What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off-contract players 2021

Maddragon99

Juniors
I've always said that Millward needed to be sent packing at the same time as Mary. It was always a Millward MESS. We replaced a professional recruitment manager with a political appointee and so, now it is time to replace Millward with a professional recruitment manager. I'm sure Haran and Griffin will do this by the end of 2021 when most ineffective players will also get their marching orders.

2021 will be a season for developing our backline and clime to the top 8 of the ladder.

2022 will see the Dragons develop a strong pack of forwards and clime to the top 4 of the ladder.
This would be the most ideal outcome, 8th place next year with the squad we have would be a remarkable outcome.

Timing is everything, our rejuvenation in ‘22 & beyond will coincide with teams like Roosters & Storm having to rebuild with players like Cordener & Cam Smith retiring.

One or two additions like Angus Crichton will really get us to top four.

Reactions: jak

possm

Coach
This would be the most ideal outcome, 8th place next year with the squad we have would be a remarkable outcome.

Timing is everything, our rejuvenation in ‘22 & beyond will coincide with teams like Roosters & Storm having to rebuild with players like Cordener & Cam Smith retiring.

Yes I agree regarding the signing of a few top forwards however, just remember that we have a far better and more experienced coaching staff these days and a few new young backs with size, speed and talent.

I have no doubt that our backs will do the job and gain valuable experience in 2021. I am also confident that Griffin and his staff will ride the forwards very hard and rotate them when they need a break. I'm sure the a few of them will be glad to move on from such a tough task master.

So, if De Belin becomes available and Bird can make the right edge forward's position his own for 2021, I'd say our forwards will amaze everyone with their ability to lay a platform in attack and defend stoutly when required.

Yes I agree regarding the signing of a few top forwards however, just remember that we have a far better and more experienced coaching staff these days and a few new young backs with size, speed and talent.

I have no doubt that our backs will do the job and gain valuable experience in 2021. I am also confident that Griffin and his staff will ride the forwards very hard and rotate them when they need a break. I'm sure the a few of them will be glad to move on from such a tough task master.

So, if De Belin becomes available and Bird can make the right edge forward's position his own for 2021, I'd say our forwards will amaze everyone with their ability to lay a platform in attack and defend stoutly when required.
If we have deBellin available and Bird stays fit we’re easy peasy top 4.

jak

Bench

most of the tools have been there for years,all we have ever needed is a good mechanic/coach

possm

Coach
As of now we have 11 players coming off-contract in 2021.
I haven't included DeBelin and note that Vaughan has a player option for 2022, which as far as I know he hasn't taken up as yet.

Blacker
Brittain
Dufty
Ellis
Fuimaono
McInnes
Merrin
Norman
Periera
Vaughan
Williame

So, from this list, who would you re-sign as of now?
Remember letting players go means also replacing them within the squad.
To change our teams standing within the competition we must make significant change. So far we have changed our CEO and our coaching staff. Unfortunately we have lost Leilua and Frizell but happily have lost Aitken and Lafai. We still need to lose some and replace them with gun players who show pride in wearing the Big Red V.

It is still too early to identify who we should let go, I would need to see how these players perform on the field over the first few rounds to firm up my opinion. But for this excerise I will go with what I saw last year and hope some of the players identified to be cut will step up to the right standard:

To Be Cut
Dufty - replaced by Ramsey
McInnes - replaced by Hunt
Brittain - replaced by H Lomax
Merrin - replaced by De Belin or Bird
Norman - replaced by Sullivan
Periera - replaced by Matt Feagai
Williame - replaced by Max Feagai

Some of the above 7 replacements will need to be covered for Canterbury Cup. Most will come from our pathways program but a few forwards will be recruited. It would be ideal if the majority of Canterbury Cup players were on the minimum salary level in order to stretch our salary cap as far as possible for the NRL top 17. Quality forwards will be our main priority for 2022 as I believe we now have the backs to do the job over the next few years.

From the players we currently have in our squad I have listed my 17 for 2022 as follows:

Run-on 13
Ramsey
Feagai
Lomax
Feagai
Ravalawa
Sullivan
Clune
Vaughan
Hunt
Faamausili
Sims
Bird (c)
De Belin

Bench
Kerr
Alvaro
Laurie
Ford

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
To change our teams standing within the competition we must make significant change. So far we have changed our CEO and our coaching staff. Unfortunately we have lost Leilua and Frizell but happily have lost Aitken and Lafai. We still need tjo lose some and replace them with gun players who show pride in wearing the Big Red V.

