What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One Day World Cup 2023

solid win...

be interesting to see what people think of how this world cup is structure, lot of games and crowds already underwhelming
For India that is cricket mad as well, the crowds seem poor.
To much T20 comp for them? Much like Syndey doesn't support international league very well lost season.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
At the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorist I think there's a bit going on behind the scenes re: poor attendances etc. Part deliberate, part incompetence.

The whole competition was extremely poorly organised with draws only announced at the last minute. I actually looked into going there and essentially couldn't because no-one was operating a tour because nothing was planned.

I've also heard that there has been a large scale ticketing scam/fraud which has effectively taken a lot of tickets off the market.

Underpinning all of this is the general feeling that the BCCI aren't interested in ODI cricket anymore and it would be to their advantage for the tournament to flop so they can say "see, people only care about IPL now".

JJ

Immortal
At the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorist I think there's a bit going on behind the scenes re: poor attendances etc. Part deliberate, part incompetence.

The whole competition was extremely poorly organised with draws only announced at the last minute. I actually looked into going there and essentially couldn't because no-one was operating a tour because nothing was planned.

I've also heard that there has been a large scale ticketing scam/fraud which has effectively taken a lot of tickets off the market.

Underpinning all of this is the general feeling that the BCCI aren't interested in ODI cricket anymore and it would be to their advantage for the tournament to flop so they can say "see, people only care about IPL now".
Could be something in that

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I could believe this. Rotten self-serving organisation.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Yeah, the ICC have a plan to only play ODI cricket in World Cup years, I hate it. It will never happen but I’d rather see no international T20 cricket, leave that hit and giggle stuff for franchise cricket

Currently watching the Poms slaughter Bangladesh, will probably get up to 400 from here. Might be a bit of a dinosaur but much preferred the contests years ago where 240 played 240 and everyone had a chance, rather than the bowlers just being fodder now

JJ

Immortal
Poms with a bit of a collapse, will still be an imposing total though

Blair

Coach
Yeah, the ICC have a plan to only play ODI cricket in World Cup years, I hate it. It will never happen but I’d rather see no international T20 cricket, leave that hit and giggle stuff for franchise cricket

Currently watching the Poms slaughter Bangladesh, will probably get up to 400 from here. Might be a bit of a dinosaur but much preferred the contests years ago where 240 played 240 and everyone had a chance, rather than the bowlers just being fodder now
I'm trying to remember who won the last T20 WC, let alone last season's BBL, let alone IPL, etc, etc.

But I can tell you about every (ODI) World Cup from the first one.

Perhaps the BCCI, ICC, whatever, have their eyes on the money and a new generation of cricket fans with no soul?

Reactions: JJ

JJ

Immortal
I'm trying to remember who won the last T20 WC, let alone last season's BBL, let alone IPL, etc, etc.

But I can tell you about every (ODI) World Cup from the first one.

Perhaps the BCCI, ICC, whatever, have their eyes on the money and a new generation of cricket fans with no soul?
Yep, tests and odis have so much more to them

even in these bashathons, Bangladesh fought back and showed real character with the ball

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Monster run chase by Pakistan to beat Sri Lanka getting 345 with an over and a bit to spare.
I agree that these 300+ totals being the norm now is weird though.

Blair

Coach
SA look the goods. 311-7, Australia dropped about four catches.

I thought NRL ground announcers were annoying but this oke in Lucknow takes the cake. The sheer noise would be insufferable inside the stadium.

Edit: and SA won by 134 runs. Aust were five for 65 at the start. The 'five times champions' look to be struggling this time round.

Last edited:

Blair

Coach
...Underpinning all of this is the general feeling that the BCCI aren't interested in ODI cricket anymore and it would be to their advantage for the tournament to flop so they can say "see, people only care about IPL now".
On TV I looked up at the stands and saw what seemed an official marketing slogan: 'It Takes One Day!'.

That could be deliberately negative! As in 'it takes ALL day!' I'm surprised something like 'T20 Is More Suited To Our Attention Spans #IPL2023/24' isn't shown below.

Latest posts