What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off contract this year - who do we keep?

Rich102

Staff member
Fish
Laumape
Neilsen
Vatuvei
Townsend
Leuluai
Matagi
Friend
Rapira
Matulino
Henry
Bukuya
Sam Lousi
Peyroux
Vete

One Warrior

Bench
Keep all except the following: release Neilsen, Lousi, let Friend retire and take a position at the club and Peyroux is handy as depth but may wish to leave.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Thàt's next years off contract list.

I think the question is who to lock up before the end of this season when clubs can immediately table offers.

JJ

Immortal
Fish
Laumape
Neilsen
Vatuvei
Townsend
Leuluai
Matagi
Friend
Rapira
Matulino
Henry
Bukuya
Sam Lousi
Peyroux
Vete

Look to keep those in bold, I am assuming Friend will retire, and I'd only keep Leuluai if he can stay on the field - so he has time to show that. Not sure on Lousi at the moment, and Vatuvei should be taking a pay cut.

Peyroux... not sure either - if his future is the back row, he's not needed... so probably let him leave too

Big Marn

Bench
Pretty much concur with JJ's bolded list apart from Fish. I wouldnt try to resign him until we see how long he lasts during the 2015 season. Maybe a offseason devoted to getting more muscle on him or something. He really has to harden up. He gets way too many injuries to be a reliable team member in an NRL team. He probably hardly got tackled in the under 20s as tackling is pretty much a non event at that level. Now that he is playing against men, he is perpetually getting injured. He just may not be tough enough for this level. Shame, as he has so much speed to burn

Last edited:

Iafeta

Referee
Fish - can't coach speed like his, and he has an excellent recent try scoring record. Keep.
Laumape - no brainer, keep.
Neilsen - no brainer, go.
Vatuvei - We rely on his go forward way too much, keep.
Townsend - The Chad has gone better than expected, keep.
Leuluai - His experience is crucial. For all the talk on his injury, he played every game last year, and had very few injuries in the north of England. I think we also forget how good his back half of 2013 was. Keep.
Matagi - Keep.
Friend - Probably time for retirement, but, I think Siliva is an overrated fan favourite who is learning his bowl 'em over style in NYC isn't all that translatable to first grade. I think people are in for a shock if they expect Siliva to be as effective in first grade.
Rapira - Keep
Matulino - no brainer at all, keep
Henry - keep
Bukuya - Not sure really. I'd say keep because I doubt we will attract anyone better to replace him, but I'm not sure Jayson has played particularly well the last month or so. He's solid, but he probably hasn't cut it up like I thought he might.
Sam Lousi - too many suspensions and injuries, go.
Peyroux - I'd like to keep him, his utility value is excellent and he never lets anyone down.
Vete - probably not keep on his current NSW Cup performances. I think he's found the step up to be a big jump.... still, he's got probably another 15 odd games before a decision needs to be made and he can overcome that.

Sebastine is off contract next year too, and that's a dead set fait a compli, re-sign the lad.

Iafeta

Referee
Between them in the last 5 minutes Albert Vete and Sam Lousi have conspired to lose the unlosable. Vete for no reason whatsoever offloads straight to Penrith, who score on the ensuing set. So they lead by 2. Then Lousi decides to dive at the legs of the kicker, penalty in front... draw. They then go onto lose from there. THere's a reason blokes like Vete and Lousi aren't near first grade frankly.... so if I can, I change my vote to definitely go for the both of them.

warrior poet

Juniors
Fish (release: has speed, but i don't rate him defensively and is injury-prone)

Laumape (keep: has potential to develop into a good centre/winger... must keep)

Neilsen (release, release, release: do i need to explain?)

