What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official team v Canberra

www.warriors.co.nz

Captain Steve Price and centre Jerome Ropati are both set to rejoin the Vodafone Warriors for their 24th-round NRL game against Canberra at Mount Smart Stadium on Sunday.
Price last played in the 4-29 home defeat by St George Illawarra but has been sidelined since with a rib cartilage injury which forced him to miss the club’s last three matches against Penrith, Gold Coast and Parramatta.
Ropati has also been in and out of the side recently. Omitted for the last home game against the Titans, he was recalled for the Parramatta encounter only to be ruled out with a shoulder complaint.
But the two experienced campaigners were both named today to face the Raiders in a side otherwise the same as the one that lost 4-40 loss to Parramatta last Saturday night.
Price (35) comes back for his 313th career match and his 91st for the Vodafone Warriors, replacing Evarn Tuimavave who is included on a five-man interchange bench.
And Ropati takes over from 19-year-old Siuatonga Likiliki who became Vodafone Warrior No 155 when he made his first-grade debut against the Eels.
The rest of the starting line-up is unchanged from the one that ran on at Parramatta Stadium.
“Obviously it makes a big difference to the side when you lose players like Steve and Jerome through injury,” said Vodafone Warriors coach Ivan Cleary.
“We haven’t had an easy time as a team lately and having Steve and Jerome on the sideline hasn’t helped. It’s good to be able to call on them this week and we’ll need everything they can give us along with everyone else in the side.”
While the two internationals return, promising Ukuma Ta’ai has his second successive start in the second row following several appearances from the bench.
Second rower Simon Mannering will play his 99th NRL game this weekend and is in line to play in every one of the club’s matches for the third straight season. Cleary will also have his 99th game as an NRL coach since stepping into the role with the Vodafone Warriors at the start of the 2006 season. Both player and coach are eyeing their 100th milestones in the 25th-round match against the Bulldogs.
Micheal Luck made 45 tackles against Parramatta, lifting his season’s tally to 937 (an average of almost 47 a game).
Winger Manu Vatuvei scored his sixth try in the Vodafone Warriors’ last six matches to take his career total to 56 in 92 games, one off drawing level with Clinton Toopi in third place on the club’s all-time try-scoring list. He has scored 11 tries in 17 games this year and, since the start of last season, he has crossed for 27 tries in his last 34 games.

VODAFONE WARRIORS v CANBERRA RAIDERS

Mount Smart Stadium, Auckland
2.00pm, Sunday, August 23

VODAFONE WARRIORS

1 WADE McKINNON
2 KEVIN LOCKE
3 JEROME ROPATI
4 JOEL MOON
5 MANU VATUVEI
6 AARON HEREMAIA
7 STACEY JONES
8 SAM RAPIRA
9 IAN HENDERSON
10 STEVE PRICE (c)
11 SIMON MANNERING
12 UKUMA TA’AI
13 MICHEAL LUCK (vc)

Interchange (one to be omitted)
14 LANCE HOHAIA
15 EVARN TUIMAVAVE
16 RUSSELL PACKER
17 JACOB LILLYMAN
18 LEWIS BROWN

Meth

Staff member
Mount Smart Stadium, Auckland
2.00pm, Sunday, August 23

VODAFONE WARRIORS

1WADE McKINNON
2KEVIN LOCKE
3JEROME ROPATI
4JOEL MOON
5MANU VATUVEI
6AARON HEREMAIA
7STACEY JONES
8SAM RAPIRA
9IAN HENDERSON
10STEVE PRICE (c)
11SIMON MANNERING
12UKUMA TA’AI
13MICHEAL LUCK (vc)

Interchange (one to be omitted):
14LANCE HOHAIA
15EVARN TUIMAVAVE
16RUSSELL PACKER
17JACOB LILLYMAN
18LEWIS BROWN

Ropati replaces Likiliki
Price will replace either Tuimavave or Packer

radical

Meth

Staff member
I'd like it to be;

1- McKinnon
2- Kemp (let's see what Kemp has once and for all- get Locke back to help in Toyota Cup)
3- Moon
4- Tongia
5- Vatuvei/Solomona (would be happy to rest Vatuvei- if he is having surgery, book it in now)
6- John
7- Heremaia
8- Price
9- Brown (let's see what he's got at hooker)
10-Rapira
11-Mannering
12-Tai'i
13-Luck

14- Hohaia 15- Packer 16- Tuimavave 17- O'Regan

I hope its Lillysh*t that drops off the bench. Also Mckinnon should be arsed. We have a great fullback in Locke so lets use him there

Lets hope we can have at least one more win this season. This one must be our best chance, just looking at positions on the table.

Go the WARRIORS.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
why?

He's free to offer his support for the juniors without subjecting himself to the trauma of the first graders at the moment

That says 'doesn't sound like a bad idea' not 'does sound'.

The Raiders might be 13th but they towelled up the Broncos by 56 and beat the minor premiers. They'll do the business.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
:lol:, I bet Brown will be left off

I tuned into the Price hour this afternoon, gave me a great chuckle listening to the spin put on

Unfortunately for 1 of my work colleagues who may appear on here soon, it was all too much for him to listen too and his radio was turned off :lol:

Micistm

Bench
:lol:, I bet Brown will be left off

I tuned into the Price hour this afternoon, gave me a great chuckle listening to the spin put on

Unfortunately for 1 of my work colleagues who may appear on here soon, it was all too much for him to listen too and his radio was turned off :lol:

:lol:Indeed!
There's only so long you can hear how we're not far off and everything going the way of the opposition. Big ups for him fronting week after week during such a crud year, but jeez, just once I'd like to hear a genuine: "You know what? The teams crap. We played like a steaming pile of sh*t and no passion whatsoever."
I will give him the point the Sharks and Roosters were in last years playoffs as well and are in a similiar position-But surely Pricey's not dumb. He must know the 'Kick it to Manu' gameplay is a laughing stock, and to not even concede the point there are some very soft tries getting through and the attack is rubbish-That's either total denial or toeing the company line.

As for the team, not surprised. 2010 is off to a good start:lol:

ozbash

Referee
Let's not.

Let's use him in the Toyota Cup or even better let him recover from the injury he has been playing with

dont you have to play a certain number of NYC games to qualify a spot in the team for semis ?

Meth

Staff member
dont you have to play a certain number of NYC games to qualify a spot in the team for semis ?

Yes, I think so.

I would have thought that Locke would qualify, especially if he plays a few games before the semis

Latest posts