What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

On a hiding to nothing....

parra pete

Referee
How would you like to be in Mick Hagan's shoes in 2007...He will be on a hiding to nothing when he takes over as coach of the Eels......

He will be coming into a team that will be decimated by the loss of senior players (McKinnon, O'Dwyer, Delaney, Williams, Morris, J Smith, Morrison and Widders) from a team that won at least eight games straight to resurrect a season.......
and he will be coming from a Club that has a terrible record without its star player Joey Johns..

I will be interested to see how he copes. It will be intriguing to watch. After this year's Grand Final, I'll be looking forward to see how it all unfolds for Mick Hagan...

lucablight

First Grade
Delaney, Williams and Jeremy Smith aren't regular first graders. Ben Smith and Tahu have had a combo which won the minor premiership so the loss of ODwyer isn't really an issue. Most people would say Hayne is a better player than Mckinnon. He still has the cattle to do well. There are no excuses. Especially since we're decimated by injuries atm and still doing well and he'll start off with a full strength squad.

Eelementary

Post Whore
McKinnon >>>> Burt

Delaney >>>> Ben Smith

Morris >>>> Finch

Morrison >>>> Ian Hindmarsh

Williams >>>> Hayne

All our current players have similar, if not more, experience than the ones leaving. Our biggest loss there would probably be O'Dwyer.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Our first layer of player talent will definitely challenge for the finals, however my concern is the depth of our outside backs 1 or 2 injuries can make things very interesting, I'd like to think they could pick up some cheap backs to cover that.

But you're right Pete, he is on a hiding to nothing but I'm sure he'll relish the challenge.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
parra pete said:
How would you like to be in Mick Hagan's shoes in 2007...He will be on a hiding to nothing when he takes over as coach of the Eels......

He will be coming into a team that will be decimated by the loss of senior players (McKinnon, O'Dwyer, Delaney, Williams, Morris, J Smith, Morrison and Widders) from a team that won at least eight games straight to resurrect a season.......
and he will be coming from a Club that has a terrible record without its star player Joey Johns..

I will be interested to see how he copes. It will be intriguing to watch. After this year's Grand Final, I'll be looking forward to see how it all unfolds for Mick Hagan...

aren't you the bloke who keeps saying, 'lets worry about that in 2007"

Parraren

Bench
eelavation said:
my concern is the depth of our outside backs 1 or 2 injuries can make things very interesting, I'd like to think they could pick up some cheap backs to cover that.

Chris Walker? :crazy:

Stagger eel

Staff member
Parraren said:
Chris Walker? :crazy:

I actually thought about him the other day as there's a few players with firstgrade experiance who to the best of my knowledge aren't signed by anyone as yet. Reece Simmonds and Michael Crocket are 2 others.

parraknick

Juniors
Eelementary said:
McKinnon >>>> Burt

Delaney >>>> Ben Smith

Morris >>>> Finch

Morrison >>>> Ian Hindmarsh

Williams >>>> Hayne

All our current players have similar, if not more, experience than the ones leaving. Our biggest loss there would probably be O'Dwyer.

You cannot be serious

Parraren

Bench
eelavation said:
I actually thought about him the other day as there's a few players with firstgrade experiance who to the best of my knowledge aren't signed by anyone as yet. Reece Simmonds and Michael Crocket are 2 others.

Yeah I was going to suggest Reece Simmonds. I think we were talking to him a few years back when he was playing fb in Prem's but he ended up re-signing with Saints. Not a bad player, especially for depth.

I don't know alot about Crocket though.

I've also noticed Newcastle have quite a few backs still off-contract...

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
IMO we should chase one fringe first grade centre (not sure who) and all the other backs (maybe 2 or 3 more) we should be chasing should be very young guys who we can develop in premier league and/or Jersey flegg.

New Zealand is a area that is rich in depth that we should look at. There is so much untapped potential over there.

Also we should be looking at other sides succssful Flegg sides especially the Knight's as we are also getting their coach in Rip Taylor, are we not, and that would be a factor in attracting them here.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I understand that the management has made outside backs their priority at the moment as they believe that we're a little thin back there for depth.

sooperdooper

First Grade
i think hagan was always going to have a tough year next year.
Coming to a club as well structered with great jnrs is always hard as us eels fans want a premiership