What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official Touring Squad for INDIA announced

TheParraboy

Staff member
OFFICIAL SQUAD PICKED 31/1/13

David Warner
Ed Cowan
Phillip Hughes
Shane Watson
Michael Clarke (capt)
Usman Khawaja
Steven Smith
Matthew Wade (wk)
Glenn Maxwell
Moises Henriques
Mitchell Johnson
James Pattinson
Mitchell Starc
Peter Siddle
Jackson Bird
Xavier Doherty
Nathan Lyon

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-australia-2013/content/current/story/602848.html

I think 80-90% of the squad picks themselves, couple of shock selections for sure

If I was sole selector, my 15 man squad would be......

WARNER
COWAN
HUGHES
KHAWAJA
CLARKE
WATSON
WADE
BIRD
SIDDLE
PATTINSON (If 100% fit)
LYON

CUTTING
DOOLAN (Batsman OR back up keeper)
STEVE OKEEFE
HAZLEWOOD OR STARC

Last edited:

Earl

Coach
This is what I think the selectors will go with

1. Ed Cowan
2. David Warner
3. Phil Hughes
4. Usman Khawaja
5. Michael Clarke
6. Matt Wade
7. Glenn Maxwell
8. Mitchell Johnson/Mitchell Starc
9. Peter Siddle
10. Nathan Lyon
11. Jackson Bird

12. Mitchell Starc/Mitchell Johnson
13. Michael Beer
14. James Pattinson
15. George Bailey

I'd put $10 on the selectors throwing that squad on the plane

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
they seem to have a preference for Maxwell over Beer and SOK

Timbo

Staff member
Have to play two spinners in India. Those pitches they prepared for England were genuine 5th day wickets from the first ball.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Will Patto be fit in time to play the rest of the Shield games? That goes for Cummins as well.

If either of them can play those they'll be in India.

For the first time in a long time our top 7 picks itself. And I guess Lyon is in by default. Now its all about what we do with the other 3 spots. With Watson in the team I think we can definitely go a 2nd spinner. Hopefully one stands up in Shield next month.

Timbo

Staff member
1-Warner
2-Cowan
3-Hughes
4-Khawaja
5-Clarke*
6-Watson
7-Wade+
8-O'Keefe
9-Siddle
10-Lyon
11-Bird

12-Starc
13-Hilfenhaus
14-Doolan
15-Nevill

That's my squad.

Horrie Is God

First Grade
I know this article was posted earlier today,but i just want to point out how in denial Scissorstard is with his keeping deficiencies..

I'm only taking selected quotes from the article,but it's all there if you want to read it..

http://www.news.com.au/top-stories/ian-healy-says-matthew-wade-must-harness-same-powers-of-concentration-in-his-batting-to-his-keeping/story-e6frfkp9-1226548279458

Wade missed two tough chances on Saturday off spinner Nathan Lyon but said they weren't opportunities he expected to take regularly.

"I missed a couple off the spinner but I think they were bigger deflections, they were chances that just brushed the edge of my gloves," Wade said.

"If I'm catching them I'm going really, really well - one in a few I'd like them to stick.

"They're bigger deflections going to the edge of my glove, if they're hitting the middle and going down I'd be disappointed.

"I thought I was in good position for the catches and they didn't go in."

We need you to take more than one in a few at test level sport..

some11

Referee
"bigger deflections"... that edge he missed off Lyon was entirely his fault, it didn't deviate one bit.

BunniesMan

Immortal
He's delusional. He needs to watch the replays and he needs Healy sitting next to him while doing it. Healy is an idiot for 90% of his commentating but he was spot on dissecting Wades problems.

I'm expecting to see

Warner
Cowan
Hughes
Khawaja
Clarke
Watson
Wade
Johnson
Siddle
Bird
Lyon

Beer
Maxwell
Starc
Hastings

Personally I'd leave Shitchell behind and take someone like Doolan in his place. I'd also take Sok instead of Beer, and I don't think Maxwell is up to test cricket either. Aside from Hilfenhaus and Pattinson, I think any player who does not go to India will not be part of the Ashes squad.

BDR

First Grade
Would love to see this first XI

Warner
Hughes
Khawaja
Clarke
Doolan
Watson
Wade
Siddle
Pattinson
Lyon
Bird

Doolan probably too low tbh but I think the top 4 there has the potential to score a LOT of runs for years to come. Cowan has failed IMO. Maybe Maxwell is a shot in that no. 6 role with Watson bumped up. Either way I doubt mine would be the team picked at this point.

