What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

O/T - Some nice NRL stories today

Hellsy

Immortal
RETIRING Bulldogs great Hazem El Masri could play his final home game in front of a record Sydney premiership crowd after more than 110,000 fans were welcomed to celebrate the occasion free of charge.
Hours after El Masri, 33, announced his retirement at an emotional Belmore Oval press conference yesterday, Bulldogs officials sent out invitations to members of all 15 rival NRL clubs to attend the winger's farewell game against the New Zealand Warriors at ANZ Stadium in round 25. Every member of the 8000-strong Bulldogs army will also be given two free tickets for the match, which is likely to be staged on Sunday, August 30.
Official Tribute book: leave your best wishes for El Masri here
Bulldogs CEO Todd Greenberg is hopeful of a 50,000-plus turn-out that could threaten the record for a regular season game in Sydney. That mark was set way back in 1966, when 55,934 people packed into the SCG to watch St George take on Balmain. Sydney's biggest NRL crowd for a non-finals game stands at 36,526 for last year's Bulldogs-Roosters grudge match at ANZ Stadium.
"All up there's over 110,000 people who are members of an NRL club - and every one of them will be given free entry to Hazem's final home game," Greenberg said last night.
"We want to make the occasion more than a farewell for a great Bulldogs player.
"It's a farewell for a great rugby league player and we think every fan should be given the chance to be part of that."
El Masri said yesterday he was likely to take up a community relations and development role with the NRL.
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,25715678-5006066,00.html

What a wonderful piece of marketing for the NRL by the Bulldogs!!!! Wow I am impressed with how they have turned their club around. If only we could have signed Todd Greenberg, I hope whoever we hire comes up with ideas like this.

Hellsy

Immortal
JUNIOR Sau spent the night at Mayfield Bowling Club. Listening to his DJ cousin spinning discs. About the tamest Saturday night you could ever get for an NRL star.
And for that a young Newcastle girl now owes him her life.
Sau is today being hailed the new White Knight of Newcastle after intervening to save a 15-year-old girl as she was being punched, kicked and glassed in a savage mob assault.
The 102kg centre was driving past a house party in Waratah on Saturday night when he noticed a group of teens encircling the gang bashing as it spilled on to the street.
The girls' distraught parents, who had responded to a phone call and arrived only moments earlier, witnessed Sau jump from his car and move toward the crowd of up to 100 teens who had already begun hurling beer bottles at their car. Speaking out last night, the girl's mother - who asked that her family remain unidentified - said she had no doubt Sau saved her daughter's life.
NRL good guy #2: Your ticket to Hazem's farewell
"When Junior arrived, they still had her on the ground, punching and kicking her in the head," she said. "But when he came across to see what was going on they all sort of moved back. "And to be honest with you, I don't even want to think about what would've happened had he kept driving. Because (name withheld) had already been glassed in the back of the head. (She) remembers someone saying 'we should cut up your face and leave you scarred for life'.
"This was the very first party we had ever let her go to. We'd been told there would be security guards too. But who knows what would've happened if Junior didn't stop to help like he did."
Phil Rothfield's blog: Buzz names team of the year
Enjoying a rare afternoon off at home yesterday, 21-year-old Sau said he had only done what any other bloke would've if confronted with the same situation.
"You see four on one, five on one, beating the crap out of a young girl, that's not fair," he shrugged. "I just saw the young girl struggling and basically got out of my car to ask the parents if they needed help.
"I used to be a security guard so I guess in the back of your mind you're thinking that you just need to break up the all-in brawl. I hung around for a while too because the kids were drinking and you never knew what else might happen."
Only hours before Roosters players Jake Friend, Mitchell Pearce and Sandor Earl would be caught up in a wild brawl at city bar Tank Nightclub - where a woman was left with facial bruising - Sau was listening to his cousin DJ for a local cricket function.
But this is far more than simply some positive PR spin midway through another black week for the NRL - as evidenced by a letter the girl's family sent to Knights HQ.
"This act will not be forgotten by our family," the typed thank you said. "We can not thank him enough for what he did. A real gentleman."
Refusing to take matters further with police, the family were last night just thankful their daughter was home safely and able to return to work for the first time yesterday.
She underwent head X-rays on Monday but was cleared of any damage while the glass that was smashed against her head also failed to produce any serious head wound.
"And for that we can thank Junior," the mother said. "Not only for stopping to help but the way he did it. He never shouted or got angry, never tried to intimidate anyone."
0,,6696922,00.jpg

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,25715589-5006066,00.html

Well done :clap: :clap: :clap:

slippy

Juniors
Well done doggies! Big respect! :clap:

CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME WITH HIGHLIGHTS OR A REPLAY ONLINE OF THE BRONCOS GAME? Bigpond isnt working!!

fish eel

Immortal
Not bad stories for a news limited paper, given the conspiracy theories around here have them with an agenda to destroy the game.

Stagger eel

Staff member
well done to Haz, the bulldogs and Junior sau...

Nathan Hindmarsh will most probably break Brett Kenny's appearence record next year and we must cellabrate this achievment in the same way the dogs are doing with Haz...

Fee

Juniors
well done to Haz, the bulldogs and Junior sau...

Nathan Hindmarsh will most probably break Brett Kenny's appearence record next year and we must cellabrate this achievment in the same way the dogs are doing with Haz...

I agree, he deserves it, and it would be great for our club.