What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official Touring Squad for INDIA announced

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
so lets review this

The fossil watched this guy and after a few seconds, he decided to send him to India

yet

Agar is not a massive turner of the ball but can give it the occasional big rip to surprise an unsuspecting batsman.

I wonder how many 19 year olds in Australia can make the occasional ball turn

should we send them all to India ?

oldmancraigy

Coach
so lets review this

The fossil watched this guy and after a few seconds, he decided to send him to India

yet

I wonder how many 19 year olds in Australia can make the occasional ball turn

should we send them all to India ?

I'm not sure what the problem is?

The article said he was "looking to take wickets"
If a spin bowler can't get an Australian test cap through sheer desire, then what has the world come to????

Screw the guys who do take wickets, it's those who LOOK to take them, but don't, who are really exciting.

BunniesMan

Immortal
You do realise there has been about 5-6 quality leggies in the last 80-90 years (warne mcgill qadir benaud o'reilly grimmett). They dont exactly grow on trees, having two good leggies at once was freakish. it's an imcredibly dificult art to master and whilat it'd be nice to have one emerging it's not unexpected that we ate struggling to find one. boyce and zampa bowl leg spin though
I'm not saying there has to be a ready made one now demolishing shield teams around the country and smashing the door down to get into the Test team. But surely somewhere there is a talented teenager that has some kind of talent for bowling the spin that is best suited to playing in this country.

Timbo

Staff member
Problem is its such a hard art to master that they tend to get whacked all over the park during age group cricket.

Hell, MacGill even switched to medium pace in his late teens because he got so heavily spanked.

BunniesMan

Immortal
That's why I think CA should be looking into every corner of the country for leg spinners aged 16 to 18. If they can land 4 out of every 6 balls and turn it away from the right hander by any reasonable amount they should be taken out of local cricket and taken in by CA and they should get full time coaching.

With that full time coaching the'd learn to go from 4 of 6 to 6 of 6, they'd learn a wrongun and a flipper and by the time they were 19 they'd be ready for some experience on an Indian tour.

But that would require some proactive long term planning. Instead we just expect all our talent to naturally rise to the top and develop themselves into professionals.

Precisely because leg spin is so hard, it should be invested in so much more than other cricket disciplines.

oldmancraigy

Coach
That's why I think CA should be looking into every corner of the country for leg spinners aged 16 to 18. If they can land 4 out of every 6 balls and turn it away from the right hander by any reasonable amount they should be taken out of local cricket and taken in by CA and they should get full time coaching.

With that full time coaching the'd learn to go from 4 of 6 to 6 of 6, they'd learn a wrongun and a flipper and by the time they were 19 they'd be ready for some experience on an Indian tour.

But that would require some proactive long term planning. Instead we just expect all our talent to naturally rise to the top and develop themselves into professionals.

Precisely because leg spin is so hard, it should be invested in so much more than other cricket disciplines.

Good idea, except you could easily spend $1-200k developing a kid from 16-19 only to realize that they're not going to trouble shield batsmen, let alone international ones.

Hoggie could land the ball just fine, and had a well disguised wrong'un. But didn't mean he was a wicket taker in longer forms of the game....

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Maybe cricket Australia should just kidnap a couple of babies and only teach them about spin bowling until they are 18. They have to practice bowling from ages 5 to 18 around 8 or 9 hours a day each and every day and the one that gets picked for Australia first is allowed to live and the other one is drowned in a puddle

BunniesMan

Immortal
Really like this photo. Our tour rests on their shoulders:

154142.jpg

So much of this tour depends on these two. If Hughes and Watson perform I reckon we'll dominate them.

Warner might or might not hit and giggle his way to some runs. Cowan might plodd his way to an average of 30 in India. You'd expect Clarke to be the one lock to perform.

The real X factors are HAH and Twatto. If their average for the tour combines to equal 100+ I'll put my house on us winning and winning easy.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Is your house only worth $10?

I'm tipping Watson to cruise to 50, play a shit shot, review it, look down at the pitch, up at the sky and then take 5 hours to walk off the ground.

Watson has put himself under enormous pressure saying that he only wants to be considered a batsmen and an opener. He needs to deliver with hundreds. Of the top 3 that will most likely be selected (Watson, Warner, Hughes) he is the best player of spin which doesn't mean to say he's a great player of spin, he will need more than the slog sweep in India and in test matches.

HAH will be tested by the Indian spinners. His footwork is not great and he will more than likely come up against spin straight away. I'm tipping he will find away to play them well.

The Indian wickets will be interesting. If they produce roads in attempt to allow Sehwag and Gambhir to get off to flyers than Warner, Watson and Hughes will absolutely thrive, all 3 can match Sehwag in the flat track batting stakes.

Australia's strength is its pace attack and India's is its spinners (although not great spinners they shit on Lyon, X and big show :lol:). Expect raging turners.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Is your house only worth $10?

I'm tipping Watson to cruise to 50, play a shit shot, review it, look down at the pitch, up at the sky and then take 5 hours to walk off the ground.

And the review will be after he's completely missed a straight one and been clean bowled.

He'll ask the other batsmen if they thought it was a no-ball, they'll say "uh, I dunno" and so he'll waste a review "just in case"

Xfactor1979

Bench
Nothing undoes Australian people than sending them to India :lol:

ie its hot
the food is dodgy
theres cows everywhere
the WAGs (Australian women) complain how sleazy Indian men are

You might average 200 with the bat, 15 with the ball, but invincible, formidable, ruthless Australians become "frazzled" by Indian conditions

And I get a chuckle to see how 'human' they are :lol:

For best results, check out the movie 'The Waiting City'

EDIT heres the Indian Squad

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-australia-2013/content/story/604327.html

The players not listed on India's squad
Cows
Sleazey Indian Men
Hot weather
Rancid Food
Drinking and showering with bottled water

Last edited:
India squad: MS Dhoni (capt), Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar, Virat Kohli, Shikhar Dhawan, Murali Vijay, Ajinkya Rahane, Cheteshwar Pujara, Ravindra Jadeja, Harbhajan Singh, Ishant Sharma, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Ravi Ashwin, Pragyan Ojha, Ashok Dinda.

Gambhir dropped. Interesting move.

Earl

Coach
Hasn't scored a Test century for 2 years and averages 30 in that time.

His likely replacement Ajinkya Rahane averages close to 65 in First Class cricket

Earl

Coach
Yeah but he is the golden child of Australian cricket.

To be fair though, there is hardly any batsmen knocking the door down in Australian cricket at the moment.

Earl

Coach
Sewhag did score a century in the England series. Mind you other than that innings he did look terrible.

I think its only a matter of time before Sewhag and Tendulker move on. Both are really struggling in Test cricket at the moment.