Vatuvei (keep: will never be released, he's the face of the club and a future life-member)

Townsend (keep: has gone better than i thought, was expecting another seijka... could develop a decent partnership with johnson)

Leuluai (keep: he may have injury concerns but his experience and utility value is worth keeping)

Matagi (keep: hasn't been as good this year but hopefully will bounce back)

Friend (keep: will probably retire anyway, but i'm happy to keep signing him for a year at a time while we wait for havili to develop... atleast you can't say he doesn't try every game,which you can't say about some of our players...'cough' 'cough' mateo 'cough')

Rapira (keep: has experience, is consistant and will possibly end up as a life-member)

Matulino (keep: one of the best forwards in the world, would be stupid to lose)

Henry (keep: future captain... will develop into one of the best)

Bukuya (release: has gone ok this year but with hoffman coming, and with mannering/mateo/sione lousi/ ikahihifo/henry/palavi/ bhana/etc he may be one player too many)

Sam Lousi (release: to be honest i forgot we still had him!, either release or downgrade to nsw cup contract)

Peyroux (release: hasn't really stood out since he joined the club, probably more suited to esl)

Vete (keep: will develop into a ready made replacement when lillyman finally retires)

Rich102

Staff member
Fish - can't coach speed like his, and he has an excellent recent try scoring record. Keep.
Laumape - no brainer, keep.
Neilsen - no brainer, go.
Vatuvei - We rely on his go forward way too much, keep.
Townsend - The Chad has gone better than expected, keep.
Leuluai - His experience is crucial. For all the talk on his injury, he played every game last year, and had very few injuries in the north of England. I think we also forget how good his back half of 2013 was. Keep.
Matagi - Keep.
Friend - Probably time for retirement, but, I think Siliva is an overrated fan favourite who is learning his bowl 'em over style in NYC isn't all that translatable to first grade. I think people are in for a shock if they expect Siliva to be as effective in first grade.
Rapira - Keep
Matulino - no brainer at all, keep
Henry - keep
Bukuya - Not sure really. I'd say keep because I doubt we will attract anyone better to replace him, but I'm not sure Jayson has played particularly well the last month or so. He's solid, but he probably hasn't cut it up like I thought he might.
Sam Lousi - too many suspensions and injuries, go.
Peyroux - I'd like to keep him, his utility value is excellent and he never lets anyone down.
Vete - probably not keep on his current NSW Cup performances. I think he's found the step up to be a big jump.... still, he's got probably another 15 odd games before a decision needs to be made and he can overcome that.

Sebastine is off contract next year too, and that's a dead set fait a compli, re-sign the lad.

Thought we had just done that.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Bukuya depends on circumstances really, but wouldn't be surprised if he heads back now that Henry and Ikahihifo are really starting to kick on. Hopefully RFM can keep improving too. Seems to be finding some consistent form in NSW Cup.

Fish it all depends on the price. We're not flush for outside backs (wing and centre) so getting rid of good depth might not be wise, at least until we have Hurrell/Laumape under lock and key. If another club offers overs though I wouldn't be gutted if he left, just think he has too much upside not to keep hold of for the right price.

tangalife

Juniors
Bit suprised at the calls of axing Bukuya. I think he has added some strength and toughness into a Warriors backrow that has been full of pussbags for the last few seasons.

I know Johnson and Hurrell have improved defensively this year but Bukuya has sured them up a bit not to mention to not being scared to get in the road of people like Dave Taylor who are trying to trample Johnson.

Big Marn

Bench
Yeh, i havent been considering Bukuya as one to offload just yet. Not sure if he has playing at the level that he was at Cronulla that got him the contract tho.
Whether the ASADA drug enquiry is at the back of his mind, who knows?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Fish - Keep ideally, but don't pay overs. Needs to prove he can stay on the field without geting injured.
Laumape - Keep. High priority.
Neilsen - release
Vatuvei - Keep. Already a club icon, should be a one-club, 250 game man and all-time great try-scorer. Yes he has his flaws but his strengths more than make up for them.
Townsend - Keep and potentially upgrade. Has been a pleasant surprise.
Leuluai - Keep, provided he can sort his injury issues.
Matagi - Keep, though dont pay overs to do so
Friend - Keep, but one year contract only at this stage
Rapira - Keep
Matulino - Keep, high priority. Our marquee forward.
Henry - Keep
Bukuya - Keep at the right price. Wouldn't get into a bidding war over his though.
Sam Lousi - NSW Cup level $$ only. Needs to prove himself mentally and physically.
Peyroux - Same as Bukuya. At the right price only.
Vete - Wait and see.