What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ORCAS

dimitri

First Grade
my first question is what is an orca?

ok

the nzrl has contacted the nrl about establishing a 2nd team, known as the wellington or southern orcas, claiming the idea has the backing of a belgian billionaire
the team would be up against the gold coast and central coast for an nrl spot

If i was the nrl id be trying to renegotiate the tv rights so that we get what we deserve

then once we have extra cash, from tv, from sponosrs and wherever else

we should let all 3 of them in

all 3 teams have billionaire backers

and all 3 teams could be very successful

i know in 1995 we let in 4 teams

and 2 of them were kicked out

but these 3 teams all have the potential and all have the backers

so come on nrl

get the money

and hurry this along

this is a huge opportunity for rugby league

dimitri

First Grade
does anyone know if the nzrl will have anything to do with the club

because they are the ones who contacted the nrl about establishing a 2nd team

ali

Bench
We shouldn't bring in all 3 at the same time. Otherwise they will have years of struggle ahead of them as they wont be able to all get as good a crack at the player market as they could by themselves. I'd have Wellington 2005, Gold Coast 2006, and if necessary Central Coast 2007, but I still stink we don't need another NRL team around Sydney.

Surely with the success of the Warriors and if a new Kiwi team was to join the League, we could get more money out of Sky NZ. Does anyone know when the contract with Sky NZ runs out?

Special K

Coach
I would love to see all 3 teams in and I think we will see them in over time. But I also think each club should have to give up a player that has played a certain amount of games to help these new teams and that these new teams should have higher salary caps. Melbourne should also have a higher Salary Cap...

Tupac Shakur

First Grade
It would be great for Rugby League to enter 3 more teams into the NRL especially a Central Coast team.. :)

Raider_69

Post Whore
Hulkamanic 36 said:
I would love to see all 3 teams in and I think we will see them in over time. But I also think each club should have to give up a player that has played a certain amount of games to help these new teams and that these new teams should have higher salary caps. Melbourne should also have a higher Salary Cap...

i dont think teams should have to, rather a volentry draft, i.e say you have one year left on your contract you can seek a release form the NRL rather than the club to join the new team..... forceing teams to give up players would create a team of unhappy players

dimitri

First Grade
We shouldn't bring in all 3 at the same time. Otherwise they will have years of struggle ahead of them as they wont be able to all get as good a crack at the player market as they could by themselves. I'd have Wellington 2005, Gold Coast 2006, and if necessary Central Coast 2007, but I still stink we don't need another NRL team around Sydney.

i agree totally

Special K

Coach
Raider_69 said:
Hulkamanic 36 said:

i dont think teams should have to, rather a volentry draft, i.e say you have one year left on your contract you can seek a release form the NRL rather than the club to join the new team..... forceing teams to give up players would create a team of unhappy players
Players would do that any way as they do it now. But if each club had to give up a player that has played say 30 first grade games then it would help these new teams a lot as they would be also able to add these blokes to their jnrs and players they sign.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Hulkamanic 36 said:
Raider_69 said:
Hulkamanic 36 said:

Players would do that any way as they do it now. But if each club had to give up a player that has played say 30 first grade games then it would help these new teams a lot as they would be also able to add these blokes to their jnrs and players they sign.

but then say joe bloggs has played 31 games for his childhood favourite team, he is then given the shaft by his club and also is told who he would play for....... if i were joe bloggs i would be pretty pissed off

and rookie draft with draft handicaps would be much more feasible IMO, new teams or teams with no junoir base i.e melbourne would gain a handicap to ensure they stay strong

Raider_69

Post Whore
dimitri said:
havent drafts been deemed illegal by the courts??????

:? :? :?

umm i think mandatory drafts have but what Rookie wouldnt put themselves in a draft at hopes they may acheive their dreams?

The AFL use a draft system quite effectivly

Special K

Coach
Raider_69 said:
Hulkamanic 36 said:
Raider_69 said:
Hulkamanic 36 said:

but then say joe bloggs has played 31 games for his childhood favourite team, he is then given the shaft by his club and also is told who he would play for....... if i were joe bloggs i would be pretty pissed off

and rookie draft with draft handicaps would be much more feasible IMO, new teams or teams with no junoir base i.e melbourne would gain a handicap to ensure they stay strong
Super League teams did it, didn't they?

and as for the rookie draft I don't know about that. Say newcastle(or any club this is a hypothetical) have Joey, Robbie o and say a 2nd rower go down with injuries. Now if this rookie draft was in place would this mean they couldn't use their gun jnr aus reps who play half, fullback and 2nd row? It would cause so much bitching with clubs. Or would these rookies not be in a NRL club area? :? And if they were that good why wouldn't clubs signed them up before hand?

A trade system would be cool. With struggling clubs selling players or trading them, but I doubt the players would let that happen.

Te Kaha

First Grade
ali said:
Surely with the success of the Warriors and if a new Kiwi team was to join the League, we could get more money out of Sky NZ. Does anyone know when the contract with Sky NZ runs out?

Doubtful, The market is two small for a bidding war. Sky's bid was far and away greater than any other. Even the FTA rights on-sold from Sky only raised a minor ripple when TV 3 pulled out and prime outbid TVNZ.

Besides Sky bids for the NRL not the Warriors.

t-ba

Post Whore
Call them Moa's. of all the Creatures humans have wiped out, a two story tall flightlesss bird that could kill a human with ease needs to be an NRL mascot!

t-ba the hutt said:
Call them Moa's. of all the Creatures humans have wiped out, a two story tall flightlesss bird that could kill a human with ease needs to be an NRL mascot!

lol very true

Latest posts