What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Orara Sevens

Couldn't get there again - next year for sure - but have heard a few results.

Most notably Japan managed a 16-all draw with Armidale. That's a great result for the Samurais. I'm pretty sure they've never won a game so a draw is their best result so far. Armidale were running late so they only just got there before the game, which wouldn't have helped, but they're still a handy side. Armidale still went on to win the pool after beating Woolgoolga.
Windsor look to be one of the teams to beat after winning its pool. Guyra also went through in that pool.
That's about all I know, although I think the Sydney Bulls also got through.
Unfortunately I don't know how the other international sides are going, but at least Japan can take something out of the trip. Plus there is a Plate competition this year so teams that don't make the Cup finals still get another game or two.

Anyone know any other results, feel free to post them.

Mr_Ugly

Juniors
http://www.thenational.com.pg/012407/sports3.htm

The National said:
Sports POMRL Vipers ready for sevens outing in Sydney

COACH Adrian Genolagani is confident the Port Moresby Vipers team to the Orara Valley Axeman Sevens tournament in Sydney, Australia, this weekend should finish in the top brackets.
The tournament will start on Saturday and the finals will be held on Sunday.
He said the team were blended with youth with a lot of experience at high level competition such as SP Cup, Port Moresby premier competition, the Southern Regional Nines and AJ Micro Finance Nines tournament.
Genolagani is banking of the experiences of skipper Charlie Wabo, Jessie Joe, Gimapau Keimelo and Ricky Sibiya to lead the boys.
After seven weeks of intensive training, Genolagani is very confident of making the final three.
The tournament is growing bigger and better each year, with spectator growing from 15,000 in the inaugural year to 20,000 by last year.
There would be 40 teams will be taking part including international sides, who will be battling for a record A$22,000 in prize money.
This year’s tournament will feature two-time defending champions Lebanon, last year’s runners-up Fiji Bati, last year’s crowd favourites Japan, 2005 runners-up Maltese Knights and two NRL clubs – Gold Coast Titans and South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Wow, I didn't know the Vipers were at Orara. That makes them the first PNG team I think. Didn't even know the Vipers still existed to be honest, thought they were replaced by the new SP Cup clubs like.

roopy

Referee
I was at the first day - would have stayed for the second but got terrible sunburn as usual.

A few thoughts.

Malta are on fire. Three good wins on day one and looked to be cruising.

Fiji Bati looked fit and skilled, but they nearly went down in game one to an Aboriginal side named North West Bears who looked a fantastic combination.

Armidale were late - but they started the game late for them and they had no excuses. Japan were heroic in defence and got their sh*t together in attack finally - after being destroyed by Malta 84-0 two days earlier. Japan had a Coffs based coach putting them through drills for an hour before the game, which was the first game of the day.

Lebanon went down to the Orara Valley Axemen 18-14 in their first game. The Axemen looked like they were primed for a good performance this year and maybe had a few ringins because the whole squad looked good.

Cook Islands looked very good this year but again failed to produce the results.

All in all I thought the standard of play was much higher this year with the smaller country sides of the previous years being replaced by sides from Qld, Port Moresby and Sydney.

I have lots of pics which i will put up in the next few days. I also have pics of the Malta v Japan and Fiji v Cook Islands games.

Utey

Coach
Go Malta!!! Sounds like the boys are going great, hope this form continues.

ali

Bench
Mr_Ugly said:
Originally Posted by The National

Sports POMRL Vipers ready for sevens outing in Sydney

COACH Adrian Genolagani is confident the Port Moresby Vipers team to the Orara Valley Axeman Sevens tournament in Sydney, Australia, this weekend should finish in the top brackets.
The tournament will start on Saturday and the finals will be held on Sunday.
He said the team were blended with youth with a lot of experience at high level competition such as SP Cup, Port Moresby premier competition, the Southern Regional Nines and AJ Micro Finance Nines tournament.
Genolagani is banking of the experiences of skipper Charlie Wabo, Jessie Joe, Gimapau Keimelo and Ricky Sibiya to lead the boys.
After seven weeks of intensive training, Genolagani is very confident of making the final three.
The tournament is growing bigger and better each year, with spectator growing from 15,000 in the inaugural year to 20,000 by last year.
There would be 40 teams will be taking part including international sides, who will be battling for a record A$22,000 in prize money.
This year’s tournament will feature two-time defending champions Lebanon, last year’s runners-up Fiji Bati, last year’s crowd favourites Japan, 2005 runners-up Maltese Knights and two NRL clubs – Gold Coast Titans and South Sydney Rabbitohs.

I'd expect they will go really well. Ricky Sibiya was great at the last world sevens.

Lebanon knocked Malta out early today. The Sydney Bulls were looking the goods apparently. They made the semis. Windsor were also good. But I didn't hear who won it in the end.

roopy

Referee
The underperformers are the Bati - they look fantastic every year - and they would make better use of the prizemoney than anyone else'.

roopy

Referee
Japan v Armidale

orara07027.jpg

roopy

Referee
the problem with taking these pics at 8.2 megapixels is they take ages to upload - i will try to get one pic of each international side up tonight.

Latest posts