Would like Wade gone but not too familiar with what keepers could replace him tbh. Not a fan of Paine and Haddin too old.

Horrie Is God

First Grade
Wade will be there..

India is no place to blood a new keeper..

We are in a pretty shitty position keeping wise,as he mainly struggles with Lyon's spin,& he'll be seeing plenty of that in the 4 tests over there..

Hallatia

Referee
there are rumblings of a 20 to 21 man squad which may include Haddin as a batsman

Haddin set to go to Ashes
Daniel Brettig
January 7, 2013

Brad Haddin is the man to fill the leadership and experience void left by the retirements of Michael Hussey and Ricky Ponting, after the coach Mickey Arthur indicated Australia's No. 2 gloveman has all but booked his ticket to the Ashes.

Recalled to the ODI team while Matthew Wade rests for the first two ODIs against Sri Lanka, Haddin's commission is expected to extend well beyond that as a senior pro in a squad now characterised by more youthful and uncertain faces. Arthur's confirmation that two glovemen will be taken to England means Haddin need only maintain his strong form this summer to make his spot safe. There is also consideration being given to taking him to India primarily as a batsman.

Shocked as Arthur, the captain Michael Clarke and the selectors were by Hussey's decision to retire while still providing a critical link on the batting order, their thoughts have turned to Haddin as the next best option to provide an experienced head and immaculate training standards around the dressing room. Wade's standing as the No.1 wicketkeeper is not in dispute, but Haddin will now be a figure of considerable use to Clarke and his team.

"We've probably looked at a full group of 20, 21 players we need to cut down to take to India," Arthur said. "Obviously there are two keepers in the 20, 21 at the moment - but whether we take two keepers I'm not sure. I do know we'll be taking two keepers to the Ashes in England though.

"So really that's important we know who our second keeper is and he's comfortable that he knows exactly where he stands as well. At the moment the second keeper is definitely Brad Haddin."

Since rushing home from the West Indies tour last year to be with his family as his daughter Mia battled cancer, Haddin has won plenty of admiration for fighting his way back to the fringes of the national side by playing strong for New South Wales. Some games this summer have had Haddin spending the night by his daughter's bedside in hospital then going out the next day to bat for the Blues, something he has done to great effect while making 337 runs at 67.40 in four Shield matches, with two centuries.

"In all honesty cricket was not anywhere in my thoughts," Haddin had said in Brisbane after hearing of his recall. "When something like that happens your life is put on hold. I have been lucky that things have gone in the right direction enough to allow me to be back playing cricket. But in all honestly I wasn't thinking about cricket at all. I would not be playing cricket now if it affected my family. I am no different to anyone. Your family comes first."

Haddin has indicated his willingness to be part of the squad as Wade's back-up, and so provide guidance for Clarke and the rest of the team that was lost when Ponting then Hussey elected to draw their international careers to a close. "I have played enough cricket now to offer a little bit in that area," Haddin said. "It is an exciting team for the first game.

"You remember back to when you first started how exciting it was to have guys around giving you those little tips. I was lucky to have Haydos [Matthew Hayden] barking at me and pushing me in the right direction. I have been lucky enough to have a couple of tours to England, one as the No. 1 keeper and one behind Adam Gilchrist. From that point of view I would be ready to go in whatever capacity they want."

While Haddin was delighted to be recalled having not expected to return, the younger gloveman Tim Paine must bide his time again. Australia A will tour England ahead of the Ashes tour, and this may now be the trip Paine makes to the UK rather than the Ashes tour he would have liked to be part of after making a sterling return from a serious finger injury.

"Tim's been knocking on the door," Arthur said. "Tim's performances are getting better for Tasmania and the Hurricanes. We still feel right now that at this particular moment though that Brad Haddin is the second keeper to Matthew Wade in all forms. Painey just needs to keep working, keep working hard, keep knocking the door down and he'll certainly put his name up in lights as well."

Aside from Haddin, the likes of Usman Khawaja, Aaron Finch and the stand-in captain George Bailey now have the chance to press their cases for higher honours due to the bevy of players rested from the first two ODIs. Arthur baulked at the suggestion of the series being used as a Test trial but agreed now was the chance for a younger generation to show their aptitude and desire for national duty.

