What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oceanic Pacifica Rugby League Tournament

singaporeXIII

Juniors
Oceanic Pacifica Rugby League Media Release:

Can't make the Pacific Cup in Auckland? Well why not come along to the Oceanic Pacifica Rugby League Tournament? What is this you ask?
On the 30th of October 2004, the Inaugural Oceanic Pacifica Rugby League Tournament will be held at Pittwater Rugby Park, Warriewood, NSW. Gates open 8am with first game to start at 9am. The entry will be only $5 for the whole day if over 12. Under the age of 12 is free entry.
The teams competing on the day include Sydney North Tongans who will be coached by John Hopoate and Solomon Haumono, Fiji A who are taking on Malta 16 Oct, Wairere NSW Maori's, North Shore Barbarians, Tama Samoa and an Aboriginal side.
On the day there will be a monster raffle with all the proceeds going to the childrens ward of the Mona Vale Hospital. There will be continuous games throughout the day with breaks only for the Opening Ceremony and between semis and finals.
The Champion team will take home $5000 with runners up taking $1500. Also there will be a player of the tournament who will win $500.
Corporate boxes of 10 people, with limited food and drinks for $1000 still available(contact Sue on 0408 633 720 if interested). Tickets are available now or at the gate.

For ticket sales contact:
Sue - 0408 633 720 (Sydney North Tongans)
Phill - 0408 496 010 (Fiji A)
Steve - 0433 236 973 (Wairere NSW Maori's)
Keven - 0408 494 150 (North Shore Barbarians)
Elena - 0423 268 407 (Tama Samoa)
Andrew - 0402 135 234 (Aboriginals)

Some teams still are looking for sponsors. Contact the above numbers if interested in sponsoring the respective team.

See you out there!

singaporeXIII

Juniors
Just wanted to add that all matches will be played as full 13 a side with 4 interchanges. Halves will be 20 minutes duration with 5 minutes halftime. There will be some hard and fast footy being played.
Come out and support Pacific Island RL. The Fiji A team will be sending money back to Fiji if they win the tournament to help support the Fiji domestic comp. Pittwater Rugby Park is not far from Brookvale Oval. It will be a great day out.

yakstorm

First Grade
This is a great concept and I encourage everyone who wants to support international RL to get out there and support this concept. Most groups are using the funds to help support RL back in their local island comps, and it will also work well with the NZ Residents and Island Resident versions of the Pacific Cups being held this Summer, giving each nation a wider range of talent to pick from.

playdaball

Bench
I believe this should be expanded into a full ethnic cup not only involving Maori Aboriginals and PI teams but also teams 'representing' Greece, Lebanon, Croatia, Malta, Italy etc.

Interestingly in Auckland RU this year, post season, they had a 4 Nations tournament with players 'representing ' England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland.

thedux

Juniors
Malta was asked originally but it would have been too difficult for some of the guys who have had to travel already for the other two matches to make themselves available for the tournament, but it might be something worthwhile in the future for the smaller nations.

dazza

Staff member
can anyone tell me who is in the wairere nsw maoris team?

cheers dazza

dazza

Staff member
singaporeXIII said:
dazza said:

cheers dazza

They had an internal trial at Richie Benaud Oval yesterday. They will be naming there side on Tuesday.

cheers, any chance of putting it on here when you find out?

cheers dazza

singaporeXIII

Juniors
dazza said:
singaporeXIII said:
dazza said:

cheers dazza

They had an internal trial at Richie Benaud Oval yesterday. They will be naming there side on Tuesday.

cheers dazza

Hi Dazza. Sorry for the late reply but here is the Wairere NSW Maoris squad:

Marrin Haggie (Narraweena)
Kena Ahipene (Narraweena)
Steve Berryman (Narraweena)
Potatau Berryman (Narraweena)
Francis Cullimore (Narraweena)
Emerson Tawhara (Guildford)
Justin Horo (Roosters)
Weller Hauraki (Parramatta)
Robby King (Wentworthville)
Jermaine Awahou (Balmain)
Lance Poka (Asquith)
Steve Mathers (Wests)
Josh Cassidy (St.George)
Mark Rota (Wyong)
Nick Williams (Manly Cove)
Todd Thocolich (Parramatta)
Tyson Majoriebanks (Cromer)
Peter Lewis (Penrith)
Eddie Manuel (Windsor)
Montell Tahana (St.Clair)
Pablo Florantin (Mt.Pritchard)

Coach: Mark Horo

singaporeXIII

Juniors
Here is the Tama Samoa squad:

Sulemi Kelemete
Andrew Swann
Frank McKee
August Vaifale
Zion Afele
Vincent Graham
James Forbes
Mika Filise
Joe Schmidt
Simon Geros
Andrew Kaleopa
Nick Kisina
Gordan Graff
Bernard Tuaimau
Paul Winterstein
Tony Balkin
Damian Lee-Hung
Fono Utumou'u
Nuulua Broomhall
Junior Leota
Teika Mahuta
Fred Taufua

Not sure what clubs they are all from.

carlnz

Bench
Peter Lewis is playing for the Cook Islands in the Pacific Rim at the moment! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

singaporeXIII

Juniors
carlnz said:
Peter Lewis is playing for the Cook Islands in the Pacific Rim at the moment! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

This is the squad that the Wairere NSW Maoris have submitted. I'm not sure if it's the same Peter Lewis that you are talking about.

DIEHARD

----
This is a fantastic initiative and I wish very much that I could attend it. But because I'm from Brisbane I can't. But I am very happy such events as the Pacific Cup and the Oceanic Cup are taking place. Both these tournaments really brighten the future of Pacific RL.

singaporeXIII

Juniors
singaporeXIII said:
carlnz said:

This is the squad that the Wairere NSW Maoris have submitted. I'm not sure if it's the same Peter Lewis that you are talking about.

Carlnz, I have spoken to the Wairere NSW Maori officials and yes it is correct that Peter Lewis who is playing for the Cook Islands was the same player that the Maoris selected in there squad. Peter qualifies for both teams but opted to play for the Cook Islands and the Maoris have selected another player instead.

singaporeXIII

Juniors
DIEHARD said:
This is a fantastic initiative and I wish very much that I could attend it. But because I'm from Brisbane I can't. But I am very happy such events as the Pacific Cup and the Oceanic Cup are taking place. Both these tournaments really brighten the future of Pacific RL.

A whole day of Pacific Island Rugby League action with 6 teams participating is only $5 entry. I urge any people that live in Sydney to attend. It will be a great day and it will help promote Pacific Island RL. This tournament will be an annual fixture if the inaugural one is a success. So please attend if you are in the area. Cheers

MRLA

Juniors
Malta Rep's Shane Magro and Matt Zammit have been selected to represent the North Shore Barbarians in the upcoming Oceanic Pacifica Tournament.

17 year old front row forward Magro, has played all his junior representative football with the St George Dragons, most recently in Harold Matthews.

While 20 year old Matt 'Mousie' Zammit from Western Sydney who has scored 3 tries in 2 appearances for Malta. Zammit played his junior representative football as a winger with the Penrith Panthers until recently opting to play park football for Blacktown City. Mousie as he is known, is the Maltese version of the Bulldogs' Matt Utai, boasting a load of speed all the way to the line.

Both are young players with big futures ahead of them.

carlnz

Bench
singaporeXIII said:
singaporeXIII said:
carlnz said:

Carlnz, I have spoken to the Wairere NSW Maori officials and yes it is correct that Peter Lewis who is playing for the Cook Islands was the same player that the Maoris selected in there squad. Peter qualifies for both teams but opted to play for the Cook Islands and the Maoris have selected another player instead.

Thanks mate thought it could of been another Peter Lewis :lol:

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
singaporeXIII said:
dazza said:
singaporeXIII said:
dazza said:

cheers dazza

cheers dazza

Hi Dazza. Sorry for the late reply but here is the Wairere NSW Maoris squad:

Marrin Haggie (Narraweena)
Kena Ahipene (Narraweena)
Steve Berryman (Narraweena)
Potatau Berryman (Narraweena)
Francis Cullimore (Narraweena)
Emerson Tawhara (Guildford)
Justin Horo (Roosters)
Weller Hauraki (Parramatta)
Robby King (Wentworthville)
Jermaine Awahou (Balmain)
Lance Poka (Asquith)
Steve Mathers (Wests)
Josh Cassidy (St.George)
Mark Rota (Wyong)
Nick Williams (Manly Cove)
Todd Thocolich (Parramatta)
Tyson Majoriebanks (Cromer)
Peter Lewis (Penrith)
Eddie Manuel (Windsor)
Montell Tahana (St.Clair)
Pablo Florantin (Mt.Pritchard)

Coach: Mark Horo

a few familar names in there...steve berryman goes good, mark rota, frankie cullimore..tyson majoriebanks goes sweet, well he did when he was at otahuhu

dazza

Staff member
thanks for that singaporeXIII.

you`re right about tyson hoe. also montell tahana, he played for the tornadoes i think, about 3 years ago. he went over to penrith with hare te rangi.

hare is over here at the moment & is playing for tuhoe at the maori nationals this wekend .

jermaine awahou rings a bell too. didn`t he play for canterbury in the bartercard cup? good hard player.

cheers dazza

Latest posts