What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off season trivia

Father Ted

First Grade
Seeing as it's been a while I'll ask a question . What was one of the main reasons given for needing to change to a red vee ?

Red Bear

Referee
Langlands was the old Wollongong rugby league club
Raper was Camperdown Dragons in the Newtown junior competition

Gasnier - no idea

Benny

First Grade
Graeme Langlands - Dapto

Reg Gasnier - Renown

John Raper - Revesby

Pretty confident with the top 2 but think 3rd one is a bit tricky as his first senior club was Newtown but he was a Canterbury Junior I am sure.

Benny

First Grade
Gasnier is definately Renown.

Raper is either Revesby OR Camperdown...it is possible he started with his local side Revesby before moving to Camperdown and that is how he was classed as a Newtown player.

Langlands is definately Wollongong and was confident he was Dapto but is referred to as a Wests Wollongong junior so maybe that is the answer.

Best I have

Benny

First Grade
Name all the players who have Captained the St.George Illawarra Dragons in a First Grade Premiership match from 1999 to present.

From my calculations I have 12.

RedVDave

First Grade
13 by count:

+Jamie Ainscough
+Trent Barrett
+Matt Cooper
+Mark Coyne
+Jason Hooper
+Ben Hornby
+Paul McGregor
+Craig Smith
+Lance Thompson
+Shaun Timmins
+Jason Ryles
+Mark Gasnier
+Dean Young

and according to Big league Soward captained Saints once this year to what game is beyond me though, could potentially be a misprint.

Benny

First Grade
It could well be more than 12 and this could be some fun.

Scott Gourley's Love Child - You have 9/12. My list doesn't have Timmins, Bartrim or Bailey. I don't believe Bartrim did, not entirely sure on Bailey and Timmins I couldn't decide when making the list.

Red V Dave -You have 11/12 that I had. My list doesn't include Hooper or Timmins. Hooper does ring a bell so maybe he did captain the side. Hornby played every game in 2009 and only missed 2 in 2010 with Young Captaining 1 and Cooper the other - so I don't believe Soward has captained the side.

So all of my 12 have been listed in both sets of lists BUT there is questions marks over:

Shaun Timmins
Wayne Bartim
Luke Bailey AND
Jason Hooper

Anyone got anything on these 4 or any others?

St. Linnane

First Grade
Timmins captained 8 games in 2004 - rounds 2, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 19. He also captained 5 games in 2003 - rounds 16, 17, 19, 25 and 26

Ben Creagh was listed as captain for round 16 2007, however Ben Hornby was a late inclusion in jersey 21.

Jason Hooper captained the side in round 18, 2002.

Neither Wayne Bartrim nor Luke Bailey captained the side according to my records.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
There is no Bailey as captain.

I thought Bartrim ran on as skipper for one match but could be an error.

Timmins was definitely stand-in captain for a while.

Hooper was definitely captain for one match.

I thought Ainscough was captain for one match prior to 1999, happy to be corrected.

Same with Mark Coyne, not sure if he captained in 1999 (from memory Craig Smith, McGregor and Nathan Brown were captains that year). Again, happy to be corrected.

Latest posts