What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZ vs SA 5th one dayer

salivor

First Grade
He was dropped as he didn't have a great time in Pakistan and it's felt that he takes too long to get going and pads up too much. He was slow again today and took right till the end of his innings to get his strike rate up to 100. I think he's still got some value but his bowling is only effective on slow tracks and against Australia who don't like it when the ball doesn't come onto the bat.

He may be dropped for the next match as well as Napier is a much harder and faster track. Also Marshell is not really an opener so they'll want to bring Papps back into the mix.

ozbash

Referee
he went off form a bit against the pakistanis.
break seems to have done the old bloke the world of good.

wittyz chick

Coach
On this Smith incident I'll just ask this then forget about it...do you agree with what Daryll Cullinan said

"He [Graeme Smith] talks too much and doesn't deliver on all the promises he makes."
Daryll Cullinan puts in his bid for a Test recall

was this the sum up of what you just wanted to say?

salivor

First Grade
I think there is some truth in what Cullinan says though that comment was made out of bitterness of a career on the slippery slope downhill. I think Smith's cockiness will help South Africa develop a winning culture in time but I think it's quite clear he's been thrown in the deep end too early on in his career and he's just been schooled by Fleming who has been through that stage and come out as the best captain currently in world cricket.

Anonymous

Juniors
As far as batting goes, Smith is still having a good series. I've got nothing against him. As for Fleming, he has had one good century, 3 scores between 30 and 55, and a golden duck. He is averaging in the 40s, good but not as sensational as some people are making out (much like his Pakistan series). People are getting carried away with Flemings form. If he really is in great form then I'd like to see a few more runs.

salivor

First Grade
Take out today's duck which should never have been given anyway and he's averaging higher than in the 40's and he's also striking in the 90's which is very impressive.

ozbash

Referee
Thierry Henry said:
As far as batting goes, Smith is still having a good series. I've got nothing against him. As for Fleming, he has had one good century, 3 scores between 30 and 55, and a golden duck. He is averaging in the 40s, good but not as sensational as some people are making out (much like his Pakistan series). People are getting carried away with Flemings form. If he really is in great form then I'd like to see a few more runs.

who cares what flem gets with the bat,, his captaincy has no equal 8)

Anonymous

Juniors
wittyz chick said:
i cant help but wonder this
NZ selectors drop Harris but when he comes back for this match get MOTM and helps you wrap the series up...why did you drop him :lol:

Cause hes pushing 60 :lol:

I officially hate Smith after today...the guys a sook.

Actually Kallis is a sook too, all McCullum did was brush past him and he had a big cry...made a great big song and dance over NOTHING...and McCullum wasn't backing down from him. Kallis was venting cos we've showed him up all series and he was frustrated.

Anyway lets obliterate them in Napier, and go into the test series with a clear mental edge over them. Smith said they're a better test team so lets see it then yarpee boy. They'll get the fright of thier lives if Bond is healthy..

salivor

First Grade
Now I'm as one eyed as the next Black Caps fan but Kallis was just walking off as if nothing had happened until McCullum said something which obviously got under his skin and it all went from there so it's a little harsh to say it was Kallis getting his knickers in a twist. I thought Graeme Smith handled it poorly though, he pushes Kallis away and then started getting stuck into McCullum himself, very un-captain like.

I had a song playing when it happened so i didnt hear the audio. I just turned around saw the replay of him brushing past and then getting his hat from the ump, then he walks straight back up to McCullum and starts going off at him. What was the Flem - Smith argument about? The commentators made out that it was about the rain.

Iafeta

Referee
From how you describe it Salivor, it reminds me of Stephen Waugh with Michael Slater in India a few years ago. People glaze over that incident funnily enough.

Thierry Henry, you're kidding yourself. Watch the dismissal again, if you think thats deserving of a golden duck, you're a golden goose.

salivor

First Grade
Who knows what the Fleming and Smith argument was about but it's unusual for Fleming to openly give it to an opposition player like that. I think it was a combination of Smith being angry at the toss as Fleming came out 2 mins late, then Fleming being shafted with the umpiring decision and the Kallis-McCullum incident was probably the last straw. Bring on Napier I say, it's good to see some aggro between cricketing sides.

salivor

First Grade
From how you describe it Salivor, it reminds me of Stephen Waugh with Michael Slater in India a few years ago. People glaze over that incident funnily enough.

Smith made an arse of the situation but he at least got involved, I think Steve Waugh just stood around and let Michael Slater carry on like a raving lunatic.

Iafeta

Referee
Well said Flem (below). Even the Black Caps are getting sick and tired of Graeme Smith. Six words Graeme boy, grow up, shut up, play ball.

Fleming’s response was that New Zealand were not going to be bullied, it was an important game and New Zealand were keen for the win. Two teams were going very hard at it, that was character in cricket, and the game needed that, he said.

He said New Zealand scoffed at reports that South Africa wanted the win more than they did.

Fleming said the form and substance being shown by the New Zealanders under new coach John Bracewell was only the beginning of something, and he stressed the point, that the side were working towards with the next World Cup in mind. Ideas would be tried, some would be discarded, but there was a grand plan.

Fleming also reacted to Smith’s comment that South Africa had been disadvantaged by the introduction of the Duckworth Lewis method after a rain shower during their innings.

“I’m not intelligent enough to keep on analysing these things he brings up. It’s a case of we dealt with what was there. To be honest they had most things in their favour. You bat first on this ground, you are usually disadvantaged. Chasing on this ground historically is the best way to go.

“You’ve only got 33 overs to chase a score, you lose four, you’ve still got wickets in hand or if you’ve lost them by being reckless at the top then you have got to look at your tactics

“I’m getting to the point where I keep hearing these things coming out, but I’m not going to bite back,” he said.

Anonymous

Juniors
Thierry Henry, you're kidding yourself. Watch the dismissal again, if you think thats deserving of a golden duck, you're a golden goose.

Of course I don't, but it WAS.

I just get a bit sick of people ranting on about Fleming's batting. It would be nice to see him make 2 scores in a series once in a while.

As for Fleming V Smith, well Fleming approached Smith, they talked for about a minute, they stopped. Kallis V McCullum-McCullum said something to Kallis, Kallis said something back, they talked for about a minute, they stopped. Who could possibly say who was right or wrong? I didn't hear Smith's post match comments so can't comment.

Latest posts