What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ODI Squad vs India...

Bazal

Post Whore
Just announced

Aaron Finch (c), Jason Behrendorff, Alex Carey (wk), Peter Handscomb, Usman Khawaja, Nathan Lyon, Mitch Marsh, Shaun Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Jhye Richardson, Peter Siddle, Billy Stanlake, Marcus Stoinis, Adam Zampa

Sauce

Is that the worst ODI squad we've ever picked?

Seriously with the WC just around the corner, if we select anything like that we may not get out of the group stages....

For reference, India;

Virat Kohli (c), Rohit Sharma (vc), KL Rahul, Shikhar Dhawan, Ambati Rayudu, Dinesh Karthik, Kedar Jadhav, MS Dhoni (wk), Hardik Pandya, Kuldeep Yadav, Yuzvendra Chahal, Ravindra Jadeja, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Jasprit Bumrah, Khaleel Ahmed, Mohammed Shami

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/aus...-india-khawaja-siddle-lyon-maxwell/2019-01-04

Last edited by a moderator:

mave

Coach
Handscomb
Siddle....really ? That is madness. Good to see the selectors opt for some youth before the WC
M.Marsh will be the (VC) I assume. Lol

Like Carey and Stanlake though.
Hope Fattys confidence isn't shot after a failed test series.

Wizardman

First Grade
They are obviously giving the quicks a rest....they need one. They are also giving Lyon a shot at the squad.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I’d give Khawaja a little break before the SL tests, the dramas with his brother wouldn’t be a good thing.

Get him best prepared and a better head space for the tests than these ODI, of course he may want to be playing to keep his mind off thjngs plus win a spot on the WC squad

Bazal

Post Whore
So if we're honest, the likely "best" lineup is what...something like this?

Finch (SR 90)
SMarsh (SR 80)
Khawaja (SR 82)
Handscomb (SR 87-List A, less than 10 ODIs)
Maxwell (SR 121, but average only 32)
MMarsh (SR 93)
Stoinis (SR 98)
Richardson
Behrendorff
Lyon
Stanlake

So just as a very simple average, our top 7 strike rate is 93. And that's heavily boosted by The Hit or Miss Show.

It's like they still think 275 is a great score...

Fangs

Coach
George Bailey should literally walk into the bloody team. Will do a lot more than Handscomb in the middle order.

Bazal

Post Whore
Thanks for adding the source that was already there, nameless moderator :p

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Too many Victorins for mine but Warnie the Whinger still not happy

https://www.news.com.au/sport/crick...d/news-story/631b1225eab3e4376e230a7f3b3b1d15

Trevor Hohn's comments are even funnier

Shane Warne criticises Australia’s new-look ODI squad
A furious Shane Warne has declared the “ridiculous” selections in Australian cricket must stop after another shake-up was revealed today.

news.com.auJANUARY 4, 20192:21PM

Chairman of selectors Trevor Hohns said Head, Lynn and Short hadn’t taken their chances as he explained the selection decisions.

“All three have had opportunities to cement their spots but, unfortunately, they have not been as productive as we would have liked in recent times when playing ODI cricket for Australia,” Hohns said.

“After a disappointing period in ODI cricket, the national selection panel along with team coaches have reviewed our performances across this format and we’ve identified a number of key areas that we feel we need to improve in order to help put this team in the best-possible position to turn this period around.

“With this in mind and the World Cup looming, we’ve selected players we feel provide us with the flexibility to play a variety of roles at different stages of a match.

“Usman is a batsman we know can put vital runs on the board at the top of the order, and Peter (Handscomb) is not only a fine player of spin bowling, he’s also a batsman we know can hold an innings together while keeping the scoreboard ticking over.”

AUSTRALIAN SQUAD: Aaron Finch (capt), Usman Khawaja, Shaun Marsh, Peter Handscomb, Glenn Maxwell, Marcus Stoinis, Mitch Marsh, Alex Carey, Jhye Richardson, Billy Stanlake, Jason Behrendorff, Peter Siddle, Nathan Lyon, Adam Zampa.

