What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZ Herald: Tonga warm up match against New Zealand Māori in October

Matua

Bench
Isn’t this post grand final and long before the pre season starts? What’s the NRL got to do with it?
They forced NZ to host an Aus v Tonga match (due to cheaper stadium hire) so I guess they have some say in what goes on between grand final and preseason.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
event companies exploiting rugby league: seems to be the latest tendency. with a bit of luck both parties would come to a compromise as there are obvious benefits to running this sort of thing.

RedVee

First Grade
I wonder if the RLPA had a say in it. Otherwise, yes I agree it’s probably a financial issue.

roughyedspud

Coach
The RLPA have no right to have a say...

Why aren't the NZRL helping out with this fixture?? Surely the NZ Maori come under the umbrella of the NZRL ???

And I know the RLIF & APRLC don't arrange bi lateral games but surely because of the ineptitude of the pacific nations in arranging their own games,then Jeremy Edwards,the new RLIF southern GM,has to step in and knock some heads together??

Matua

Bench
The RLPA have no right to have a say...

Why aren't the NZRL helping out with this fixture?? Surely the NZ Maori come under the umbrella of the NZRL ???

And I know the RLIF & APRLC don't arrange bi lateral games but surely because of the ineptitude of the pacific nations in arranging their own games,then Jeremy Edwards,the new RLIF southern GM,has to step in and knock some heads together??
WTF? Is NZ expected to organise every international fixture these days? Next we'll have Wales and Scotland wanting to play a game in Dunedin.

roughyedspud

Coach
At the end of the day the NZRL have 100+ years of RL administration experience...I'm not saying they underwrite it all..just lend a helping hand to assure these games actually happens!

Matua

Bench
At the end of the day the NZRL have 100+ years of RL administration experience...I'm not saying they underwrite it all..just lend a helping hand to assure these games actually happens!
The NRL are the most experienced and well funded league administrative body in the world and they couldn't organise an Oz v Tonga test match on their own. Why would you expect a nearly part time, financially strapped body, to jump in organise all these matches at extremely late notice?

deluded pom?

Coach
The NRL are the most experienced and well funded league administrative body in the world and they couldn't organise an Oz v Tonga test match on their own. Why would you expect a nearly part time, financially strapped body, to jump in organise all these matches at extremely late notice?
And why should they? If Tonga want to sit at the big boys’ table then they need to learn how things are organised. Just demanding a game and then sitting back while someone else does the spade work isn’t going to work.

Matua

Bench
And why should they? If Tonga want to sit at the big boys’ table then they need to learn how things are organised. Just demanding a game and then sitting back while someone else does the spade work isn’t going to work.
Um, I don't think you're quite following these posts - we're discussing the NZRL, not Tonga.

roughyedspud

Coach
We're talking about both...the NZRL should be passing on their knowledge so Tonga can arrange these games on their own one day

Latest posts