What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ongoing thread for 2011 NFL draft prospects

abpanther

Staff member
You guys know the drill, for anyone that watches college games or those that have access to good info, feel free to post comments on prospects and your thoughts.

I've got a backlog of info I get emailed from a draftnick I know in the states who runs a draft site, I'm gonna post his comments here...

Last edited:

abpanther

Staff member
Cornerback Patrick Peterson (6'1 215) from LSU is starting to get some notice as the best cornerback in the country, and worthy of a top-five selection in the upcoming draft. He's also one of the top kick-returners in the country, I'd love to see the 49ers grab if we finish in the top 5

abpanther

Staff member
Sleeper alert: Northern Illinois quarterback Chandler Harnish is coming out of nowhere and putting up some pretty impressive performances this season. He's a redshirt junior. I saw him briefly against Toledo and watched him effortlessly throw a perfect 33-yard TD pass that fell right into the arms of a receiver as he was running into the endzone. I've done a little reading, and Harnish is having a great season so far, leading the MAC in passing efficiency with a 66 percent completion percentage and 13 TDs against 4 INTs. He's 6'2 220, and he's also a very good runner. In fact, up until this year, he was noted more for his feet than his arm. We'll have to keep an eye on him as a potential late-round prospect with the potential to surprise in the NFL.

Starting to get some notice?

I'm pretty sure he was the consesus no.1 corner for a while now. Regardless, I definitely agree with your thoughts on him.

On a side note, seriously.... how deep is this 3-4 DE/4-3 DT class.

Marcell Dareus, JJ Watt, Nick Fairley, Allen Bailey, Cameron Heyward, Jared Crick and Cameron Jordan. Amazing how many excellent prospects there are.

abpanther

Staff member
I watched Boise State's demolition of Idaho. I really like the way Boise State has been coached--not so much on offense, but on defense! It was a pleasure to watch defensive players use textbook technique when they made tackles. Instead of simply launching themselves at a ballcarrier, they run through the ballcarrier and wrapup.

Boise State cornerback Brandyn Thompson had a great game with 2 interceptions and a nice breakup of a long pass. He was the defensiveMVP during last year's Fiesta Bowl victory against TCU when he had 2 interceptions--including a pick 6--and 7 tackles. Thompson is very smooth in coverage. He's not a physical player, however. He's a little small at 5'10 (maybe) 180 (maybe), and he doesn't exactly stuff arunning game. He can cover, though, and could be worth a mid-round pick.

Idaho quarterback Nathan Enderle is supposed to be an NFL prospect, but he looked awful to me. He's big (6'4 235) and has a strong arm, but he isn't accurate at all. He also has no pocket presence whatsoever. On a typical play, he drops back, stares down his primary receiver, waits for the pattern to unfold, and if he doesn't get sacked in the meantime, he hurls the ball at the receiver whether he is covered or not, and hopes he puts it somewhere in the right neighborhood. He looks like a linebacker trying to play quarterback.

I'm getting a bit intrigued by Boise State quarterback Kellen Moore. He'll almost certainly stay in school another year, and he's probably too small to play quarterback in the NFL, but damn--the kid can play! He's smart, accurate, has a better arm than I thought, and just dominates the game. He is not in the least physical, however, and the announcers implied that he wasn't very tough. He avoids contact at all costs. I have a feeling that the NFL would grind him into hamburger. But I don't know--the kid reads defenses like Joe Montana and makes such great decisions, and he delivers such accurate passes... I want to see how he develops next year. Maybe he'll fillout. Maybe he'll hit the weight room and get bigger. He's certainly worth keeping an eye on.

I'm also so pumped about Mark Herzlich. He's such a stud. Return from cancer and still gunning it. Whoever gets him in the late 2nd/3rd will get such a steal.

abpanther

Staff member
I watched the Auburn vs Georgia game.

Cam Newton is amazing! His interception was a perfect pass that went right through the hands of his receiver. He is 9 for 11 at halftime, and the only other pass he threw that was not completed was a perfectly thrown bomb that went right through the arms of his receiver. He throws 50-yard frozen ropes, and he can also pull the string and throw with touch. He throws from the pocket, and he throws on the move. And he does it all with horrible footwork! He has tremendous raw talent and no technique. Give him a little good coaching, and he's going to be incredible!

Speaking of incredible, I swear that A.J. Green is the reincarnation of Jerry Rice. He looks just like Rice on the field, same body type and same smooth style of play. Like Rice, he gets off quickly at the snap, beats the jam instantly, and his head never jiggles or bobs while he's running. He cuts on a dime and catches everything within reach, snatching the ball out of the air. Besides his two touchdown grabs, he made a great athletic catch on a ball thrown behind him, twisting in the air, reaching back, and hauling it in. He also made a great grab on a ball at about knee level.

The other player I loved was Auburn DT Nick Fairly. Despite the fact that Georgia scored 31 points, Fairly was practically unstoppable. He was in the Georgia backfield all day. He's also a borderline (I'm being generous) dirty player. He loves to drive the quarterback into the turf. He was called for one blatant late hit in which he buried his helmet in the middle of the quarterback's back. He was NOT called for a late hit in which he drove his helmet into the quarterback's shin or knee and knocked him out of the game. This was the play that precipitated the extracurricular activity in the final plays of the game. To be fair, it's possible that he was blocked into the quarterback, or that he didn't know that the quarterback had already passed the ball. In any case, if he had been playing in the NFL, he'd have incurred some heavy fines today. He's a great prospect, though--
very quick, a great inside pass rusher, and extremely violent! I like him!

abpanther

Staff member
I watched Cal hold Oregon to 15 points, but lose 15-13. Cal had a chance to go ahead in the 4th quarter. Cal kicked a 24-yard field goal to take an apparent 16-15 lead, but the kicker made a false start toward the ball before it was snapped and was flagged for illegal motion. After the five-yard penalty, he pushed the 29-yard field goal attempt wide right, the first time in his college career that he had missed an attempt from less than 30 yards. The Cal defense played agreat game, but the Oregon offense, which had not scored less than 42 points in any game this season, had just enough in the fourth quarter to run out the final 9 minutes of the game and seal the victory.

