What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One Ref

wilco44

Juniors
Er... Why?

And... Why?
In some respect, it's the governing body. How different years they are trying to improve the game for example video ref - they had to change that also.
Sometimes with 2 refs, they are a joke. With 1 referee it will be farcical.
I hope I'm wrong and I'll give them 2 rounds and if it's a joke, I'll give it to them here and mates and when the pub and clubs open haha

Perth Red

Post Whore
It will only work if the ref is allowed to control the game. Vlandys says he will back them to do that regardless of media furore that will erupt if we see 30plus penalties a game (Thinking about it the dumb six again rule change is going to reduce penalties for ruck infringements for this reason), let’s hope he does or it will become a complete mess. im in favour of one ref IF they can show some balls and control the game, stop being mates to players, stop coaching them and just control the game.

Cactus

Juniors
It will only work if the ref is allowed to control the game. Vlandys says he will back them to do that regardless of media furore that will erupt if we see 30plus penalties a game (Thinking about it the dumb six again rule change is going to reduce penalties for ruck infringements for this reason), let’s hope he does or it will become a complete mess. im in favour of one ref IF they can show some balls and control the game, stop being mates to players, stop coaching them and just control the game.

Sure. But is Gould going to keep his trap shut and let the game get on with it or............................

AJB1102

First Grade
Vlandys says he will back them to do that regardless of media furore that will erupt if we see 30plus penalties a game (Thinking about it the dumb six again rule change is going to reduce penalties for ruck infringements for this reason)

Sharks coach said in something a few days ago that something like 56% of penalties were ruck infringements so it absolutely will reduce the penalty count, significantly. But changing the name and way its dished out doesn't mean its no longer a "penalty" play just resumes quicker.

I'd wager offside penalties jump to make up the difference in penalties blown unless discipline in the ruck improves a lot.

If no one is onside and its a 6 again called they're gonna be copping the offside penalty over a line break and probably try. If its tackle 14 they'll do it for the breather - has anyone spared a thought for the merkin who changes the tackle count graphic?.

Professional foul call will be a risk but we're not gonna replace ruck penalties with sin bins so unless you're a certain few players you'll be right. If everyone is offside and 2-3 guys make a tackle they're not all getting binned.

Laying all over a tackle will still result in more time for the line to set in defence and 6 more tackles just without a possible touch finder or penalty goal.

tl;dr: Wanna break in play? Be offside, preferably in company. Slowing down the tackle is still slowing it down, the defence still gets that time to set.

ACTPanthers

Bench
70% of refs don't deserve their fee. Though the NRL shouldn't be played hardcore and get some retired refs and some promising young refs.
Why? It's will play in the hands with teams like Storm, Bunnies, and a few others. Now with video crap...and the 3 ---well the 2nd Ref now??? lol! Those refs have it easy now...F'n Pussies!

This, right here, is the epitome of an Old Man Yells At Cloud post...

Saxon

Bench
well he lauded Vlandys and the decision so would be very hypocritical if he did lol

"Wrestling is ruining the game. Too much slowing down the ruck. Refs are weak and badly coached." said Phil.
Refs start penalising the shit out of offenders.
"Too many penalties, over-officiating, the refs are out of their depths and badly coached." said Phil.

Gould a hypocrite? Surely not. Nothing to see here.

Last edited:

wilco44

Juniors
This, right here, is the epitome of an Old Man Yells At Cloud post...
At the time I was drunk because - after 2 wisdom where removed. One was horizontal and many stitches and what the oral surgeon said "2-3 weeks pain" -on panadeine forte and grog. Still painful ...I'm the idiot really - I thought the pain was from the plates in my jaw..it wasn't! haha - it only 2 years to differ that out, another dentist! Lol! :oops:
I still believe there are some refs which shouldn't get money. Some young refs, they get physically abused and they don't get paid - they're pretty good.
That's my point Panther...

Jackie Treehorn

Juniors
Sharks coach said in something a few days ago that something like 56% of penalties were ruck infringements so it absolutely will reduce the penalty count, significantly. But changing the name and way its dished out doesn't mean its no longer a "penalty" play just resumes quicker.

I'd wager offside penalties jump to make up the difference in penalties blown unless discipline in the ruck improves a lot.

If no one is onside and its a 6 again called they're gonna be copping the offside penalty over a line break and probably try. If its tackle 14 they'll do it for the breather - has anyone spared a thought for the merkin who changes the tackle count graphic?.

Professional foul call will be a risk but we're not gonna replace ruck penalties with sin bins so unless you're a certain few players you'll be right. If everyone is offside and 2-3 guys make a tackle they're not all getting binned.

Laying all over a tackle will still result in more time for the line to set in defence and 6 more tackles just without a possible touch finder or penalty goal.

tl;dr: Wanna break in play? Be offside, preferably in company. Slowing down the tackle is still slowing it down, the defence still gets that time to set.

Yeah this is how I see it too. A lot of people seem to assume we’re gonna get a lightening fast game with the rule changes but I doubt that will happen. Defences will still find ways to slow down the ruck. Standing offside will become the new way to concede a penalty if you want to slow it down and reset.

IMO they haven’t thought the rule changes through properly. It could get real messy.

Chimp

Juniors
Yeah this is how I see it too. A lot of people seem to assume we’re gonna get a lightening fast game with the rule changes but I doubt that will happen. Defences will still find ways to slow down the ruck. Standing offside will become the new way to concede a penalty if you want to slow it down and reset.

IMO they haven’t thought the rule changes through properly. It could get real messy.
Tackles 1 and 2 will be where teams are coached to give away the 6 again - An extra tackle is worth it to slow down the first 2 tackles to allow your kick chase to get there and get properly set - takes away a big part of the benefit of big meter eating wingers and fullbacks.

Jackie Treehorn

Juniors
Tackles 1 and 2 will be where teams are coached to give away the 6 again - An extra tackle is worth it to slow down the first 2 tackles to allow your kick chase to get there and get properly set - takes away a big part of the benefit of big meter eating wingers and fullbacks.

So in that circumstance the attacking team would rather get the penalty, kick for touch, gain an extra 20 metres. So the new rule arguably benefits the defence in that situation more than the attack so is counter productive. Likely to be one of many unintended consequences of a rule change that hasn’t been thought through properly.

Haven’t read the whole thread so I apologise if I’m repeating what people have already said.

Chook Norris

First Grade
Give it a few weeks and teams will be exploiting this somehow, and people will again blame the NRL refereeing circus. I thought the 6 again thing worked well but I dont see any strong rationale as to how one referee itself speeds up the game on a BAU basis

Last edited:

Loose Cannon

Bench
Matty Johns show leads off with an interview with Cameron Smith and his theory on tonight’s game under one ref.

Of all the people at their disposal :rofl:

siv

First Grade
Teams will start kicking the ball into touch under Styarts instructions to get a scrum to get a rest

Confusing when 6 again gets called as the referee is not on the screen.

Teams hiwever can still control the ruck when they get fitter.

Lots of trials style errors.

Latest posts