What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZ Tour of South Africa

D

Deleted member 10972

At least NZ isnt opening with How. Its not a bad side, considering the departure of Marshall (county), Astle & McMillan in such short time. Mason is crap though, i might consider Mills...and if Orams bowling form is very successdul on the pitches, bat McCullum at 8, Oram at 7, and bring in another batsman.

JJ

Immortal
Mills (and Franklin) is injured (again) and not available until the odis - wouldn't want Oram bowling too much

Iafeta

Referee
lol 1988... who here remembers Ken Rutherford's first tour, when he opened in the West Indies? lol he says in his autobiography he remembers each scoring shot, and he runs through them ahahaha... those were strange days, we could compete against most of them, until we went to Pakistan or the Windies who caned us (but not at home!!). 1988, that would have been the likes of Wright, Trevor Franklin (what a fast scoring opening stand that would have been), Andrew Jones, Martin Crowe, Jeff Crowe... had Jeremy Coney gone by then? He was a hell of a player IMO.

JJ

Immortal
What we wouldn't do for Jones, Crowe and Reid now...

What a tragedy that Crowe had to retire at 32, and that John Reid didn't play enough test cricket

edabomb

First Grade
Seriously, you'd of thought Bracewell would of stressed outfield catching after the shockers we've had in recent times. We are a pathetic fielding team, all our bowlers would average 1 or 2 runs less if they played in a team that could catch.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Kallis just got dropped twice, in consecutive Chris Martin overs. Neither chance was particularly difficult. Unbelievable. We already have Martin and Taylor in the side and with O'Brien it now seems we have at least 3 spastics in the field.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
This South African team has the worst tail I have ever seen. From 8-11 they basically have 4 number 11 standard batsmen. Can't believe they didn't pick Pollock.

JJ

Immortal
NZ openers put up the usual resistance :roll:

Test is really well set up, NZ's quicks did pretty well imo - now on our "batsmen"

Manu Vatuvei said:
Kallis just got dropped twice, in consecutive Chris Martin overs. Neither chance was particularly difficult. Unbelievable. We already have Martin and Taylor in the side and with O'Brien it now seems we have at least 3 spastics in the field.

I thought Taylor was meant ot be a gun in the field? Or was that just the NZ commentary team drooling over him?

Pretty good day for the Kiwis ... Pity about our top order though, we need another Mark Richardson.

JJ

Immortal
The_MaFeeLi_Tiger said:
I thought Taylor was meant ot be a gun in the field? Or was that just the NZ commentary team drooling over him?

The latter - he can be very good, but atm he's very inconsistent

edabomb

First Grade
Like I said earlier, Cumming and Papps are wastes of spots.

Great start to the test for us though!

JJ

Immortal
Papps has to be perservered with - his first class record cannot be ignored.

I do wonder if McIntosh will ever get a go - seems relatively uncomplicated and has the right temperament.

The opening spell from Bond and Martin was terrific... just needs a solid batting effort and we're looking a good chance

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I agree

his experience is exactly what you guys need to push on

it would be good to see you guys do well against the saffas

Blaze

Juniors
hineyrulz said:
Good start by the Kiwi's, Bonds first spell was awesome.

I actually thought that Martin was at least his equal in that first spell, and probably bowled a little better than Bond overall. He had the in-form Kallis dropped twice and set the tone by dismissing Smith early.