What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinions on James Roby

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
For me he was exxxxcellent, caused the Kiwis no end of problems and put in some great moves with his one handed scoops and his offloads. He looked like he'd played at that level all his career.

Lowey3

Juniors
I was Mates with James in School, played in the same Cowley High Rugby team and although he was a great player he was'nt a stand out at junior level. Infact his never represented England schoolboys.

However he's come on leaps and bounds, he really is a tough character. Only looks small but i have to see him go down on a one on one tackle. I takes 3 - 4 men get him down each time to complete the tackle.

No doubt he'll get no praise in the Media over there - he's British and plays for a ESL - the to**ers.

WJ

Juniors
Surley no one who plays in the ESL can be good?

The lack of respect the aussie media show us is disgusting.

Mark o meeley = merkin.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
He looks great!!!, a player that can cause any side problems.

Whats the bet GB drop him now lol

Is it me, or is Sean Long the Ronnie Irani of league, great at domestic, sh*thouse at International.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
WJ said:
The lack of respect the aussie media show us is disgusting.
:cry: :cry:

Cry me a river, when was the last time you won anything? To save you some time:

The Ashes - 1970
World Cup - 1972
Tri-Nations - Never

Win more than a one-off test and then you'll get some respect.

WJ

Juniors
Tiger Hawk said:
:cry: :cry:

Cry me a river, when was the last time you won anything? To save you some time:

The Ashes - 1970
World Cup - 1972
Tri-Nations - Never

Win more than a one-off test and then you'll get some respect.

That's not really the point.

Continually going on about how crap we are, and how superior the austrailian competition does nothing for promoting the international game does it.

No wonder the attendances are so sh*t.

Why would people turn out when in the lead up to games your media etc is saying ''super league is crap, full of fat players, gb are no competition'' yadda yadda it just undermines everything.

You aussies will be the death of the international game.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
You said the lack of respect the Aussie media show is disgusting. Why should they show GB any respect? They're Australian newspapers so of course they're going to be biased towards the Aussies (much like Stevo and the other tool are biased towards GB on Sky). When GB earn some respect, the media might begin writing some articles about the quality of the GB side.

And nobody needs to worry about Australian journos killing the international game, the inability of GB to form a competitive side for 35 years is taking care of that. We don't even have to mention the SL competition, the results of the national side are proof enough. And the fact that the GB media barely mention league in their publications is harming the international game more than the articles that are actually written on the sport.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
Ron Jeremy said:
He looks great!!!, a player that can cause any side problems.

Whats the bet GB drop him now lol

Is it me, or is Sean Long the Ronnie Irani of league, great at domestic, sh*thouse at International.

Thought Long had a decent game today. His kicking was good and he looked capable of breaking down the Kiwi defense.

With better 3/4 work in the first half the game could have been very different. Too many opportunities to apply the pressure and score or get a repeat set were ruined through going wide when there wasn't any space.

Bob8

Juniors
I think there is the issue that when the Aussies play soccer, they are given a fair go by the British media. That is besides the point, though. The British deserve to be acclaimed when we can clearly be the best and not until then.

We are still very far from even coming close to that level. When the difference between us being the best in the world or not is the ref's call, then we can complain until then we have to concentrate on our own game.

That means promoting the game in the UK and getting more people playing the sport.

ali

Bench
Well they are heading in the right direction, with RL teams now playing in nearly all counties. Many of these teams are starting junior sections.

I do believe that the poms are taking junior development far more seriously these days. I think the wake up call was the 97 WCC. The Richard Lewis regime has started national junior camps for elite players. Also, the best Super League clubs take their junior rep prgrams very seriously. Still I'd guess the poms are only producing half as many good players as we are.

eels_fan_01

Bench
Should be starting. Look 100 times better than Terry Newton. GB with a different side with him on the field.

phonetic

Juniors
Roby was the one player who impressed me most out of the poms. Plenty of spark, and the go forward seemed to go up a notch when he was on the field.

Hopefully he can bring his A game to the SFS next week too. I'm not sure about starting him, as I think part of the reason he was so effective is because he came on after 20 mins or so.

JJ

Immortal
Roby looked pretty good - but some of the "big names" looked pretty sh*t

nqboy

First Grade
I was only a casual observer (I couldn't even be farked noticing how many points Gleeson and Carney blew according to some on here) but I noticed Roby. Didn't watch close enough to see whether he can tackle but he's certainly lively with the ball.

Long was just as I remember him, strutting around the place like a superstar and trying to look blameless when everything he touched turned to sh*t. He's not up to NRL standard and if he's the best you've got then you have problems. I was impressed with O'Laughlin and have been before. I'm not sure why so many pommie fans are down on him. Pryce was excellent again, you've got to find a way to get him closer to the action.

And why wasn't Micky Higham picked? Injured? Lost form? I thought he had a go last year and had a bit to offer, which is more than I would say about plenty of your players.

Lowey3

Juniors
nqboy said:
I was only a casual observer (I couldn't even be farked noticing how many points Gleeson and Carney blew according to some on here) but I noticed Roby. Didn't watch close enough to see whether he can tackle but he's certainly lively with the ball.

Long was just as I remember him, strutting around the place like a superstar and trying to look blameless when everything he touched turned to sh*t. He's not up to NRL standard and if he's the best you've got then you have problems. I was impressed with O'Laughlin and have been before. I'm not sure why so many pommie fans are down on him. Pryce was excellent again, you've got to find a way to get him closer to the action.

And why wasn't Micky Higham picked? Injured? Lost form? I thought he had a go last year and had a bit to offer, which is more than I would say about plenty of your players.

James Robt was picked ahead of Higham, both similiar players. Roby is the better player.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
O'Loughlin... god I thought he was crap....

SO many times I would see his tackling style.... jumping up in the air and grabbing the opponents collar..

If I was the GB coach, I'd drop him there.

Latest posts