What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Open letter from Gould to Ricky

Frenzy.

Post Whore
I love Sticky.
He is pig-headed, self-opinionated, goal-orientated and smart.

Don't like Bee-sting but he's good entertainment.
he is pig-headed, self-opinionated, agenda-orientated and smart.

These 2 working together could only ever end up this way.

Sticky had the perfect response to Goose's attack during the week.
He invited him to training.
He basically said, "Ok big mouth, I can't coach, you come down and show me how to do it. See if you can do it any better."

That put the ball in Goose's court.
He's opened his mouth, Sticky's aknowledged he needs some help and seeing as how Goose is the expert - show us what you've got.

Well played sticky. If Goose can't get 'em to win he's as bad as the bloke he's bagging.
Sticky even offered to pay him.

No way Goose is going to put himself in a situation where he'll look the Goose he is he came up with this rant.

Basically the facts are Goose had a 10 million team at the Rorters that Kerry packer put together with Politis that didn't come close to the salary cap. Obviously blokes were being paid in other means.

Goose, try as hard as he could - could not get them to the GF.

So he stood aside and put the all round good guy and everybodie's mate, Graham Murray in the job.

Murray got 'em to the GF. he also threatened to drop Fittler because he was unmotivated and lazy. Something Goose could not correct the year before. Murray's hard stance upset fittler. Murray's success garrotted goose. Murray was sacked and told, "Do not even bother turning up to the end of season awards dinner."

Enter the Stickman.

What does do?

He goes one better than better then Murray and wins the bleedin' GF.
With basically the same mob that goose had a couple of years before.

What does this do to Goose?
Well, we're seeing the results of that today.

Goose's agends is to bring Sticky down. Every opportunity he gets - Footy show, Roast, Newspaper column.

Observers will have noticed he was still bagging Murray last year when the Cowboys were struggling.
Murray did what NO OTHER coach had done in getting Illawarra Steelers to the semis. He's never coached a club that hasn'e made the semis. he's coached SOO. as mentioned he got the Rorters to the GF when Goose couldn't.

Sticky has done the same, but also coached Australia.

Jealousy pure and simple. sticky either lets the guy go or retaliate cosistently because Goose will not go away.

There is a lot of truth in that article. When sticky was coaching the Rorters the year after Fittler left they struggled. Craig Wing was going from half to bench to hooker. Finch wasn't guiding the team well and Soward and Firman and a handful of others were playing musical chairs. Sticky was struggling and the club slid down the table.

Goose was very prominent in the club and would attend training. Goose had very strong views about where Craig Wing and others should play.

Sticky told him to butt out - he was the coach and he would make selections. Gus left the club and devotes his time to media commitments. However, Sticky's days were numbered from that time on. goose's legend at the club has politi's ear.

Basically, he hates Sticky and blames him for having the balls to stand up to him.

Sticky obviously knows the truth and has no qualms repeating it to Goose.

True.
But Sticky also had the vision to see what these blokes could bring.
They were known as knuckle head back-rowers.
Who could know the genius of Cartwright as a coach?
Dean Pay made the rorters defence inpenetrable.

Sticky saw it and brought them with him from the Rorters/Dogs lower grades.

STFU then.

Sticky's a good bloke, I have man love for him

He's often his own worse enemy.
His passion cost him the OZ job.

This season must kill him.
He's been stuck with a half he didn't want for 2 years and rebuilt and bought with a certian style in mind.
The faster game this year and lack of points means he is making it up as he goes alongalmost weekly.
But it is getting there.

A few positional changes amongst the backs saw us rack up nearly 30 points on Friday.
We haven't had the same team 2 weeks in a row this year.

When it settles and we can consolidate - then it will come.
Consistency in positions sorts out attack and defence deficiencies.

Not a bad read S73 but the text in red bold is telling.

We shouldn't be in the position of making it up as we go. There's a huge coaching staff at the Sharks and for none of them to foresee the effect of the changes when just about all others have is poor. Very poor.

Special K

Coach
I had some friends at the roosters during the break down of Sticky and Gus and some of the stories (about the bickering between the two at the end) they tell are hilarious.

Hopefully this is the end of it in the papers though.

Gus is spot on, Ricky needs to get back to concentrating on the football.

Gus is correct we released some of the best players in the comp, it has come back to hurt.

