What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ooh Aah, Glenn McGrath

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Glenn McGrath took another 5 wickets (for 54 runs) at Lords overnight to continue his great run at the home of cricket.
Last time he was at Lords 4 years back, McGrath took 8/38 and looks set to repeat the dose by the time this 2nd Test is done with.
We shouldn't forget Mark Waugh on his ton (I saw his wicket during wee hours, a run out offcourse) and Steve Waugh for winning the toss for the 18th time in 26 outings.
At stumps on the 2nd day Australia were 5/255 in reply to England's all out for 187.

So while Australia looks set for an innings victory (weather permitting)...just how good is Glenn McGrath?
He seems to be holding up pretty well and I reckon by the time his done with, he'll be remembered as being bigger than Dennis Lillie.

Garbage

Juniors
mcgrath is a legend - no doubt he is one of oz's best bowlers ever, but.............

is he ever going to come out to bat with an aluminium bat? or kick that pakky bastard? dennis is a hard act to follow!

Glen McGrath is one of the most hated and disrespected International players around, and has been for many years now.
His onfield actions he continously displaysare obnoxious and downright un-Australian and unsportsman-like.
So please don't anyone try and tell me it's the killer instinct, or the competitive spirit he displays ... because he's just a downright arrogant, rude and unsportsman-like first class prick.
When he retires, he will rightfully be remembered as a more than average bowler as well asan A-class wanker.
Nothing more ... nothing less.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
If it hasn't already been said, welcome Garbage and welcome Whisky Priest.

Garbage: I think you may be right. I forgot about the Lillie v Miandad exchanges. Very hard to act to follow. I may have to re-think my comment about who will remembered the most.
emwink.gif

Whisky Priest: I couldn't disagree with you more.
Perhaps McGrath should politely ask the batsmen if he can bowl a short one in next... or maybe he should ask if they're ready for a yorker?
If McGrath is an at best anaverage bowler then he must be a very fortunate average bowler, considering his wicket taking history.
I think you're allowing your personal opinion get in the way of facts.

BTW, Can someone tell me what is considered 'un-Australian'? I only ask because it seems to me that to 'Australian' requires us to constantly take the high moral ground and act in a manner where we are always fair and never say nasty things. Most of all, being 'Australian' seems to mean that no one is ever to allowed to be unsportsman like.
Excuse me for digging on this, but the list of Australians who have been accused of being 'un-Australian' is a long one. So long in fact that maybe we should revised our defintions.

Thanks for the welcome Willow.
I posted that McGrath will be remembered as more than an average bowler, not just an average bowler.
Sure, his records do (to some degree) speak for themselves, but his attitude on the field, is far from being good enough for my liking, orfor me letting my young one look up to him as a role model.
The correct terminology of unaustralian is of a personal opinion, and in my opinion Glen McGrath fits the discription to a tee.
As for the personal opinion remark you made ..... well, I thought that was what these Forums were all about ..personal opinions.
That's all I was expressing.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Whisky Priest:
Hey... I think it goes without saying that your opinion is appreciated.
Sorry, I see now that you consider McGrath to be a 'more than average' bowler. I just saw the words 'A-Grade wanker' there as well and from the tone of your post I assumed that you had a low opinion of McGrath's sporting achievements. Sorry, if I got this wrong.
You see, I consider him to be one of the best. In fact, I consider him to a champion cricketer. This is just opinion as wellbut his record does support my view.
Even though you didn't want anyone to say it, IMO, he would not have become such a successful bowler if he didn't have this 'competitive spirit'.
So I guess we have tojust disagree.

The talk about what is 'Australian' and what is 'un-Australian' was just a general comment and not particulary in reference to anything in this thread. I just hear it so often that I mentioned it in passing.
Perhaps we need someone to start a whole new thread entitled 'What is un-Australian?'
Perhaps then we might be able to unravel the mystery.
emwink.gif

TheSaint

Juniors
Being Un-Australian seems to be the run of the mill things Australians do. Racism is Un-Australian but many Australians show levels of racism. Cheating and sledging areUn-Australian but many do that as well. Booingis Un-Australian but it all ways happens.

Being Australian is believing mediapropaganda, being led like a sheep and generally being Apathetic. Everyting bad in the world could not possibly be Australian and therefore if you don't like it, its Un-Australian. It's hypocracy at it's best.

I'm proud to act Un-Australian

O

ozbash

whether you like it or not studebaker, the majority of the members here left W.O,R,L to get away from that sort of shit.
the saints opinion is as valued on this forum as your own.
personal abuse for the sake of abuse is not on and wont be tolerated.
we all enjoy slinging a bit of the brown stuff at each other, but i,m drawing a line. cross it at your own risk.

I think it's a bit unfair ozbash when you singal out only one party, when quite clearly there were two people involved.
It doesn't really matter who instigated the personal abuse, or the extent/level in which it continued. The point, is if two parties are willing to go at it, as far as I can see, both should be found guilty.
Your post should have been directed at both involved rather than just Studebaker. Afterall, either one of them could have chosen to withdrawl at anytime .. Correct?
I'm just pointing out the obvious. Not choosing sides.
Cheers / Aaron C.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Studebaker. Cool it, right?
Sure Saint threw some shit at you as well but let's get the obvious into perspective, ok?
I get mighty pissed off to when I see someone jumping into a discussion just to start an argument.
Thats right YOU started it. And by doing so you buggered things up.
I think Ozbash was pretty fair with you.
I have this thing about posters running around forums spoiling for an argument.
Wake up to yourself.