What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Only 5 Brittish players in Wildcats 17

coldhardbitch

Juniors
What an abosolute disgrace from the shame of the league. Below are all the overseas players, and how they supposedly qualify for not fitting the overseas quota.

But what an absolute load of rubbish. they should be kicked from the league, as they are an embarrassment to the league.

Halpenny - Irish passport
Demetroiu - Cypriot passport
Tadulala - Fijian (kolpak)
Jeffries- overseas player
Obst - overseas player
Korkidas - Greek passport
Solomona - Samoan heritage (kolpak)
Betham - as above
Macgillvray - Scottish Dad
Elima - French, doesn't count
Catic - overseas player
Henderson - uk born

The problem is, apparently the league can't cntrol it, cos of somoe labour law sh*t. Well, bugger that, the Super League should say "if ur gonna play in our league, abide by our rules".
I'm fed up with Wakey allready. I'll be very dissapointed if they don't get relegated.

JasonE

Bench
coldhardbitch said:
I'm fed up with Wakey allready. I'll be very dissapointed if they don't get relegated.

Don't worry, they will.
a team of imports getting beaten by 40 is a disgrace.

terracesider

Juniors
I agree CHB but within the European Union, there are no national labour markets anymore. If any individual has an EU passport, then he is an EU citizen and legally entitled to work anywhere throughout the EU labour market. That's the theory and although it's riddled with anomalies, sport isn't one of them.

So legally, they are not imports but domestic players.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
It's a bit funny when you think about it, they have the most imports but they're all sh*t. Why bother, really? So many good, young British players but they ignore them for the likes of Halpenny, Obst and Korkidas.

Evil Homer

Staff member
With Wakefield's awful stadium and poor crowds added to this I think they will really struggle to get a franchise in 2009.

bartman

Immortal
As long as countries give people passports on the basis of grandparent ancestry, then players from anywhere will continue to be able to play equally as Europeans.

And Superleague has no say in the Kolpak law, as it was also a Europe-wide ruling.

The best they could do is maybe award points toward the franchise criteria for clubs showing evidence of fostering local development all the way through to the senior side?

Paullyboy

Coach
Thats all well and good, but Parradude_Jay has a point, why bother having people like Obst and Korkidas? I havent seen them play in years, but they were absolute hacks over here - surely there are better local options anyway?

spook

Juniors
this is fine and dandy but fails to point out that:

a) there were no english players in the Catalan team
b) there were 5 in the London Team
c) only 7 in the Cas and Bradford teams
d) only Hull and Leeds had as few as 4 overseas born players in their weekend squads

That wakefield are as advanced (but not as vocal) in their stadium preparations as Cas, Saints and not far behind Salford, who have some large planning issues associated with their bid..

As I have said before wakefield produce plenty of young talent but (at this moment in time) are not able to keep them very long.. Warrington and Leeds were chasing Obst and Korkidas respectfully, during the closed season... so they cant be that bad!

MrCharisma

Bench
I've really grown tired of Wakey also and hopefully they won't be hanging around next season at the expense of Castleford.

Evil Homer

Staff member
spook said:
this is fine and dandy but fails to point out that:

a) there were no english players in the Catalan team
Why should there be?That would be just like another overseas player for them.

b) there were 5 in the London Team

Expansion area...London isn't in the RL heartland and isn't teeming with junior RL and local interest.

c) only 7 in the Cas and Bradford teams

Poor,but still two more than Wakefield.

d) only Hull and Leeds had as few as 4 overseas born players in their weekend squads

And these two are both unbeaten this season.

As I have said before wakefield produce plenty of young talent but (at this moment in time) are not able to keep them very long..

Well every other club manages well enough...

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
In an ideal world we would get rid of everyone below Wigan in the table.

Clubs good enough to be in Super League:

St Helens
Leeds
Bradford
Hull
Warrington
Wigan

The rest are, in one way or another, a joke.

St.John

Juniors
Wire were a joke until recently. Hull FC likewise.

Where would Quins and Cats be, then?

You're an oaf.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
St.John said:
Wire were a joke until recently. Hull FC likewise.

Where would Quins and Cats be, then?

You're an oaf.

I am? I was just pointing out that whilst Wakefield have their problems, they are no worse than any of the other teams I left off that list.

Its hardly fair to victimise Wakefield is it.

terracesider

Juniors
Fairleigh Good! said:

St Helens
Leeds
Bradford
Hull
Warrington
Wigan

The joke is Wire on that list. It's a very good one.

Gaz_E

Juniors
terracesider said:
The joke is Wire on that list. It's a very good one.

Care to elaborate on that?