Bazal

Post Whore

https://www.news.com.au/sport/crick...d/news-story/631b1225eab3e4376e230a7f3b3b1d15

A furious Shane Warne has declared the “ridiculous” selections in Australian cricket must stop after another shake-up was revealed today.

Chairman of selectors Trevor Hohns said Head, Lynn and Short hadn’t taken their chances as he explained the selection decisions.

“All three have had opportunities to cement their spots but, unfortunately, they have not been as productive as we would have liked in recent times when playing ODI cricket for Australia,” Hohns said.

“After a disappointing period in ODI cricket, the national selection panel along with team coaches have reviewed our performances across this format and we’ve identified a number of key areas that we feel we need to improve in order to help put this team in the best-possible position to turn this period around.

“With this in mind and the World Cup looming, we’ve selected players we feel provide us with the flexibility to play a variety of roles at different stages of a match.

“Usman is a batsman we know can put vital runs on the board at the top of the order, and Peter (Handscomb) is not only a fine player of spin bowling, he’s also a batsman we know can hold an innings together while keeping the scoreboard ticking over.”

AUSTRALIAN SQUAD: Aaron Finch (capt), Usman Khawaja, Shaun Marsh, Peter Handscomb, Glenn Maxwell, Marcus Stoinis, Mitch Marsh, Alex Carey, Jhye Richardson, Billy Stanlake, Jason Behrendorff, Peter Siddle, Nathan Lyon, Adam Zampa.

Ok Trev, but how do you justify picking four batsmen with strike rates in the 80s to set the innings up?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I think its funny, well not funny but actually sad, that Head is in the test team but dropped from the ODI team.

I think he is a talent but at the shorter version of the game.

TheParraboy

Staff member

“All three have had opportunities to cement their spots but, unfortunately, they have not been as productive as we would have liked in recent times when playing ODI cricket for Australia,” Hohns said

Someone needs to take Hohns into a deep remote pasture...

Bazal

Post Whore

“All three have had opportunities to cement their spots but, unfortunately, they have not been as productive as we would have liked in recent times when playing ODI cricket for Australia,” Hohns said

Someone needs to take Hohns into a deep remote pasture...

Here's a big question.

How the f**k did Hohns get back to being Chairman of Selectors?

He stood down in 2006 or so because he was doing a shit job...why did we go back to the bloke?

TIGER14

Bench

Here's Warnie's disaster of a team:

I haven’t been watching enough limited overs cricket, who should be in the team?

Will say, though. I think Starc should be playing this series & instead rested for the Sri Lanka tests. He’s a great white ball bowler, let’s get him ready for the World Cup.

Bazal

Post Whore
I haven’t been watching enough limited overs cricket, who should be in the team?

Will say, though. I think Starc should be playing this series & instead rested for the Sri Lanka tests. He’s a great white ball bowler, let’s get him ready for the World Cup.

My side would be something like

1-Chris Lynn/Darcy Short (one or the other)
2-Aaron Finch (captain so probs has to be there)
3-Jake Weatherald
4-Sam Heazlett/Ben McDermott/Callum Ferguson
5-Maxwell/MMarsh
6-Carey
7-Stoinis
And then there are a few bowlers you could put in.

Ben McDermott I straight up don't like because he can't run between the wickets, but he smashed it in JLT Cup. Heazlett did well too. Both strike at over 100, which is important for top order bats these days. Ferguson is obviously an old head who knows the role and also had a quality JLT Cup, striking at 98 for his average of 55.

Weatherald has been banging the door down for two seasons now IMO. Averages 47, strikes at 102 (and 108 this most recent season). Plus he can build an innings in this format.

Lynn is obvious IMO. Yeah his 4 ODIs haven't been stellar but the bloke just scored 450 JLT runs at an average of 75 and striking around 120.

Ultimately with a view to the world cup, we need a side capable of scoring 350s. The selected side isn't. I also don't think you need three all rounders, and Stoinis is a great weapon down the order

Latest posts