If Ricky gets the spoon where does that put him in relationship to other shark coaches

RufusRex

Post Whore
was surfing around and came across this article by Gould

http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/write-and-wrong/2005/10/08/1128563035072.html

of special note was the following paragraph

For the record: I love the Roosters. Even if I leave them, and that day hasn't come yet, Nick Politis knows I will never work for another football club. I guaranteed him that a long time ago. I am committed to him for life. Nick, Ricky and I are great friends. The media will never come between us. Rothfield, Wilson and Hadley can choke on that!

Inferno

Coach
haha I think my favourite line is

Over the past two years I have backed right away from dealing with the players on a day-to-day basis because Ricky and the other coaches do such a great job. Ricky does not need anyone looking over his shoulder to coach a football team. He earned his autonomy years ago.

coolumsharkie

Referee

sharkadelic

Juniors
ITs sort of hard to look at this any deeper than what it quite obviously represents - The latest installment in a clash of two egotists that really dont like each other. There are a few valid points amongst the dross - and maybe Stuart didnt forsee the ref changes just like Sutherland Stuey didnt forsee the slowing down of the ruck destroying his masterplan. That similarity does not fill me with confidence. There a few points that I did find drolly amusing and I cant help comment on. The bias and stupidity in his remarks in the middle of this flaming are thinly veiled attacks that a blind man could see through and I must say - amused me greatly

icon1.gif

As for your childish comments I somehow cost you your position at the Roosters 18 months later, perhaps my lawyers should ask you to explain that rubbish in court. People are sick of your continually trying to rewrite history. These feeble attempts to erase the real factors behind your sacking and blame others for your demise are embarrassing. (This statement actually sounds suspiciously like a play directly out of Goulds book.)

Football clubs don't terminate coaching contracts lightly. Managements agonise over such decisions for months. History will show your team was underperforming and you'd lost the confidence of those who count. End of story.

Sure it hurts, but there's no shame in being sacked. We all get sacked. That's part of being a coach. (A small part, Phillip. The other part is winning. TRy and balance it a little better, Rick)

#Remember, Ricky, two coaches had to be sacked to provide employment for you at the Roosters and Sharks. (What sort of statement is that? As opposed to Assasination? Mailing them to Bosnia? Very few coaches step aside these days unless they are on the verge of the bullet anyway. Most are fired. Chalk up one for pretty obvious statement)

Stuart Raper must be scratching his head at why he was removed to make way for you, (I'm not. He sucked) given your current position on the premiership ladder. (If we stay in this current position, I am sure Sticks will be on borrowed time, but geez let him run his race. Calling for his sacking after 7 games in the midst of a huge injury crisis, multiple suspensions and the loss of 2 other first graders pre-season could be explained as "slightly mitigating circumstances". Its not how you start, its how you finish. And last year we finished near the top )Do you ever spare a thought for him? (Yes, actually. Everytime I see someone in a cheap suit, I chuckle)

It's time you stop this ridiculous charade of being hard done by. (You could be right)
Roosters management did you a favour terminating your contract. (Errrrr Yeah. Red makes you look jaundiced and all that money must have been stretching your wallet horribly) It provided you with a perfect opportunity to start afresh at another club and save your reputation. (Again grasping with your pudgy freckled fingers. Save his reputatuion as a premier ship winning coach? What a horrible burdn to carry. I do agree that Graham Murray did a lot of work building that team, but Stuart got it over the line in the position of coach. Fact. Deal with it. )Meanwhile, your replacement, Chris Anderson, had to come in and try to mop up the mess you left behind. (Hahahahaha. The only thing Ando had to mop up was the expectations all those supporters had from several Grand final appearances, something sadly beyond the reach of Andersons' abilities these days. Have the good grace to stay retired and make sure your son stays retired too. Shaun Wessels. Just awesome. )Sadly, the enormity of the task cost him his health (So that heart attack/bypass/whatever it was, was just a minor hiccup?)and his job. (Possibly correct. However, he was told he only had two years anyway, and the fact that he was fired to make way for Fittler, saved him a second class sea journey to sarajevo or being killed)

