What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZ test team

Anonymous

Juniors
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't think they'd come within buckleys of beating Australia at full strength on NZ friendly wickets.

You also have to take into account that Australia isn't far from NZ as other countires so it wouldn't take as long for them to settle down and get aclimatised.

JJ

Immortal
Earl said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't think they'd come within buckleys of beating Australia at full strength on NZ friendly wickets.

You also have to take into account that Australia isn't far from NZ as other countires so it wouldn't take as long for them to settle down and get aclimatised.

We're both entitled to our opinions - but let's review.

The last test series we played in Australia was drawn 0-0. A foolish Steve Waugh declaration (prompted, admittedly by a rain interruption) nearly cost you the first test - which was saved only by McGrath bowling four feet wide of off-stump to Cairns.

The second test we were lucky as it rained again.

The third we very nearly won, you were saved by a Warne 99, and a couple of abysmal umpiring decisions in your favour (Waugh hit the cover off a Vetorri delivery, was caught by Parore and given not out.

In the ensueing one-day series we absolutely dominated you through shrewd tactics and superb fast bowling by Shane Bond.

In the world cup you beat us, but again Shane Bond decimated your vaunted (justfiably) batting line-up.

IMO we are the second best test team in the world, we drew a series in India (which you haven't managed, who are our bunnies at home, regardless of the state of wickets), we drew one in Australia, we just thrashed SA in a one-day series, we probably have the best captain in the world who seems to have matured greatly as a batsman too, and unlike South Africa we are not intimidated by your aggressive approach (both verbal and cricketing).

So, I dunno, I'd reckon there's ample evidence that we'd come within buckley's, as you put it. Especially given that we did last time we played (and it was Aust who weren't within Buckley's in the ODIs), and Shane Bond (when fit) seems to trouble the Aust batsmen terrible.

bayrep

Juniors
I think its a bit early to be saying that NZ would kick Aus's butt in a test series. Lets see what NZ can do against SA first. NZ has been pretty solid in the test arena over the last 2-3 years, but had a slip up in Pak. If we do win the Series against SA and then go onto kick Eng's butt, then the match up should be good as long as our bowlers are still in full force.

JJ

Immortal
I didn't say they'd kick butt - I said they'd be competitive, particlulary in NZ, and that we drew with them in Aust last time. Bond has troubled them a lot.

I don't think it's too soon, we're pretty good. Richardson, Bond, Fleming, Astle, Tuffey, Cairns, and Vettori are world class. McMillan (in tests) is close, McCullum could be very very good. It's a strong side,, why should be be backward in saying that. God, we're always praisning the rugby players, and the league players, when in reality it's the cricketers who do the best

Latest posts