What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Offseason Rule Change Idea #1

mepelthwack

Juniors
The biggest change needed is BOD to defence.

The vid ref should have 3 button press options.

1. Try
2. No try
3. No try (inconclusive).

Each time 3 is pressed the attacking team plays the ball on te same tackle number 10 out.

Each time the ref has an 'opinion' they rule on it and stand by it otherwise if they send it upstairs this opinion becomes null and void.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
I actually opened this thread to rant about how we don't need to change the rules every year. But not re-starting the tackle count from a charge down and BOD to the defending team are two great alterations. I'd agree 100% with those. Nothing else.

Valheru

Coach
A double movement shouldn’t be a penalty, a no try certainly, but not a penalty. I have never worked out why it is a penalty, it should just be a quick blow of the whistle to say no try and a play the ball or turn over depending on tackle count. It’s not foul play so a penalty seems steep to me.

applesauce

Bench
A double movement shouldn?t be a penalty, a no try certainly, but not a penalty. I have never worked out why it is a penalty, it should just be a quick blow of the whistle to say no try and a play the ball or turn over depending on tackle count. It?s not foul play so a penalty seems steep to me.

It's like passing the ball off the ground. The tackle was made, the attacher went on with it, therefore penalty.

phenisha

Juniors
I want the refs to stop telling players the rules.

For example if a player wants to take a tap with players offside he is an idiot, he should not get another go at it.

Justafan

Juniors
A strip penalty should only be classsed as a strip when it is physically reefed out of a players grasp and not tapped out because of a loose carry. Make the bloody attacking players hold onto the ball and not give them a leg up for sloppy ball control. Hate that!

hutch

First Grade
I'm confused, is this just for the nrl? Or super league, internationals, origin, French league, nzrl, usarl, digicel cup in png, nsw cup, Qld cup, parramatta under 8's div 3? The nrl will be a code on its own if it continues to change too many rules.

Btw it's a terrible idea and will never happen.

juro

Bench
If a player gets suspended at the judiciary, his team has to start the next game against that same opponent 1 player down, for 3 minutes for each of rounds he was suspended. eg if Billy Slater got a 2 match suspension for something he did against the Raiders, the next time the Storm play the Raiders, they start with 12 men for the first 6 minutes. The player missing would not necessarily have to be the suspended player (eg if he was injured or had changed clubs).

Ulysseus

Bench
Baseball bats.

i lol'd :D
013009_warriors-furies.jpg

Ulysseus

Bench
On a side note, would also like to see the rule that for every try a team scores, their cheergirls have to remove one item of clothing. Couple this with a 10 minute period of no tackling...

its good in theory.............................. until you remember that souths don't have cheergirls and instead have fat arseholes playing oversized drums.

hunters

Juniors
Charging down a kick should NOT restart the tackle count.
Seems I'm the only person that doesn't agree with this. Don't know why, in this one instance, you would not restart the count when the defending team plays at the ball when every other instance of the defending team playing at the ball does restart it.

Would also further muddy the waters between a charge down and playing at the ball, especially on chip kicks.

No knock on is enough of an advantage for me.

hutch

First Grade
Actually, thinking about changes that could improve the sport, the one thing I would like to see is the clock to stop when a try is scored and restarted when the defending team kicks off. I don't see the point of the clock continuing to count down during this period, seems like such a waste.

jonno_knights

Juniors
Do you honestly think that teams wouldn't abuse this rule? With 15 minutes to go, it's highly likely that players will go down injured. This way the fresh player can make an impact. I think this rule would negatively effect the game.

Bring back reserve grade to gameday, then 18th man from that game can come on if a player is injured through foul play (i.e. play put on report).

Or just the travelling 18th man, as reserve grade will never be back IMO, as much as i want it too.

hunters

Juniors
1. Benefit of the doubt to the DEFENDING SIDE. Any doubt, "no try". Simple.
2. Obstruction, ANY player that runs through the line, it is an obstruction, make it very simple, I don't care if he runs through, he is obstructing the defence.
3. No golden point, golden try.
4. 18th player as a "substitute" to replace an injured player during the game.
5. Any person put on report spends 5 minutes in the sin bin
4. There's already 4 substitutes sitting on the bench. There's no need to drag another guy around the place.
5. That's absurd. How many incidents have been placed on report and found to warrant no action?

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
can only kick for touch for penalties where somebody has actually been fouled. The rest is a tap and 6 more tackles where they already are. For example a high shot/spear tackle would be a penalty and an optional kick for touch. Being offside isn't.

Would include ruck infringements in the non foul category as well. Cuts down the impact of dodgy penalties that could of have either way or ones that are just from poor handling and wrongly get a penalty in their favour which happens way too often.

Would take a lot of the ability the refs currently have to completely ruin a game and less games would be decided piggy backs down into scoring territory from absolute crap. If someone gets a high shot, elbow int he face, lifted above the horizontal etc it's hard to get the call wrong for a kick for touch (although they still manage to do it occasionally)

Last edited:

Mader45

Juniors
Get rid of the male cheerleaders some clubs have brought in. Theyre making perving on the underage cheer girls at Tigers games even more uncomfortable than it already is

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
if a player touches the ball and knocks it forward and one of his team mates picks it up and places it over the line it's a "no try"

wait hang on.....

webbland

Juniors
what if, when an attacking player with the ball crosses the sideline, it's simply classified as a tackle and the attacking team retains possession, plays the ball from where the scrum would otherwise be and continues through its set, sort of similar to in american football?
The advantage to a rule change like this is that it would encourage attacking teams to throw the ball out wide more and, hence, encourage more open play. It would bring the action towards the sidelines more frequently which would be better for spectators at the ground to see, rather than play mainly staying in the middle third of the field.
Thoughts?
noooooooooooooooooooooooo