He noted the Sharks scored fewer tries than any other team last season. (But beat nearly all of them and defended better than most) He watched a weakened Melbourne beat the Sharks 26-0 (who were full strength missing their 2 fisrt pick 5/8's???Try Brisbane with out cutie and Lockyer) in the preliminary final last year. Only a week later, Manly thrashed the Storm 40-0. The Sea Eagles obviously knew how to attack them. He'd witnessed your Australian team, full of the most talented players in this country, lose the World Cup final on home soil to an under-strength New Zealand. (Cant argue that one - but I think even Bennett lost an international. And Anderson managed to win a few. Go figure. Maybe you should write a nasty open letter in the guise of benevolent helpness to the selectors? Or maybe at least fugg off and wait till the seasons over before mouthing off I told you so)

gunnamatta bay

Referee
I reckon ricky would be too quick
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,25389439-5016360,00.html
Gould and Stuart given fighting chance

By Nick Walshaw
April 27, 2009 12:00am

FORGET newspaper columns, radio rants or even a Sunday Roast debate ... because Phil Gould and Ricky Stuart are now being offered the chance to end their rivalry in a boxing ring.
Yep, Sport Confidential can reveal Sydney promoter Angelo Hyder is pursuing the two adversaries for a celebrity bout, convinced that the stoush would "outrate even Green versus Mundine".
But Hyder will have to move fast, with the organiser of the annual FOGS (Former Origin Greats) State of Origin boxing challenge also offering to put the warring coaches on their card at a June fundraiser.
"Gould versus Stuart ... mate, there would be no bigger grudge match in Australian boxing this year," Hyder trumpets. "We could stage four one-minute rounds, the ultimate battle of hate.
"You could even host this one in a phone box and sell tickets. Tie hands behind backs and only let 'em head-butt each other. I'd love to be the one making money off that gate."
A brief tale of the tape shows Gus conceding nine years and more than 100 first-grade games to his rival.
Newcastle legend Tony Butterfield is also organising an event on behalf of NSW FOGS and said last night: "Look, I don't really want to comment but ... well, if either of them gave me a call I think we could accommodate it."

Windy70

Juniors
He's like a 13 year old girl breaking up with her boyfriend with a letter to the editor. Childish wanker. Ignore him rick.

Haha.. he thought Ricky was the ants pants back then.

Someone should remind someone from the Telegraph about this article.

spider

Coach
rrex posted this little pearler in the main forum

http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/write-and-wrong/2005/10/08/1128563035072.html

Now the football is over, I'll respond to the rubbish reported about me lately.

Columnists such as Phil Rothfield, Rebecca Wilson and radio's Ray Hadley seem to have an obsession with discrediting me.

Their obsession is boring the pants off everybody.

I think Rothfield and Wilson place agendas and personal grievances above readers' needs for informative, accurate and unbiased reporting.

Rothfield has sledged me for more than a decade. His bitterness towards me has overtaken common sense and accuracy where my name is concerned. He is constantly wrong about me but that doesn't stop him backing up for another go. He has never contacted me to verify a story.

He once sent me an abusive email. My email response must have hit the mark because he's never written to me again. These days he's just spitting into the wind. Every time he opens his mouth about me it blows right back in his face.

As for Rebecca Wilson?

Ha, ha, ha. Sorry. I can't even say her name without laughing. She must be trying to emulate Rothfield because her gossip column bears a striking resemblance to his style.

Despite constantly writing about me over the years, she has never had the courage to contact me to verify a story. Her stories about me have been inaccurate, exaggerated, embellished and misrepresentative. As far as I am concerned, it has been a vindictive, deliberate and sustained campaign.

It's all become so boring and her credibility has suffered so much that she must be close to giving it away and allowing someone else to write that gossip column.

And Ray Hadley? He often delivers vindictive attacks on individuals, sometimes targeting their very livelihood. Don't take my word for it. Ask people such as Brian Smith, Paul Vautin, Peter Sterling, John Gibbs and Andrew Voss. He, too, has never had the courage to phone me to verify a story before shooting off his mouth. I wonder why?

Like Rothfield, Hadley is extremely thin-skinned. They dish it out but can't take it.

Recently this troika has targeted my role at the Roosters. They are up in arms that I didn't attend a couple of club functions. So what? What's it got to do with them anyway? By saying I didn't turn up they are suggesting I was expected to attend these occasions but didn't show. That's totally incorrect.

