What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZ - Kiwi Squad?

Johns Magic

Referee
Anderson Names Kiwis Squad
05/10/2004 01:19 PM NewstalkZB

The Kiwis team for the first Tri-Series rugby league test against the Kangaroos at North Harbour Stadium next weekend has been named.

Coach Daniel Anderson has picked a 17 strong squad.

In the backs, Brent Webb is fullback, Francis Meli and Matt Utai are the wings, Nigel Vagana and Paul Whatuira are the centres, Vince Anderson is the surprise five eighth with Thomas Leuluai the halfback.

In the forwards, the starting props are Jason Cayless and Ruben Wiki with young Warrior Louis Anderson the hooker.

Penrith pair Tony Puletua and Joe Galuvao make up the second row with Sonny Bill Williams at loose forward.

The interchange bench is: Motu Tony, Nathan Cayless, Roy Asotasi and David Kidwell.

There are three new caps in the squad, Webb, Anderson and Asotasi

Where is Rauhihi?

WarriorDog

Juniors
I cant believe that Daniel Anderson has gone for Vinnie Anderson at standoff!! #-o
With Thomas Leuluai at half, intelligent tactical kicking will be almost non-existent. Why isnt Lolesi in the 17? ..and they've stuck Wiki at prop...and where's Marcus Perenara...I thought they might have put him at standoff - at least his kicking game is far better than Leuluai's. Geez, the Kiwis are going to struggle IMO.

Rauhihi has been rested until the UK tests to allow his calf injury to heal.

doogiehowser_md

Juniors
WarriorDog said:
I cant believe that Daniel Anderson has gone for Vinnie Anderson at standoff!! #-o
With Thomas Leuluai at half, intelligent tactical kicking will be almost non-existent. Why isnt Lolesi in the 17? ..and they've stuck Wiki at prop...and where's Marcus Perenara...I thought they might have put him at standoff - at least his kicking game is far better than Leuluai's. Geez, the Kiwis are going to struggle IMO.

Yeah I wouldve had Motu Tony at standoff. I think they should give Matthew Ridge a call hes still pretty fit or maybe Tasesa Lavea Super 12 is over. A bummer about Johnathan Thurston. Hopefully their just resting Lolesi for the rest of the Tri Nations because there is no doubt that he has played tons better than Meli. I wish Stacey could see what he's done by retiring.

Corbin

Juniors
i was really hoping toupo and perenara would get a go in this test cmon monu tony break a leg or arm!

drop meli he sucks

doogiehowser_md

Juniors
What about Shontayne Hape???

He maybe an alrite player and maybe playing well in ESL but we all know its not up to the standard that NRL is. I think Lolesi, Vagana, Whatuira, SBW would be before Shontayne but the word is he will be selected for the English leg of the Tri Nations

Martli

Coach
From the Doggies website:

Tuesday, October 05, 2004 12:14:27 PM
BULLDOGS NAMED IN KIWI SQUADS
Mitsubishi Electric Bulldogs player's, Matt Utai, Sonny Bill Williams, and Roy Asotasi have been selected in the New Zealand Test team to meet the Australian Kangaroos on the 16th October. Bulldogs centre, Jamaal Lolesi has been named in an extended Kiwi Squad that will contest the Tri-Series.

At this stage it is unclear if Utai will take his place in the Kiwi Test Team as he is due to undergo ankle surgery.

NZ team to play Australia:
Brent Webb (Warriors)
Francis Meli (Warriors)
Nigel Vagana (Cronulla)
Paul Whatuira (Penrith)
Matt Utai (Bulldogs)
Vinnie Anderson (Warriors)
Thomas Leuluai (Warriors)
Jason Cayless (Sydney Roosters)
Louis Anderson (Warriors),
Ruben Wiki (capt, Canberra)
Tony Puletua (Penrith)
Joe Galuvao (Penrith)
Sonny Bill Williams (Bulldogs)
Motu Tony (Castleford)
Roy Asotasi (Bulldogs)
Nathan Cayless (Parramatta)
David Kidwell (Melbourne).

Also named in extended squad:
Paul Rauhihi (North Queensland)
Jamaal Lolesi (Bulldogs)
Clinton Toopi (Warriors)
Dean Halatau (West Tigers)
Wairangi Koopu (Warriors)

Martli

Coach
In my opinion, Williams should be on the bench with Kidwell at lock, the guy's an asset to bring on against a tireing team.

bartman

Immortal
This squad is only for the first test, to be played in the southern hemisphere.

The full Tri-Series squad will be expanded to include a choice from ESL players as follows:
Willie Talau (already named in train-on squad)
David Solomona (already named in train-on squad)
Players from Bradford, Wigan and Leeds, whose competition commitments are still going. eg Robbie Paul, Lesley Vainikolo, Ali Lauiti'iti, Shontayne Hape, maybe Logan Swann.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Why didnt they have Anderson at fullback, and Halatau at 5/8. I mean he has played 5/8 for Tigers before. They are really gonna get smashed.

Australia's tactics: up and under.

And with the others in the squad, I dont think there's enough props in the team.

Ray

Juniors
Not enough props? Asotasi, Wiki, N and J Cayless, and Puletua as cover not enough for you? :roll:

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I forgot Asotasi was there. :oops:

But where's Frank Pritchard?

Injured? :?

The forwards arent really a problem for New Zealand, but the backs are ordinary. Mind you Vainikolo, Hape, Paul, Meli are good.

Iafeta

Referee
PARRA_FAN said:
Why didnt they have Anderson at fullback, and Halatau at 5/8. I mean he has played 5/8 for Tigers before. They are really gonna get smashed.

Australia's tactics: up and under.

And with the others in the squad, I dont think there's enough props in the team.

Why?

I'd imagine Brent Webb is one of the safest under the high ball in the NRL. Certainly have far more faith on him than either Bowen or Minichiello. Webb does a fair job at the back.

Latest posts