"There's massive opportunity for somebody to put their hand up and really tell us they're around," Arthur said. "Someone who can really win us games and really make his mark, because losing Ponting and Hussey in the last four Test matches, we've only lost 250 Test caps ... so if I was a young batsman in Australia at the moment it's a massively exciting time.

"Some really good performances can give you a gig in all forms. So we are really hoping that somebody puts their hand up. I'm really excited about working with this younger group of batsmen, it really excites me and I'm sure somebody is going to stand up and make a real name for themselves."
Sauce

Hallatia

Referee
and here is some interesting talk of Watson and whatever will go into decisions about his future given his general tosspottedness
Watson's reinvention riddle for selectors
Daniel Brettig
January 7, 2013

Shane Watson's ability to reinvent himself as a non-bowling top-order Test batsman may be tested by a return through the Sheffield Shield rather than the January ODIs.

The calf problem that ultimately dissuaded Watson from stretching himself at the bowling crease is likely to keep him out of action until the start of the limited overs-matches against West Indies in late January. This will leave John Inverarity's selection panel to decide whether to return him via that series or in a pair of Shield fixtures that will provide better indicators of the former allrounder's durability over four days ahead of the India Test tour.

The first group of players to India are expected to depart around February 9, while the final two ODIs against Darren Sammy's team are scheduled for February 8 in Sydney and February 10 in Melbourne. New South Wales' Shield games during the period will take place against Western Australia from January 24-27 and Tasmania from February 6-9.

Australia's coach Mickey Arthur said Watson was yet to formally indicate his desire to return as an opening batsman, but there can be little doubt about the vice-captain's preference given his best Test displays took place as an opener and occasionally-used bowler under Ricky Ponting, and his recent decision to give up bowling for the foreseeable future.

"I don't think Watto would mind me saying this, right at the moment Watto wants to come back as a batsman," Arthur said. "He feels every time he bats and then he gets injured bowling, he just loses a bit of momentum with his batting, which is probably fair to say. He wants to come back and bat, definitely. Once he feels his body is going well and that he feels he's cemented his batting position, we will then take another look at how we want to go with Shane in terms of bowling.

"And that's a decision only Watto can make. We'll be working very closely with him on that, because obviously Shane bowling a couple of overs is really good for us. And Shane Watson absolutely loves bowling. He still wants to bowl, but his primary focus right now is to make the team as an out-and-out batsman."

Arthur, Michael Clarke and the rest of the team hierarchy are satisfied with the present Test opening combination of David Warner and Ed Cowan, a partnership of contrasts that has reaped sturdy results even if Cowan has shown a tendency to get out after doing much of the hard work - something backed up by a mediocre average of 32.81 from 13 Tests. They also value Cowan's maturity, team ethic and leadership potential.

However Watson is expected to make a concerted push for his return to the role, hoping to open with Warner as he presently does, when fit, for Australia in ODIs and Twenty20 matches. "I guess if he's not bowling it's worth the consideration," Arthur said. "It will certainly be worth the chat. But we haven't had any discussions around that just yet.

"I still maintain that I felt No.4 was a really good fit for Shane Watson. But that was Shane Watson bowling some overs as well. We're lucky in that I think Watto can bat anywhere from Nos.1-6 in our order and has had some success there. He'll still be opening in one-day cricket. And who knows, maybe he does, maybe he doesn't but again it's probably too early to even discuss it."

Hard evidence for Watson's return to the opening position may be found in his overall record, for he has averaged better than 43 and made his only two Test centuries while walking out to face the new ball. Watson's powerful if mechanical strokeplay also appears best suited to a hard ball and a tightly packed field.

Nevertheless, his most recent returns under the captaincy of Clarke have indicated that if anything Watson has been of greater value as a thoughtful medium-pace bowler than an inconsistent batsman unable to reach three figures. In 11 Tests since Clarke took over as captain, Watson has made 528 runs at 26.40 with a top score of 88. He has also taken 19 wickets at 27. In five matches as an opener within that time Watson's returns dipped further, to 182 runs at 20.22.

These returns can be mitigated somewhat by the fact that under Clarke his level of bowling increased, occasionally leaving him bowling out the tail then walking immediately to the batting crease. But should Watson return to the top of the batting order it will be more out of the selectors' hope for more runs in his preferred position than expectation based on recent showings.
Sauce

Horrie Is God

First Grade
Lol..

Invers..

Lol..

Good idea making Watto earn his stripes in Shield cricket though..

It's sure to stress him out..

Latest posts