It is still too early to identify who we should let go, I would need to see how these players perform on the field over the first few rounds to firm up my opinion. But for this excerise I will go with what I saw last year and hope some of the players identified to be cut will step up to the right standard:

To Be Cut

Some of the above 7 replacements will need to be covered for Canterbury Cup. Most will come from our pathways program but a few forwards will be recruited. It would be ideal if the majority of Canterbury Cup players were on the minimum salary level in order to stretch our salary cap as far as possible for the NRL top 17. Quality forwards will be our main priority for 2022 as I believe we now have the backs to do the job over the next few years.
Don’t understand the first 3
But based on what you’ve seen the first, third and maybe No 6 baffle me right now
Would you mind please explaining why and when you’ve watched those replacements playing those positions from sunny QLD
Happy to be convinced as some have great potential.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Don’t understand the first 3
But based on what you’ve seen the first and third one baffle me
I’d like to know when you’ve watched those replacements playing those positions from sunny QLD..and prove they are better
The back 3 I have selected have size, speed and hopefully good defence after this off-season.

Ramsey has the speed, agility but in addition, he has the solid defence, confidence under the high ball and the robust carries from kick returns.

Matt Feagai and Ravalawa are big wingers with speed and the ability to score long distance tries. They will be judged on their 2021 form however, I am very confident that they will succeed in securing a place in our NRL team's backline.

I have absolutely no doubt Max Feagai and Lomax will be our first grade centres way into the future.

By moving McInnes and Norman on, we add about 1.3m to our current cap total. The cap will be surely needed to recruit some talented forwards to better balance the team.

Much will depend on the availability of De Belin, the fitness of Bird in the forwards. All will depend on Griffin's ability to get his forwards to step up in defence as our weakest point will be our defence in the middle.

Crush

Coach
The back 3 I have selected have size, speed and hopefully good defence after this off-season.

Ramsey has the speed, agility but in addition, he has the solid defence, confidence under the high ball and the robust carries from kick returns.

Matt Feagai and Ravalawa are big wingers with speed and the ability to score long distance tries. They will be judged on their 2021 form however, I am very confident that they will succeed in securing a place in our NRL team's backline.

I have absolutely no doubt Max Feagai and Lomax will be our first grade centres way into the future.

By moving McInnes and Norman on, we add about 1.3m to our current cap total. The cap will be surely needed to recruit some talented forwards to better balance the team.

Much will depend on the availability of De Belin, the fitness of Bird in the forwards. All will depend on Griffin's ability to get his forwards to step up in defence as our weakest point will be our defence in the middle.
Bird is the captain?
What qualities do you see in Bird that makes him a leader of men?

redv13

Bench
To change our teams standing within the competition we must make significant change. So far we have changed our CEO and our coaching staff. Unfortunately we have lost Leilua and Frizell but happily have lost Aitken and Lafai. We still need to lose some and replace them with gun players who show pride in wearing the Big Red V.

To Be Cut

From the players we currently have in our squad I have listed my 17 for 2022 as follows:

Run-on 13
Ramsey
Feagai
Lomax
Feagai
Ravalawa
Sullivan
Clune
Vaughan
Hunt
Faamausili
Sims
Bird (c)
De Belin

Bench
Kerr
Alvaro
Laurie
Ford
Wow!! You got the chainsaw out and hacked away at the squad there possm. You’re cutting McInnes and Brittan and replacing them with Hunt and H Lomax. Only in possm world could H Lomax be an nrl back up 9

possm

Coach
Bird is the captain?
What qualities do you see in Bird that makes him a leader of men?
Grand Final winner
SOO player
Australian player
Saints junior

I'm sure Griffin will select the best candidate but the avove is a good start. Just name one other that has all of the above.

possm

Coach
Can someone please explain, in detail, the fascination with Hunt as a full time hooker?
If Hund does not step up in 2021 and if McInnes decides to move on, then the logical decision would be to move Hunt to 9. We will have great depth in the halves over the next few years.

I'm also counting on our coaching staff to get the forward pack to dramatically step up in defence in season 2021.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
If Hund does not step up in 2021 and if McInnes decides to move on, then the logical decision would be to move Hunt to 9. We will have great depth in the halves over the next few years.

I'm also counting on our coaching staff to get the forward pack to dramatically step up in defence in season 2021.

But the question remains, what makes him the best oprion to take over as hooker

George Dragon

Juniors
That sacking tells me everything. A Canterbury Cup player of the year on a minimum contract replaced by a guy who struggles to even make a Canterbury Cup team regularly

Hayden Lomax has had 2 major injuries that have kept him out for last 2 years, before that he played Flegg. So he has not been in contention to be selected as apposed to struggles to make the team.

Old Timer

Coach
Re the captaincy
If Mc Innes isn’t to be the one and Hook goes with Hunt at 7 then he should get the captaincy.

He got the jewels of the city so you may as well give him the keys as well.

The ultimate sign of faith by the coach and playing squad and if he flounders then so be it.

If he excels then in 3 years time he hands the reins over to the likes of Lomax