What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

O'Hara a Tiger

smeghead

Bench
Biggest mistake was Canberra dropping his offer after injury. That and a move closer to family on CC. The Tigers have a history of taking injured broken players and making them perform again. Eg: Prince, Hodgson and Richards

legend

Coach
Not sad to see him go to be honest. Looked overweight at the start of the season and more interested in his haircuts than his on field performances. I just hope we are saving the money for something worthwhile, however, I highly doubt it.

skeepe

Immortal
Raiders lose prop as Tigers tame O'Hara
By Peter Fitzgerald Rugby league
Friday, 24 June 2005

The Wests Tigers have secured the services of Canberra's Ryan O'Hara after he signed a three-year deal with the club yesterday.
Since venting his frustration a month ago over what he described a "disappointing handling of his contract renewal" by the Raiders, both the Tigers and North Queensland Cowboys offered the one-time Origin representative a three-year deal.

O'Hara eventually decided on the Tigers for geographical reasons and the team list.

The Tigers' offer was faxed to him on Wednesday night and the prop confirmed the deal yesterday morning.

"The Tigers have got two great young halves and a quality hooker and fullback in their key positions so I think they are really going forward," he said.

"And North Queensland is so far away.

"By moving to Sydney, I'm only down the road really so it will be a lot easier to keep in touch with the boys."

O'Hara has not played since injuring his shoulder during the Raiders' round-four loss to the Dragons. He underwent a shoulder reconstruction as a result of the injury and is well into his rehabilitation program.

O'Hara played 95 matches with the Raiders during his five-year tenure in the national capital. A former Central Coast junior, he played 18 minutes of Origin football for the NSW Blues last year under coach Phil Gould and was in line for selection again this year before being struck down by injury.

O'Hara was forced to play second-fiddle to the Raiders' dominant forward pack of Ruben Wiki, Luke Davico and Jason Croker for the majority of his time in Canberra and was looking forward to stepping up in 2005.

But injury ruined any such dream and he leaves disappointed yet thankful for getting "the ideal start" to his career.

"I've been in Canberra for five years now and loved my time here," he said.

"Matty [Elliott] has been the biggest influence on my career so far and all the boys are my mates as well.

"In saying that, I'm really excited about the move to the Tigers."

O'Hara plans on travelling overseas in August before returning to his parents' house on the Central Coast and finding accommodation in Sydney.

Meanwhile former Raider Luke Davico will make a decision on his playing future over the weekend.

Davico flew to Melbourne last week to view the Storm's facilities and was "all-but sure" of signing with the Victorians.

But a visit to the Newcastle Knights earlier this week has forced him to delay his decision.

"The trip to Newcastle has thrown a real spanner into the works," Davico said last night. "They were the first club to contact me when I got back from England and I only really went down out of courtesy but I was really impressed and I've got a very tough decision to make now."

Herbert named top junior

Promising Raiders teenager Marc Herbert was last night named Under-18s Player of the Year at the club's junior presentation night at West Belconnen Leagues Club.

It has been a big week for the 18-year-old five-eighth, who also re-signed with the Raiders until the end of the 2007 season.

Herbert captained the Raiders under-18s to the SG Ball premiership earlier in this season, kicking the match-winning field goal in the thrilling 13-12 semi-final win over Manly.

He has since been promoted to the Under- 20s and will play out the rest of the 2005 season with the Raiders Jersey Flegg team.

http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/de...gory=general sport&story_id=403752&y=2005&m=6

Chosing Tigers over the Cowboys? That's a brave move.

legend

Coach
It seems management aren't handling negotiations very well at all and I'd just like to point out a handy looking side with a common theme:

Joel Monaghan
Rod Jensen
Jamaal Lolesi
Sione Faumuina
Jamie Soward
Brett Finch
Michael Monaghan
Ben Kennedy
Ruben Wiki
Richard Villasanti
Ryan O'Hara
Luke Priddis
Brent Kite

Todd Payten
Luke Davico

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
Soward left cause we couldnt compete with the money that was offered to him.

Its true we dont handle negotitians that well but a few guys on that list left for other reasons.

RABK

Referee
Not to worry Canberra, O'hara seemed to be in a bit of a comfort zone.

Weyman and Tilse have the potential to be NSW's front row in 5 years.

Tilse is a future rep player, trust me on that.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
legend said:
It seems management aren't handling negotiations very well at all and I'd just like to point out a handy looking side with a common theme:

Joel Monaghan
Rod Jensen
Jamaal Lolesi
Sione Faumuina
Jamie Soward
Brett Finch
Michael Monaghan
Ben Kennedy
Ruben Wiki
Richard Villasanti
Ryan O'Hara
Luke Priddis
Brent Kite

Todd Payten
Luke Davico

You can do that with just about every side in the comp.

Roy Rover

Juniors
Red and Blue Knight said:
Not to worry Canberra, O'hara seemed to be in a bit of a comfort zone.

Weyman and Tilse have the potential to be NSW's front row in 5 years.

Tilse is a future rep player, trust me on that.

Thank you for your kind words in this difficult time.

Chachi

Bench
Not the most dedicated athlete in the world...good luck to him tho'.

(he says, looking forward to Tilse and Weyman together in lime green...)

schnitzel

Juniors
No great loss. His asthma combined with off field habits make him play too few minutes. All the best to him though, will serve the Tigers well.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
How come Canberra always lose their good players? It's been happening for a while. Yet you still manage to keep Tyran Smith. :?

Latest posts