What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Olympic Discipline

griff

Bench
No, to be considered as a men's sport you need to have at least 40 nations on at least 5 continents.

Jacques Rogge is a big RU fan so they are looking at RU 7s for Beijing 2008.

dimitri

First Grade
no way in hell untill our international body gets more clout and much more organised with regular meetings and power over all national bodies

dimitri

First Grade
with new teams such as singapore surely we could almost fill the criteria of 40 nations and 5 continents

continents include

Australia
Africa
Europe
North America
Asia

mono_mal

Juniors
Rugby League can definately fullfill the continent requirement though I'm not quite sure if they can get 40 countries.
Continents:
Australia
Africa eg. South Africa
Asia eg. Japan
Europe eg. France
South America eg. Argentina
North America eg. USA

Although even if Rugby League can provide 40 nations I really doubt its inclusion would be worthy for a long time yet.

dimitri

First Grade
if some work was put in

id imagine both league and union would be worthy inclusions into the olympics

Justin666

Juniors
of course we could get rugby into the olympics, even if its rugby union and not rugby league :shock: About 100 nations play rugby union, so there is plenty of nations to choose from. Dont know how many nations play rugby league though.

playdaball

Bench
RL could not get it act together in the PACIFIC games last year - I think they needed 4 teams and failed!

dimitri said:
rugby union shouldnt be there

its more boring than synchronised swimming

It can't be more boring than reading your posts . I think I find the union 7s version more exciting to watch than the league one .

screeny

Bench
Polynesian Warrior said:
dimitri said:

It can't be more boring than reading your posts . I think I find the union 7s version more exciting to watch than the league one .

Tell me Warrior, do you know which code has more running and tackling in it, RU or RL?

I've not asked you that question for quite some time now. Maybe you've been away learning the most basic fundamental principles of both codes?

shiznit

Coach
id go for the Union 7's in Bejing.
but thats not to say you cant have League players in there.
i think the IOC should run the tournoment and not the IRB.
that way the individual olympic commities can not be run by the rugby unions.
then they could appoint a coaching staff that can select players from both Rugby Union and Rugby League.
Union 7's would be the better choice because it better known around the world and its alot more evenly contested then the league equivalent.
any of these sides could win a union one:
NZ, AUS, SA, ENG, FRA, SAM, ARG, FIJ.
and other sides could improve into awesome sides if league players went and played for them.

screeny said:
Polynesian Warrior said:
dimitri said:

Tell me Warrior, do you know which code has more running and tackling in it, RU or RL?

I've not asked you that question for quite some time now. Maybe you've been away learning the most basic fundamental principles of both codes?

Screeny you ask me that question and I gave the same answer the guys on the union section gave you .
So if you think that everyone here's opinion is wrong except for yours then so be it .

Back to the topic , I think the union 7's should be at Beijing and played in Hong Kong during the Olympics .
Any players should represent their country whether they play league or union .

screeny

Bench
Polynesian Warrior said:
screeny said:
Polynesian Warrior said:
dimitri said:

So does that mean that "you don't know" still, which is the answer you gave me on the other forum (I can dig it out if you like, so just admit that's what you said)?

Screeny you ask me that question and I gave the same answer the guys on the union section gave you .
So if you think that everyone here's opinion is wrong except for yours then so be it .

Back to the topic , I think the union 7's should be at Beijing and played in Hong Kong during the Olympics .
Any players should represent their country whether they play league or union .

screeny

Bench
Ooops, I messed up the quote thing.

Here's what I said:

So does that mean that "you don't know" still, which is the answer you gave me on the other forum (I can dig it out if you like, so just admit that's what you said)?

Latest posts