We're a team that managed to pull itself away from near insolvancy to having a new stadium, making a profit and heading in the right direction in the last 5/6 years? We've been winning community awards all over the place for years, more and more people coming through the turnstiles each season, record number of season ticket holders this season. The playing side is starting to get it together (ok we've not been great so far this season) through replacing mediocre players with a better standard and our youth/scholarship policy is starting to bear fruit. Our U16's age group is going on tour to Australia at the end of this season, the first for a Super League side.

All people like yourself seem to want to look at is the financial muscle of Simon Moran and suggesting we try and buy success, ok we signed Johns on loan, but we made money out of that deal after we'd paid his wages, Bradford brought in Adrian Morley. The only proved talent we've gone out and bought was Martin Gleeson. Look at the like of Saints, Leeds, Wigan, Bradford, they all paid fees for some of their most influential players (ie Sculthorpe, Long, Lyon (they had to buy out his parra contract), Harris, Senior etc) so paying for players isn't a criticism that can be levelled against us.

As i said before, care to elaborate on Warrington being a joke?

spook

Juniors
Fairleigh Good! said:

St Helens
Leeds
Bradford
Hull
Warrington
Wigan

and Bradfords current financial hemorrhaging is not at all concerning?

terracesider

Juniors
Gaz_E said:
Care to elaborate on that?

No. Humour, even poor humour, loses much through elaborate explanation.

I tire of fans making list in which this side or that side is not fit not be in Super League, but never of course their own club. I've noticed that such arrogance tends not to come from fans who have seen their clubs in the lower divisions within living memory.

Gaz_E

Juniors
I can't comment on a relegation for Warrington because we've not been unfortunate to suffer it, if that has been through consistant mediocrity then so be it.

As for arrogance, i've shown no such thing and tend to call it as i see it. If we're rubbish i'll say so, if i feel the need to defend my team i'll do so. I've contributed to no such lists of who deserves to be where, i'd prefer it to be a meritocratic decision based on the teams ability to compete. I think all the teams in SL are making steps in the right direction and the salary cap is starting to have an effect in evening up the competition. Teams outside SL are making moves to be in a position to bid for a franchise come 2009.

Back to the subject at hand, quite a lot of teams have a lot of none british players in their ranks, Warrington being one of them, it's just like football over here, you pick up the best available within the rules. If better youth players emerge they'll push the imports out (see Leeds, Hull for details). You need to have proper development programmes in place and working well for a while before they bear fruit. The first real lot from Warrington's scholarship are starting to come through now, playing in the trial games etc, and they are by and large local lads too with from what i've heard a fair bit of talent.

Having players to come in depends on a decent junior RL structure and kids participating, i can compare now to what it was like when i was younger and the change is amazing with coaching/club structure, funding, and kids playing, at some age groups at the club i coach at we're running two teams within an age group we've got so many kids turning up. It was never as popular when i started playing. These developments are going to take time to filter through to the higher levels though, as it is starting to now.

The Clan

Juniors
Gareth Ellis
Chris Feather
Danny Brough
Paul March
Keith Mason
Ben Westwood
Tommy Haughy
Steve Snitch
Paul Handforth
Wayne McDonald
All these are players brought through the Trinity Academy. Each and every one of them is now playing 1st team football with a current Super League team.

Nick Fozzard
Jamie Langley
amongst quite a few others are from the Wakefield catchment area and play for other clubs in the Super League.

Add these to the 9 home grown Academy players who are currently in the Trinity 1st team squad and things take on a different picture.

I for one am not happy at the number of overseas players in the Wakefield team and would much rather they signed a good English player rather than look to the overseas all the time.

Its a bit harsh to judge Korkidas on what you Ausies saw of him over there! He was only 20 when he arrived at Trinity, pretty young for a prop, he's come on a heap since then and while he went backwards last year there are many SL clubs who would take him tomorrow if they could.

I reiterate that players who shine in the NRL often fall on their @rses over here while a player who can't cut it in Aus does well.

The styles, weather and emphasis is completely different and may suit one player while being totaly alien to another.

The Clan

Juniors
For the record Trinity like every other club in the SL are increasing their crowds year on year.

There isn't a club outside SL, with the exception of Hull KR & Widnes, who would be better supported than any of the current SL clubs.

Trinity attracted 9,200 for their opening game of the season. I don't expect them to keep that up but they will be significantly better supported than last year. Season tickets sales are up on last year by more than 1,000.

The only thing drasticly wrong with Trinity is the stadium, but before supporters of Hull FC, Warrington and Huddersfield start lecturing they should take a step back and realise how lucky they are to have had new stadia provided for them.

Trinity will deliver a new stadium and take their place amongst the other existing SL clubs in 2009. Joined, probably, by Widnes and Doncaster.