What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Orara Sevens

roopy

Referee
orara07002.jpg

Japan and their coach going through drills before the kick off of game one.

brendothejet

First Grade
Man I love the japanese team.

They come out of nowhere every year, get punished, come back for more.

These guys need more games.

freeridermx

Juniors
so who won there is nothing bout the comp this year last there was heaps of news but didnt matter as i was there last year but could this year and havent heard sh*t all bout the comp . any news would be great
thanks

Heritage XIII

Juniors
I drove down from Brissie again this year and had a great time with the Japanese team. My partner scored a Japanese cap from the No. 7 (Gin).

Speaking with the team, there was a mix of experienced & inexperienced players. Some are playing league in Sydney at uni level, their was one playing league in the UK, others playing in the local comp, and the others play union (no. 7 for example played with Kobe Steel), & one plays American Football. All are keen to continue their league experience.

I think the Orara Vvalley concept is great but they seriosly have to put cover on the stands. It is too hot sitting in the sun all day and despite plying buckets of sunscreen (kindly donated by the cancer council) I still returned to Brissie sore & sorry!

I think the comp may have reached its peak and may fall away a bit from next year on. The reports I've heard from one of the Country teams is that the dynamics of the crowd have changed for the worse. This particular club, which has been going since the first year, said they won't be going back after being spat on and abused. The organisers need to make some changes. I think making it only for international sides and legitimiate clubs affiliated to the CRL, NSWRL or QRL might help things.

roopy

Referee
East Coast Tiger said:
I think the comp may have reached its peak and may fall away a bit from next year on. The reports I've heard from one of the Country teams is that the dynamics of the crowd have changed for the worse. This particular club, which has been going since the first year, said they won't be going back after being spat on and abused. The organisers need to make some changes. I think making it only for international sides and legitimiate clubs affiliated to the CRL, NSWRL or QRL might help things.
well Malta had about 50 fans who just seemed to all be fantastic people - although when one idiot started calling 'come on the Mediterranean Descendants' i thought the malta fans could turn nasty.

The crowd was down a lot - but i didn't see any agro and they had dry areas and a limit on grog sales.

The other thing that was very positive was the standard of play seems to have risen a lot. In the first year there were a lot of local sides who looked very ordinary, but now you have Qld cup sides, aboriginal regional rep sides, jim beam cup and even lower grade NRL sides as well as the usual suspects like Malta, Lebanon and Fiji who all seem to play better each year.

roopy

Referee
One thing I have noticed is that the drop off in the crowd has pretty much been all the anglo people.
The first year the crowd was about 90% anglo and maybe 20,000 over the two days.

This year i'd say the crowd was 2/3 aboriginal and maybe only 5000 over the two days if the second day crowd was about the same as the first.

screeny

Bench
roopy said:
well Malta had about 50 fans who just seemed to all be fantastic people - although when one idiot started calling 'come on the Mediterranean Descendants' i thought the malta fans could turn nasty.

The crowd was down a lot - but i didn't see any agro and they had dry areas and a limit on grog sales.

The other thing that was very positive was the standard of play seems to have risen a lot. In the first year there were a lot of local sides who looked very ordinary, but now you have Qld cup sides, aboriginal regional rep sides, jim beam cup and even lower grade NRL sides as well as the usual suspects like Malta, Lebanon and Fiji who all seem to play better each year.

In England someone who said that would either be arrested on the spot or severely rebuked by other citizens. You just can't get away with racist comments in public any more.

Isn't this the case in Australia?

roopy said:
One thing I have noticed is that the drop off in the crowd has pretty much been all the anglo people.
The first year the crowd was about 90% anglo and maybe 20,000 over the two days.

This year i'd say the crowd was 2/3 aboriginal and maybe only 5000 over the two days if the second day crowd was about the same as the first.
Exactly

roopy

Referee
screeny said:
In England someone who said that would either be arrested on the spot or severely rebuked by other citizens. You just can't get away with racist comments in public any more.

Isn't this the case in Australia?
The word 'Mediterranean Descendant' means very different things in the two countries. In England it is an extreme insult, but in Aus it is little worse than calling someone a pom. I have a Serbian mate who is blonde, blue eyed etc, and everyone calls him Alex the Mediterranean Descendant - and he calls himself that as well.

otag

Juniors
unless it was taken in the wrong context, the word Mediterranean Descendant shouldnt be taken the wrong way in australia.

roopy, did the maltese fans react?

roopy

Referee
otag said:
unless it was taken in the wrong context, the word Mediterranean Descendant shouldnt be taken the wrong way in australia.

roopy, did the maltese fans react?
I was sitting right in the middle of the Maltese fans, and i think i reacted more than any of them. I spun around to see who had said it, but all the Malta fans did was a few said 'yeah, come on the Mediterranean Descendants' in an ironic sort of way.