What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Open letter from Shane Flannagan

Snoop Shark

First Grade
Im not reading too much into it(excuse the pun).

He just wants us to get there for the bunnies game and get behind the boys. This game has the potential to pull in a bigger crowd than any dragons game. Ive never seen a bunch of supporters be as cocky as ever like these rabbitoh supporters at the moment and believe me A LOT of these guys from my way(eastern suburbs) are coming to the game. This will be HUGE.

Not to mention the fact GI returns. Id be putting more security on for this game just quietly

Weaponhead

Coach
The letter is a fair enough marketing tactic. The club knows how fragile the supporter base is and how a few losses gets people expecting a capitulation.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Harrigan admitted on talkin sport that there were 3 errors.

Kick didn't go ten
Grant offside
Coote offside

R u sure newman?

here

excerpt

Referees co-coach Bill Harrigan answers your questions from Round 21 of the NRL Telstra Premiership.

Sharks v Panthers

Did the ball travel 10 metres in the final kick-off before full time ? explain the rule?

The referee made the right decision, the ball travelled 10 metres and crossed over the 40 metre line and then went into touch. To make things clear, all the ball needs to do is cross the plane of the 10 metres. Once it has done that, the ball is deemed to be in-play no matter where it finishes up.

For example, the ball could travel 10 metres and then be blown back 15 metres and it would still be deemed to be play-on.

In this instance the ball has crossed the plane, so it was rightly deemed play-on. It has then gone out in touch marginally over the 40 metre line, which means the referee rightly awarded the scrum feed to Penrith. It was a tight call, but they got it right.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Why is he even talking about a game which is 3 weeks away?

Shouldn't ALL the focus be on the Warriors game this week?

Then move on to the Knights game.

Then worry about marketting the Souths game. If the side doesn't perform well in the next 2 weeks a government style handout won't even get Sharks fans to the ground.

I think it's a weird "letter" to write. Smacks of not only desperation but also a lack of confidence.

Card Shark

Immortal
Definetely weird timing.

Would've been better to ask for supporters to make the trek to Newcastle as we need to counteract the knights crew & then back up for the Rabbits.

Since 73

First Grade
All fair points. My issue is with the people who seemed offended by Flanos letter. The general concensus was that he had no right to question why the crowd was low because we had lost a couple on the trot (despite 2012 having one of our best home records EVER). These same people will then turn around whenver something goes wrong and blame the NRL.
Who the fair fugg would get offended by Flanno's letter?
Get real.

Who the fugg is he?

I've followed this club for 40 years. Had my heart broken that many times it's numb.

Trained it from Newcastle to Central and out to wherever we played many weeks of the year for most seasons during my teens - getting home near midnight.

Some bloke with his track record casting a negative slight on any Shark supporter....? Fugg me.

No supporter in any sport anywhere in the world has copped what we've copped.

I don't need a letter - I need a premiership.

And Flanno needs a ghost writer.

M2D2

Bench
No letter is going to do what 2 victories could do, hell, not even a respectful performance would do better than 2 victories.
People whinging that we are a top 8 team and we shouldnt do those numbers.
But after that raiders game the writing was on the wall and the longer youve been a cronulla fan youve grown to understand that writing more and more each season.
This year has reminded me alot of 2006. top 4 possibility, then massive loosing streak.

wolverine

Juniors
No letter is going to do what 2 victories could do, hell, not even a respectful performance would do better than 2 victories.
But after that raiders game the writing was on the wall and the longer youve been a cronulla fan youve grown to understand that writing more and more each season.
This year has reminded me alot of 2006. top 4 possibility, then massive loosing streak.

Bingo

Frenzy.

Immortal
I'm in 46 years this year. I've had my rants on here many times. Not going to have one tonight

Suffice to say though the 2 quotes below are pretty much spot on AFAIC.

Who the fair fugg would get offended by Flanno's letter?
Get real.

Who the fugg is he?

I've followed this club for 40 years. Had my heart broken that many times it's numb.

Trained it from Newcastle to Central and out to wherever we played many weeks of the year for most seasons during my teens - getting home near midnight.

Some bloke with his track record casting a negative slight on any Shark supporter....? Fugg me.

No supporter in any sport anywhere in the world has copped what we've copped.

I don't need a letter - I need a premiership.

And Flanno needs a ghost writer.

^True

^True

Windy70

Juniors
I agree with many of these posts. We need to win.......fulstop.

This is just a pre emptive strike from Flanno for maximum effect and time for fans to organize to be there. What is wrong with that? A coach wants his team's supporters at the game.

We have done well this year but failed miserably the last few weeks. But that has not been 100% us. Yes these guys know how to play and should step up but they haven't, not quite,

Full strength we win those games, a couple of calls from the refs and we win the others as well. We are down players, have had calls go against us (surprise) and just no luck. Canberra should of been the wake up call and the Pennies, well.........see Tigers game.

When and if we get back to full strength we will find our feet and kick on.

We have a good side (most of it) and 2013 is looking shit hot.

This is a happy time for me. Go the Sharks.

M2D2

Bench
He can write it, we just dont have to agree with it.
If we dont win at least ONCE in the next 2 weeks. The souths game will be my final game for 2012 as they will be the team im going for in the finals as we wont be there and Souths are the family team.

Card Shark

Immortal
Hard to argue with the feelings of some above. I thought I was the only idiot who used to get the train from Newcastle area to Cronulla.

We simply have to win at least 1 of the next 2. Otherwise we are gunna have to win 2/3 all against top 4 teams. We can kiss the semis goodbye in this case.

If we consider ourselves a top 8 team, we should win both those games anyway.

Quigs

Immortal
Hard to argue with the feelings of some above. I thought I was the only idiot who used to get the train from Newcastle area to Cronulla..

Did you ride the 38 class.

Got two prints of the 38ers above my puter.

Since 73

First Grade
How many fuggin Sunday nights riding the red rattlers home and the call came over they were doing track work. Out at Wyong and onto a bus. Mostly in drizzling rain.

Gotta say it was a good pickup joint the Sunday night special to Newie.

carcharias

Immortal
Maybe the lazy merkins sitting at home watching it on fox only 10
Mins away should take a leaf out of your book.
Plenty of em
Probably on this here forum whinging about the coach .

Madsharkie

First Grade
I don't think Flanno's letter would be aimed at the die-hards that frequent here to be honest, don't take it personally!
Obviously a marketing ploy to get more numbers to the Souths game. I have to agree the timing is a little off though...

well flanno

maybe if the fans didnt have the well founded fear (me, aus etc) and knowing (newman) that the season was circling the drain adn we would tank at the end and miss the f**king finals. then maybe. just maybe more people would go.

this is the digital age. i can watch anything i like streamed from my PC straight to my TV.
a multitude of entertainment options abound.

all less heartbreaking than the sharks.

Win the games you are supposed to win
Defend
Do YOUR Job

and the fans will show up.

Latest posts