What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZ performance v GB

expansionist

Juniors
At the risk of sounding like a sore loser (which I'm not) or an aussie supporter (which I'm not), or p1ssing off kiwis (which i dont want to do) i have to say - I really didnt think the NZ performance was anything to get carried away by.

Sure they won and won very well, but they benefited from many calls or bounces of the ball which contributed.

To be honest, i thought they were solid, and tough, but overall I wasnt that impressed with the Kiwi play.

They barged it up and beat GB down the middle, and thats fine, but I feel if they play that way they wont beat Australia.

Thoughts?

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Down the middle is where the game is won so whatever works. The thing is NZ lack a little bit of X-Factor with Sonny-Bill, Benji, Solomona, Faiumu not there. You can only play with what you have and NZ can't rely on the individual brilliance of an Inglis or Lockyer to carry them to victory. Last night NZ put in a team performance, similar to what they did against the Aussies second time round before the Inglis/Lockyer brilliance shone through.

The first time against GB Webb provided some individual brilliance to get NZ across. Last night it was much more of a team performance, especially in the middle of the park where games are won and lost. Too many times GB went wide aimlessly because they couldn't make any metres up the middle, and their defence was backpeddling because NZ was doing the opposite. The Kiwis don't have the attacking brilliance but last night they played more as a team than they have previously and that's what they need to build on if they happen to make the final.

ozbash

Referee
the difference last night was stacey jones. he is starting to show what he is capable of.

much as i hate to admit it, vagana had a good game and so did webb.

there were signs of 05 in their game last night and the encouraging thing about the kiwis is that they are the only team in the comp to progressivly get better and show improvement.
they would have blown the roo's off the park last night and if they continue with the improvement ( and i cant see why not) then i,m really looking forward to the final,,,,, if we make it.

KiWi_BoI_15

Juniors
I loved seeing both centres and wingers carting up the ball like forwards! are these kids tough or what? Matai lost it for a while but he fronted up all night and didnt go into hiding like Willie 'The Cat" Mason.

I think David Fa'alogo had an awesome game with some strong carries, he really stepped it up for us, as well as Dene Halatau with some strong darts outta dummy half.

Highlight of the night Asotasi bumping off Fielden and shrugging off Morley in the same run.:cool:

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
The thing is, Australia are not the unstoppable enemy the first post makes them out to be. We don't need to be that spectacular to beat them. We should have beaten them with a similar performance in Melbourne a few weeks ago.

I thought Asotasi, Wiki, Fa'alogo, Mannering, Kidwell, Pritchard, Blair- well, basically all of the forwards were strong on attack- strength, footwork, quick play the balls, constantly over the advantage line. However, when we did go wide, we looked an improved side over our previous performances- look at Webb's two tries from slick passes from Jones, and especially the Vatuvei try which was beautiful.

eels_fan_01

Bench
GB really need to win a tournament to get any credibility, they have lost it all again in this years series.

Micistm

Bench
Fair point...although I feel you are a bit harsh to the Kiwis. Many wins from many teams (In any sport) are down to the bounce of the ball or rulings that go your way. That's sport.
As for getting carried away- No way! In this comp GB, Aussie or NZ can beat the other teams on their day. That's what makes it great. The reason Kiwi fans are enjoying this (Getting 'carried away' if you like) is because we have not had much to cheer about over the comp. The Fein disaster has overshadowed a decent Kiwi side, unfairly so IMO, and pretty much everyone, NZ media included, gave them NO chance to win by a decent margin last night. They did. So excuse us for enjoying the win!!!
No way am I suggesting they are guaranteed of making the final, nor am I suggesting if they did they would win judging by last night. However- You are just as carried away suggesting the Kiwis wouldn't win judging by what you saw last night! Very presumptuous!!!! I think this comp is open to the team who is hungry enough to turn it on for 80 minutes in the final (in the case of NZ or GB, if they make it), and that's great!!!

carlnz

Bench
expansionist said:
They barged it up and beat GB down the middle, and thats fine, but I feel if they play that way they wont beat Australia.
Thoughts?

I thought we played better last night then the match against Australia in Melbourne and we nearly won that..

JJ

Immortal
expansionist said:
At the risk of sounding like a sore loser (which I'm not) or an aussie supporter (which I'm not), or p1ssing off kiwis (which i dont want to do) i have to say - I really didnt think the NZ performance was anything to get carried away by.

Sure they won and won very well, but they benefited from many calls or bounces of the ball which contributed.

To be honest, i thought they were solid, and tough, but overall I wasnt that impressed with the Kiwi play.

Thoughts?

if you're not a sore loser, an Aussie fan or trying to piss Kiwis off, can you explain what you're up to?

I firmly believe that on the form shown so far, that performance would have rolled what looks like the poorest Australian side in a longwhile by 13+...

Kurt Angle

First Grade
You NZ'ers are idiots.

NZ last night would of beaten the Aussie team that played in Sydney, but that was a mickey mouse team.

There's a reason why you lost the first two games... a first choice Australian side 9 times out of 10 will lift just to play to the level required to beat NZ.

Escept just after state of origin, then it will be 50 point floggings all the time.

There's a reason NZ said "NO" to playing Australia in June/July anymore.

Bob8

Juniors
Kurt Angle said:
You NZ'ers are idiots.

NZ last night would of beaten the Aussie team that played in Sydney, but that was a mickey mouse team.

There's a reason why you lost the first two games... a first choice Australian side 9 times out of 10 will lift just to play to the level required to beat NZ.

Escept just after state of origin, then it will be 50 point floggings all the time.

:-k

I did not realise that Australia were playing their Jim Beam Cup team.

My apologies.

JJ

Immortal
Kurt Angle said:
You NZ'ers are idiots.

meh - we'll see. I'm comfortable with our form despite the missing key players - and I'm comfortable that this Aust team is the most mediocre I've ever seen

Bob8

Juniors
Whilst Mr Angle does not seem the most incisive, he may well have a point.

Certainly, I remember the last series GB lost 2-1 (I think) to the Aussies when it was 1-1 going into the final game. The Kangaroos then pulled out a breath taking performance. GB fans were in mourning, but I remember thinking that this was the first time in my memory that we had made the Aussies raise their game to that level.