What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Of Course Origin still the ultimate?

shinobi

Juniors
I love international RL. Some of the best games at the last RLWC were between 2 lower ranked teams.
Great, competitive, RL.

agreed. it may not have the same level of structure or polish but it makes up for it with a fair bit of passion and unpredictability.

Stranga

Juniors
SOO will always be the main event with NSW calling 'shotgun' on all the promising islanders playing in the NRL with their shitty city+foreigners vs country+foreigners bs.

deluded pom?

Coach
With absolutely 0 confusion about just who will be playing in the finals.

Sorry but Australia & NZ bashing the crap out of tonga/png/fiji dosen't interest me.

Yep, there was never any doubt NZ would walk all over England in the Wembley WC semi was there?

wests1

Juniors
I'd put that 2013 Eng vs NZ game as number one game of RL of all time (that I have seen). I'd also put last year's game in Dunedin in my top 5. Both epic games - maybe it's the fact I'm a neutral, and so origin can be equally as painful as exciting, but they both went from end to end with solid defence and tight finishes.

strong_latte

Juniors
With absolutely 0 confusion about just who will be playing in the finals.

Sorry but Australia & NZ bashing the crap out of tonga/png/fiji dosen't interest me.

So what? The English Premier League is ALWAYS traded between the same 3-4 teams and is predictable as f**k when it comes to the winner because the rest of the 20 odd sides just making up the numbers. That doesn't mean the competitions don't have good matches and contests though.

For the record, they're not even all mismatches anymore either. Samoa pushed England in last year's 4N and also gave the Kiwis a decent shake.

The League World Cup may not be a genuine global event, but it gives the sport a bigger stage and exposes it to new audiences, and ultimately that's good enough for me and a lot of others.

Bronco Rob

Juniors
I don't share your thoughts on NRL imperialism. The Australian public has to divide itself across 4 different simultaneous football codes, people like you who have ideas of nationwide domination are deluded. The average Victorian is going to tell you to f**k off with your rugby league the same way I'm going to tell them to f**k off with their AFL, rightfully so.

I was stating internationally but if you actually took your blinkers off and actually learnt a bit about the game you would realise that RL is making good inroads in Victoria with the juniors and seniors growing well. It will never overtake AFL in popularity in some states but we shouldn't shut the shop up either in trying.

The biggest issue the game faces internationally is the audience to differentiate our code to Union and the World Cup plays a big role in this. I'm not sure how you can't comprehend that growing the game will actually benefit the clubs in the NRL and more test matches helps this. We see a lot of whingeing about losing players to other codes but then also these same whingers couldn't give a stuff about the International game.

Matterhorn

Juniors
International Rugby League can only get bigger with more nations coming on board.

The best origin can offer is to invite Victoria, WA to participate in 30 - 50 years time

RedVee

First Grade
A Victorian school has just displaced Holy Cross Ryde in the premier schools competition.

deluded pom?

Coach
So what? The English Premier League is ALWAYS traded between the same 3-4 teams and is predictable as f**k when it comes to the winner because the rest of the 20 odd sides just making up the numbers. That doesn't mean the competitions don't have good matches and contests though.

It's the same scenario in most of Europe's top soccer leagues. It doesn't stop the fans turning out every week.

wests1

Juniors
A Victorian school has just displaced Holy Cross Ryde in the premier schools competition.

Is this fair dinkim? That is outstanding if true. And before someone jumps in, it doesn't mean that Holy Cross has lost it's League prowess - look at the players that have emerged for Wests Tigers over the past 4-5 years from there.

Bronco Rob

Juniors
Is this fair dinkim? That is outstanding if true. And before someone jumps in, it doesn't mean that Holy Cross has lost it's League prowess - look at the players that have emerged for Wests Tigers over the past 4-5 years from there.

Yes it is fair dinkum, a Melbourne school is in the top 8 schoolboy comp. It was a case of Holy Cross not having the cattle there this year but they want to get back into the fold, they haven't jumped ship or anything like that.