What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ORCAS

dimitri

First Grade
i think

wellington moas has a nice ring to it

but i think wellington orcas sounds better

dimitri

First Grade
i dont think

wellington killer whales -has the same ring to it

as wellington orcas

i really like it

When the Warriors were accepted into the comp there was a franchise in Wellington being planned too, but they were turned down. They were gonna be called the Wellington Dolphins.

dimitri

First Grade
yeah i knew about the dolphins

but i think the orcas is also much better than 'dolphins'

dimitri said:
my first question is what is an orca?
orcas6.jpg

orcas7.jpg

Bengal

Juniors
If or when NZ gets another team they'd be absolutely nuts to have the name Wellington in it and even more idiotic to have the scummy word Orcas following it.

What bl**dy kid is ever going to want to be a bloody big fat fish for crying out loud!
A Shark sure, a Hurricane why not, a Warrior for sure but an Orca - get off!

A Southern Mako now thats better (albiet stolen from Ironman).

Wellington is not a city that endears itself to Kiwis.

Southern something or rather now thats the go!

This way the South Island plus just about everybody south of Lake Taupo will have some sort of affinity with this team.

I can see it now South v North (Warriors) instant local derby!

Tidus_Raider

Bench
Bengal said:
If or when NZ gets another team they'd be absolutely nuts to have the name Wellington in it and even more idiotic to have the scummy word Orcas following it.

What bl**dy kid is ever going to want to be a bloody big fat fish for crying out loud!

This way the South Island plus just about everybody south of Lake Taupo will have some sort of affinity with this team.

I disagree. At least with the "southern" thing. IMO to be a successful club you need to have an area with strong ties to the club. That's why I think the AFL is so successful. Because it was established as a suburban league. Clubs like Collingwood and Essendon have strong ties with there suburbs. With the name wellington hopefully the people of wellington will get behing their side and support them. What does the name "The Bulldogs" represent? If your a kid growing up in canterbury and knew nothing about league how would you know that the bulldogs represent your area? This doesn't only apply to the dogs. Other clubs have and still do give horrible names. What kind of name was South Queensland, Western reds (why not just perth for gods sake), Northern Eagles even North Queensland? Why not just Townsville cowboys?

The Orca aint so bad. I can think of one potential sponsor. Free Willy anyone.... :lol: :lol:

Bengal said:

first things first an orca is a mammal not a fish.
I do agree with the southern rather than wellington because southern would make me fell like its involvin cities in my area of the contry eg Dunedin and Invercargill.Personally i would base the team in christchurch because it is the 2nd strongest league twon in new zealand , the christchurch team recently won the bartercard cup.

Bengal

Juniors
Tidus_Raider said:
Bengal said:

I disagree. At least with the "southern" thing. IMO to be a successful club you need to have an area with strong ties to the club. That's why I think the AFL is so successful. Because it was established as a suburban league. Clubs like Collingwood and Essendon have strong ties with there suburbs. With the name wellington hopefully the people of wellington will get behing their side and support them. What does the name "The Bulldogs" represent? If your a kid growing up in canterbury and knew nothing about league how would you know that the bulldogs represent your area? This doesn't only apply to the dogs. Other clubs have and still do give horrible names. What kind of name was South Queensland, Western reds (why not just perth for gods sake), Northern Eagles even North Queensland? Why not just Townsville cowboys?

The Orca aint so bad. I can think of one potential sponsor. Free Willy anyone.... :lol: :lol:

I’m only guessing but the amount of people involved in League in Wellington (not including the good folk across the harbour, Wanui, Hutt Valley etc) would only run in the hundreds!

There is no real tradition, grass roots or support for Rugby League in Wellington certainly not at the level required to support an NRL team. Hence the need to rope in as much surrounding support for this venture as possible hence the name Southern.
People in Wellington are well used to supporting teams minus the Wellington tag e.g. the very successful Hurricanes so going with the Southern or non-Wellington tag isn’t a big deal.

I’ve never being a fan of teams like Cronulla, Canterbury and Easts ditching their traditional names. As far as I’m concerned it makes it easier to get rid of these teams (should such a horrible event occur). These teams had thrown away their tradition so I wouldn’t have given ‘jack’ for them if they had come in the firing in days gone by.

I have no idea why the Cowboys or the Reds didn’t go under the name of their respective cities?

But what I do know is that there is not enough support in Wellington alone to run a successful NRL footie team, not unless of course the Billionaire covers the shortfalls.

Jellyfish, blubber guts, beached whales, free the welly-fan :lol: I can see some of the headlines already (negative ones that is).

Bengal

Juniors
southern warrior said:
Bengal said:

first things first an orca is a mammal not a fish.
I do agree with the southern rather than wellington because southern would make me fell like its involvin cities in my area of the contry eg Dunedin and Invercargill.Personally i would base the team in christchurch because it is the 2nd strongest league twon in new zealand , the christchurch team recently won the bartercard cup.

As far as whether an Orca is a mammal or a fish the average kiddie wouldn't give too hoots.

A team in Christchurch well that's fairyland stuff!
The second strongest League town in NZ.
Lets put that in perspective.

I read an article no more than two days ago (might've even been a post from here) which went along the lines of a father dropping his son off or going along to watch his son play first grade League in Auckland.
Anyway the father was shooked to see a guy playing in his sons team who was playing when he was playing.
And way back then, they weren't even playing in first grade.

To want a team in the NRL based on the fact that it is the second strongest League town in NZ is farcical.

How many of those guys would make a Metro cup team?

Even leaving the 'standard ' of player in Christchurch aside.

How much support do you think a Christchurch based team would get every second week?

You'd be lucky to hit break even point (12,000+) consistently

Oh should I even bother to ask what level of corporate support there would be for this team. Enough to meet NRL standards do you think?

Bengal

Juniors
incredible_holc said:
well sharkies are back to the Cronulla Sharks now

the way it should be

That is true, something I'm really happy about as well.

But I was referring to a few years ago and back then when they went by the name of just the Sharks I didn't give two hoots for them.

San Hose, Natal there were plenty of other Sharks teams out there. They just became one of the crowd back then.

In-goal

Bench
I think tha tplenty of reseach needs to be done before deciding were a 2nd Kiwi franchise will be, more matches need to be played around the country to see which city will offer League just that little bit more.