What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Orford to Parra for 1 year??

Just surfing the net and there seems to be alot of speculation that Matt Orfords contract negotiations have broken down and that he will come to Parra for 1 year.

As long as we dont lose the talent of the Likes Of Tim Smith over this then it will be right with me. Orford could be good for Tim Smith as he can show him the ropes for a year.

What does everyone else think??

Get orford and let Tim Smith devolop in 1st div for another year?? Or Stuff Orford off and get Tim prepared for next year as our half back??

Eels Dude

Coach
If a one year contract with Orford costs us the carreer of Tim Smith i'd have to doubt my support of the club. I think Tim would be ready for first grade by next year, and with several other clubs wanting to snap him up we should give him that oppurtunity. I don't want a player at our club who isn't committed. Orford is just in it for the money unfortunately.

How many times have we signed a halfback for one year and have it backfire. Jason Taylor? Andrew McFadden? Paul Green? Taylor worked but probably stuffed as up long term. It's something done before, and hopefully not again.

eelsta

Bench
no thanks what a waste of money lets resign the up and comers not some money hungry player who will up and leave as soon as cc comes in forget it

eloquentEEL

First Grade
Orford's game is very well suited to what Parra is trying to do this year, re: the 2 locks... that's why he works so well with Scott Hill. I think he could fit in quite well at Parra, but not sure how it would work with Dykes in the picture. Probably Orford in 7 and Dykes in 6, but mostly with Parra playing it down the centre of the field and both of them as first receiver, on either side of the ruck.

No reason T.Smith couldn't play off the bench if he's good enough.

Also, what happens if Orford signs a 1 year deal with Parra and CC doesn't get a franchise? Orford would have to play at his best for his next contract, and who knows, he may even like it enough to stay longer term.

HAVEFAITHBOYS

Juniors
if this is true then as i saw "phillips" once wrote in a canterbury post on el masri...

my other thread has back fired on me #-o :lol:

but just wondering jake where are u getting this infomation from??

what are peoples thoughts on a dykes / orford pairing?

eels_fan

First Grade
The NRL is supposed to announce this month the future of the 16th team franchise...so Orford should know by June 30 if the Central Coast will be in the comp in 2006...so that will bear a lot of waiting on his decision. I'd sign him, if it is set in contract that it is a three or four year contract which he can only leave in the case of the Central Coast gaining entry into the comp. eg..he can only play for parra or the central coast (kinda like Jamie Lyons arrangement with Wee Waa)

Eddie.

Bench
I reckon Parra should take the punt on him

I reckon the GC will get the nod anyway, if so it would be an awesome signing, wouls improve your team a heap

And even if it is only for one year, look what Jason taylor did in one year..

Eels Dude

Coach
Eddie. said:
And even if it is only for one year, look what Jason taylor did in one year..

And what did he do after that?

We lost PJ Marsh for a start.

A short term solution is not the answer.

PJ Marshal

Coach
I dont think a one year deal is good! why sign a player of his quality for a year? defeats the purpose i think, youd want to build a team around him!

bartman

Immortal
$500,000 is a lot of money for one year of a contract. I'm not sure I'd bank that much on one key player, rather add that to a pool of cash for signing a few decent players.

And then you've got to ask is Orford in that $500,000 class of key player? I don't think so. At least not for 2005 alone. Offer Orford $300-350K/season with clauses and see if he takes it. Any higher, and I'd argue he's taking us... to the cleaners. :roll:

GoParra

Juniors
bartman said:
$500,000 is a lot of money for one year of a contract. I'm not sure I'd bank that much on one key player, rather add that to a pool of cash for signing a few decent players.

And then you've got to ask is Orford in that $500,000 class of key player? I don't think so. At least not for 2005 alone. Offer Orford $300-350K/season with clauses and see if he takes it. Any higher, and I'd argue he's taking us... to the cleaners. :roll:

Spot on, as Meatloaf says "you took the words right outta my mouth"

Earl

Coach
bartman said:

He won't be taking 300 - 350.

He turned down the Melbourne offer which was remarkably higher than that.

I hope he ends up with out a club :)

Pazza

First Grade
I'd be putting large contracts on the table for Ruben Wiki and Timana Tahu.

Latest posts