For the record: I've attended less than a handful of club functions in the past six years. I also don't attend Dally M awards, season launches, grand final breakfasts, book launches and cocktail parties. I gave up going to these dos when I retired from coaching six years ago.

They also thought they had a big story when they heard I was invited to talk to Dragons players at a dinner before their final against Wests Tigers. So bloody what? I'm invited to talk to many sporting bodies, teams, clubs, junior leagues, business seminars, individuals and charities. I do as many as I can.

Newcastle's Paul Harragon spoke to the Tigers. Gorden Tallis and Mark Geyer spoke to the Cowboys.

Footballers like to help each other. Rugby league is not like the media where people like Rothfield, Wilson and Hadley attack those who work for rival media organisations just for the sake of it. How childish is that?

For the record: I declined the Dragons dinner invitation. I have never addressed the Dragons coaches. I did agree to deliver a short talk to the players. It had nothing to do with coaching, tactics, game plans or Wests Tigers. I asked Nathan Brown what message he wanted emphasised and that was the message I delivered. He was spot on, too. I spoke for 10 minutes and left. End of story. Anyone suggesting different is a liar.

Their other scintillating story is that I've supposedly had a stink with Roosters coach Ricky Stuart. They say the Roosters are in crisis. Yeah right! This is a total misrepresentation. Our club and the Roosters fans do not deserve this rubbish.

For the record: I've never had a stink with anyone at the Roosters, let alone Ricky Stuart. Ricky and I are mates. He's a great coach. We argue and bag one another every day about football matters and have done since we met 13 years ago; but we enjoy it. It's healthy to have a difference of opinion.

Over the past two years I have backed right away from dealing with the players on a day-to-day basis because Ricky and the other coaches do such a great job. Ricky does not need anyone looking over his shoulder to coach a football team. He earned his autonomy years ago. These days I'm just a sounding-board for his ideas or anything else he wants to discuss.

The decision by Roosters chairman Nick Politis to introduce a new coaching system at the club four years ago has delivered great results.

For the record; Ricky Stuart and Nick Politis are the reason for our club's unprecedented recent success.

The Roosters have played in three grand finals. We won a first-grade premiership, World Club Challenge and three lower-grade premierships.

Last year we played in all three games on grand final day, winning two and coming within three points of winning the third. Last year's premier league coach Ivan Cleary has been appointed Warriors head coach. Assistant coach John Cartwright is to be head coach of the Gold Coast Titans. Our premier league coach, Shane Flanagan, is ready to coach first grade.

The Roosters coaching staff also assisted me in a three-year undefeated tenure as NSW State of Origin coach. Ricky Stuart is now the successful NSW coach and will be the next coach of Australia. I'd call that pretty successful.

For the record: I love the Roosters. Even if I leave them, and that day hasn't come yet, Nick Politis knows I will never work for another football club. I guaranteed him that a long time ago. I am committed to him for life. Nick, Ricky and I are great friends.

The media will never come between us. Rothfield, Wilson and Hadley can choke on that!
Sorry for this short break in transmission. My normal service will resume next week.
maybe ricky was hogging too much of nicks time and phil got jealous...

what ever happened - either way it taints gould as a liar - did he lie back then or now

Gould said:
Roosters management did you a favour terminating your contract. It provided you with a perfect opportunity to start afresh at another club and save your reputation. Meanwhile, your replacement, Chris Anderson, had to come in and try to mop up the mess you left behind. Sadly, the enormity of the task cost him his health and his job.

I think that's a bit low. Ando had heart problems for years before he went to the Roosters - in fact I think he had a big heart attack coaching the Kangaroos just prior to joining the Sharks. For Gus to try to pin Ando's health problems on Sticky is cheap, nasty and entirely typical of him.

I think that's a bit low. Ando had heart problems for years before he went to the Roosters - in fact I think he had a big heart attack coaching the Kangaroos just prior to joining the Sharks. For Gus to try to pin Ando's health problems on Sticky is cheap, nasty and entirely typical of him.

Ken oath Dean, Goose Gould showing his true colours once again.
Can someone do us all a favour and run Goose out of the Shire, he is giving us all a bad name.

Sticky please do not respond to this ugly, hacks delusional rantings.

spider

Coach
you're right dean - ando's health was not the best before hand

to draw a bow with an arrow such as that just goes to show the true sense of the bloke - an extremely low individual