What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official Aussie 23 man squad

Bozo

Juniors
fish eel said:
but Wilkshire is probably going there as a holding midfielder....back up to Grella.

I'd rather have Cahill-Culina play as a double defensive mid combo, if Vinne where (god forbid) injured.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Apart from Sterjovski and Wilkshire, it is a pretty handy side. The inclusions of Kennedy and Milligan are surprising, but I doubt they will get much game time.

fish eel

Immortal
Bozo said:
I'd rather have Cahill-Culina play as a double defensive mid combo, if Vinne where (god forbid) injured.

Agreed. I think thats what would happen. Culina plays a bit deeper for PSV. I'm not sure what other position Wilkshire role Wilkshire would play???

lockyno1

Post Whore
I actually agree with Moyes. In the end who pays the wages? I'll give you a clue it is not the Australian Football Federation! Its Everton. In the end its their call.

fish eel

Immortal
lockyno1 said:
I actually agree with Moyes. In the end who pays the wages? I'll give you a clue it is not the Australian Football Federation! Its Everton. In the end its their call.

I'll give you a clue - if Tim Cahill was English and selected in the english squad, this wouldnt even be an issue. I dont hear Ferguson squeling about Rooney???

If we we are to give the clubs a say in international football because they pay the wages, fine, lets just forget international football. There is quite a significant court case going on at the moment involving a Belgium club seeking compensation from I think Fifa (might be UEFA though) over a player who was injured while on international duty.

This case goes to the heart of international football, and the ability of national federations being able to call on their players. If you support David Moyes, you support the undermining of international football.

These clubs need to realise that when they sign a quality player, particuarly if that player is from a smaller footballing nation, that player may actually get called up on international duty.

Instead of whinging and moaning about it, the clubs should realise that people like Tim Cahill, will also be representing Everton on the international stage, giving the club a profile. I guarantee you, more people in Australia know of Everton because of Tim Cahill than they did 3 years ago. Clubs should embrace international football, and use it as a positive.

borat

Bench
Moyes is just grandstanding, he can't stop Cahill from going and he knows it. If he tried and Cahill begrudgingly accepted he would have a fifa imposed ban that would stop him playing x amount of games for Everton at the start of the season. But I reckon cahill would tell him to stick it up his ar*e and go anyway. Everton is a deadend club who can ill afford to p*ss off their best central midfileder.

Macca_

Coach
The club vs country argument is an old one and one that will always exist.

Yes the clubs pay the wages. However they also buy the players and if they buy ones that they know will have international commitments well they need to accept that there will be times when these players are required by their countries.

I support both sides of the argument at differing times. In this instance I support the international side of the argument because it's for the World Cup.

On occassions where they are meaningless friendlies I support the clubs side of the argument. Yes the friendlies are all in preparation fo the big tournaments but some are ridiculous. For example the friendly Brazil had with one of the asian countries a few months back. Most of the guys that went ended up missing 2 matches for their clubs. There is schedualing for international weekends and they are the ones the clubs don't have a problem with.

As I say, it's an argument that has valid points on both sides of the coin and it's one that will go on forever. There is no way to fix it. And for me, each case can be different and have me sitting on one side or the other.

fish eel

Immortal
I agree on the scheduling issue Macca.

National federations do themselves no service by calling up players for friendlies that do not fall on a FIFA international date. It just gives the clubs ammo....

Macca_

Coach
Yeah, that Brazilian one was an example of that. Recall Wenger making comment on it re Gilberto. But when it comes to things like the African Nations where the Gunners had a couple of players go away for that there was no problem.

Once again, a case of the the club accepting it, as when they got the players, they knew that could happen.

As you say though, it's p*sses them off when there are international games schedualed outside of the set dates.

fish eel

Immortal
Macca_ said:
Yeah, that Brazilian one was an example of that. Recall Wenger making comment on it re Gilberto. But when it comes to things like the African Nations where the Gunners had a couple of players go away for that there was no problem.

Once again, a case of the the club accepting it, as when they got the players, they knew that could happen.

As you say though, it's p*sses them off when there are international games schedualed outside of the set dates.

Africans Nations Cup, thats really poorly scheduled.

As have been some of the Asian Cup qualifiers.

But hey, dont like it, dont sign an African.

Macca_

Coach
Don't think it is what you are saying, but the Gunners didn't have a problem with the African Nations Cup. On the subject, that is where I sit on the International side of the argument. However in the case of the Brazilian friendly that was outside of international dates I support the club side of the argument.

In this case (the WC and Cahill) I support the International side of it because it's a set tournament.

All so bloody confusing, no wonder it's an on going problem :lol:

Skeletor

Juniors
"Clubs pay their wages" is such a bullsh** argument. I'm working under a contract, and have a boss who pays me wages, but can he prevent me from crossing the street as I may get injured doing it and he may have to pay me to sit around doing nothing? Of course he can't. Can he prevent me from doing volunteer work when I'm not scheduled to be working for him? Nope.

Bozo

Juniors
GoTheBears said:
Hey who wasthe australian bloke with a problem and was ruled out wearly??? Heart problem perhaps?

Tony Vidmar, great servant of the Australian national team.

PB

Bench
Can some one please tell me

Is Tim Cahill out her for training and the greece match, or did he stay in Europe for treatment?

Cheers

lolesi

First Grade
He is out here, was in Sydney this morning for the Weetbix breakfest actually!
He will travel to Melbourne but play no part in the match.