I was impressed with the whole Cal defense, but defensive end Cameron Jordan (6'4 285) stood out. He stood his ground against the run and put some good pressure on the passer. He's a Justin Smith type: not a big-time pass rusher, but just a rugged, blue-collar, all-round guy who plays hard on every play.

Senior inside linebacker Mike Mohamed had a very productive game, too, but I don't think he's more than a late-round guy. He's got good size (6'3 245), and he made 10 or 12 tackles (including a coverage sack), but he doesn't appear to be all that fast or strong, and he didn't really make any standout stops. The Oregon offense just couldn't get jump-started. They only made one offensive touchdown (the other came on a punt return). Star running back LaMichael James appeared to be running on a bad ankle and didn't do much.

abpanther

Staff member
I watched most of the Ohio State/Iowa game. Lots of NFL prospects inthis one!I mostly wanted to watch Iowa DE Adrian Clayborn and QB Ricky Stanzi,and Ohio State DL Cameron Heyward and CB Chimdi Chekwa. I was much more impressed by the two Ohio State prospects than the Iowa prospects.

Heyward is a beast! He plays all over the defensive line: DE and DT in the 4-man front, and DE in the 3-man front. He is a Justin Smith type of player: his motor is always running, he beats up the man trying to block him, and although he is especially tough against the run, he provides relentless pressure on the quarterback, especially from the DT spot. He is definitely a first-round pick, probably somewhere between picks 10 and 20.

I liked Chekwa, too. I've read mixed reviews, but he is a physical corner with quick feet. He'll stick a running back, and he's especially good at jamming the receiver. He was called for two pass interference penalties, but one was totally bogus and the other was ticky-tack. On the bogus one, he forced the receiver out of bounds with his body while looking back for the ball. It was a perfectly legal play, since his head was clearly looking back toward the quarterback and he was following the path of the ball. I thought it was outstanding coverage. CBS Sportsline rates Chekwa as a third or fourth-round pick, and I think he would be a great risk at that point in the draft.

I'm a big Adrian Clayborn fan, but Iowa used him mainly in containment today against Ohio State's mobile quarterback Terrelle Pryor. He did a good job of holding his point and preventing Pryor from getting outside the pocket, but he wasn't able to aggressively rush the passer. He did get Pryor around the ankles on one play, but Pryor heaved the ball away to avoid the sack (the pass was incomplete). Clayborn plays fast, and he was strong enough to control whoever was blocking him. Even though his sacks are down this year, I think he's still a first-round pick, probably from the middle to the late part of the round.

Ricky Stanzi has been getting some attention this year. He's putting up good numbers, and he has the size and the arm. But I wasn't impressed. He's not accurate with his deeper balls, and he just doesn't have the presence that a star quarterback should have. I think he's a career backup, at best.

Last edited:

abpanther

Staff member
I watched most of the Arkansas/Mississippi St. game, but it was kind of off and on, and I missed a big chunk of the third quarter. I was interested in two players: Arkansas QB Ryan Mallett and Mississippi State OT Derrick Sherrod, considered by some draft sites to be the best offensive-tackle prospect in this draft.

Sherrod was terrific for the entire game--until the very last play! In the second overtime, with his team down by 7 and needing to convert a fourth-down play, Sherrod inexplicably allowed the defensive end to blow by him and nail the quarterback to end the game. It was almost as if he had missed the snap count. Very strange. Up until that play, Sherrod had been dominant on both running and passing downs. He has very quick feet. On running plays, he just destroyed his man. I can't get that last play out of my mind, though.

After watching Mallett last year a couple of times, I was definitely not a fan. He was simply too inconsistent, and good for four or five really odd decisions per game. This was the first time I've seen him this year, and he's improved his game quite a bit. He's still not Einstein out there, but he didn't make as many poor decisions (at least, not while I was watching). He actually looked off his primary receiver a couple of times to find a secondary receiver. Physically, he has all the tools, except the ability to run. He runs like he's wearing combat boots. No, he runs like a dork: flat-footed, all knees and elbows. When it comes to mobility, he makes Peyton Manning look like Michael Vick. But he can make all the throws, including laser shot completions that thread the needle between defenders. I don't think I would want him on my team, but he has a chance to become pretty good.

When the Arkansas/Mississippi State game was over, I switched over to the last ten minutes of the Oregon State/USC game. I don't know how he played during the first three quarters, but OSU DT Stephen Paea single-handedly destroyed the Trojan offense while I was watching. He was unblockable, even when he was double-teamed. He pounded the quarterback on one play, got held on another, and sacked the quarterback and forced a fumble on his final play of the game. They say he's 6'1 311, but I doubt that he's six feet tall. Still, he has something like superhuman strength, and he might be the quickest DT in the nation. Once they get a load of him at the Combine, he might be a top-five pick. If he drops lower than that, he'll be a steal.

Last edited:

Jono1987

Juniors
Has anyone seen footage of Mark Ingram (Alabama) or Mikel LeShoure (Illinois)? The Saints will be after a top RB so I doubt we don't land one of these two standouts.

Latest posts