What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Only 2000 tickets left for Grand Final

Timbo

Staff member
I'm going, I bought my tickets when the Raiders were still in the race but even so I'll be there for the experience.

I hope this doesn't end up like the first AFL grand final with no Melbourne teams, where the MCG only had 77,000 odd in it. That'd be a sad indictment on 'fans' of Rugby League.

ocko

juniors
i don't think you can complain about it- the broncos and the storm earned their way into the gf legitimately, it's not like they've cheated their way in or anything.

Mind you, not begrudging them their spots doesn't mean i'll go to the game or anything. that's the problem the nrl has.

Hoggy

Bench
Timbo said:
I hope this doesn't end up like the first AFL grand final with no Melbourne teams, where the MCG only had 77,000 odd in it. That'd be a sad indictment on 'fans' of Rugby League.

There was a stand missing remember...

Quidgybo

Bench
This Year? said:
Well there was going to be a non-Sydney GF sooner or later. As for off loading tickets,I think there's lots of GF tickets on Ebay. Maybe a lot of neutrals will go to this GF to be a part of history.
The number of tickets on Ebay means absolutely nothing in isolation. Only when compared to a definite count of the number available on Ebay in previous years does it mean anything. There will always be tickets available on E-bay because there'll always be only two teams out of fifteen or sixteen playing in the match. No matter which two teams they happen to be, there will be supporters of other teams who, having bought their ticket in the hope their team would make it, would now like to offload it. Unless someone can indisputably tell us there were 3,000 unique tickets available on E-bay last year and there are 10,000 this year, the point of ticket resales holds no weight.

As for the this year's match, there is no doubt it will be a sell-out - ie. every ticket available for sale will have been sold. I don't know why anyone would bother arguing otherwise. The more interesting question is attendance. How many of those tickets will actually be used? IMHO, given the price of tickets and the high interest in the match no matter who the participants, I'd say very few will be left to waste. I expect at least 80,000. And that'll be good enough proof for me that the forecasts of doom were just scare mongering and the first interstate Grand Final has been an outstanding success.

Leigh.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Come on guys, please show your NRL passion and get to the game. It is a spectacle after all. I have gone evey year since 1995 (except 04' which was unavoidable and I would have gone if I could have)- most of those years Brisbane were not playing! Get to the game!

Timbo

Staff member
Ah yes, but the capacity of the MCG was 82,000.

The ticket boxes at the MCG were still open at kickoff. [or bounce off or whatever its called]

Ice777

Bench
Timbo said:
I'm going, I bought my tickets when the Raiders were still in the race but even so I'll be there for the experience.

Lets not forget that they drew that crowd when it was smack bang in the middle of the MCG redevelopment and what they got was pretty much the capacity at the time ;-)

Timbo

Staff member
Look up at what I just said.

On that day the MCG could fit 82,000 and the ticket boxes were still open at match start.

I remember the commentators saying it during the broadcast.

JW

Coach
Timbo's correct.

That Grand Final didn't sell out - despite the reduced capacity and despite what AFL fans will tell you.

gaterooze

Bench
I went to the previous two GFs, when the Knights weren't even in the 8 -- and I'd be going again this year if not for work. It doesn't matter which teams are playing, it's the bloody GRAND FINAL!

And as it happens, these two particular teams should make a great contest.

Ice777

Bench
JW said:
Timbo's correct.

That Grand Final didn't sell out - despite the reduced capacity and despite what AFL fans will tell you.

Nobody said it sold out but it was very close to capacity and i don't think anyone knows what the exact capacity was at the time of the GF due to redevelopment. Another difference being is all of those tickets for the AFL GF went on sale that week and not months before.

Therefore it only had people that wanted to go and not others who are only going because they brought their tickets months out in the hope their team would make it through. I'm sure there's a fair amount of those people that are going only because they don't want to waste their hard earned and not because they want to go which is fair enough. You only have to see the high amount of tickets on ebay to see how true that is.

I hope like anything it sells out Sunday and i think it will, i'm just putting a bit of perspective on it thats all.

Hoggy

Bench
Timbo said:
Look up at what I just said.

On that day the MCG could fit 82,000 and the ticket boxes were still open at match start.

I remember the commentators saying it during the broadcast.

For MCC members, happens every year.

In 2002 there were only 91k there for Collingwood vs Brisbane despite Collingwood's obvious pulling power (and our first GF in 12 years), this was because the MCC members didn't fill their allocation because it is first come, first serve at 6am, and obviously people didn't believe they would get tickets.

If the 30,000 Pies members who didn't get in had the chance (I got in), it would have been filled, same goes to the Port vs Bris game. I don't think the capacity was 82k either, 79k from memory.

Regardless, it was packed.

Juniors
us storm and broncos supporters proberbly dont even give a rats arse if there is 80,000 or 800, aslong as we get to see our boys fight out one hell of a game on rugby leagues night of nights, i along with my fellow storm fans will be happy, but like they say, the more the merrier