What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old Big League & Rugby League Week Magazines

macnaz

Staff member
Yeah after looking through this stuff I am inclined to agree with you. I am thinking of getting a converter to digitise all of these VHS tapes so I may be able to make these available to everyone. There's some amazing stuff here, I keep digging up more and more. Sevens tournaments, everything.

I love to be able see some of them old games. As for converting them its pretty easy and cheap. PM me if u need any advice or help :)

GongPanther

Referee
A bit of advice when you dig out the old VHS tapes and are thinking about converting.

Fast foreword and rewind the tapes on the player before you copy them as years of NOT being used can make them "stick" and end up in getting chewed in the player.

This also happens to cheap tapes as well were you get the coating (I call chipping or flaking) coming off if they haven't been played for a while.

It was the reason why I shelled out for the more expensive,at the time,BASF tapes.

Also leave the tape in the player,especially in winter time,for at least 5 minutes so the player and the tape has enough time to "warm-up" before converting.

I learned all this by experience and I hope it will save some heartache and frustration.

bileduct

Coach
Thanks for the advice mate. Every time I put a tape in I fully fast forward and rewind it twice before converting it. Luckily 90% of these tapes have only been used once (when they were recorded onto), so there is no slackness in the tape commonly associated with playing them many times up to a particular point.

GongPanther

Referee
And like audio tapes,they do stretch after a long long use.

Keep them in a well dry place were the temp does not fluctuate I.E. Hot to cold,cold to hot.

Every now and then,around 3-4 months,I let the tapes air out.

But only during dry days so that oxide smell can escape.

You might not get it as i have a couple of hundred vid tapes and over 300 audio tapes.

GongPanther

Referee
EDIT: What I mean by air the tapes out is that all my collection is in a cupboard,with doors so I simply open the tape draws and the cupboard door and let it air for a couple of hours or until the weather changes.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you still have the magazines bileduct?

if so, did you have any with team line-ups from the Superleague World Club Challenge debacle in 1997?