What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ORIGIN 1 - GAME DAY THREAD

Weaponhead

Coach
McInnes, while disappointed, will take it in his stride. Nicho, however, is cooked I reckon.
Yes. This is the huge risk. Hynes was stuffed last season. This season, he got the shot in his preferred position and whilst there was the significant mitigation of the send off, he didn't own the moment. His kicking was not good enough and he he didn't sort the defence out on his edge. That was a big ask but it is the burden of wanting to be the man.

His first 25 mins against the Phins was ordinary. He lacked intensity in defence and his kicking wasn't strong enough.

The Sharks need him to get himself together and lead the team to get back to the early season standards. They have made a strong start to the season and have a real opportunity to slay some demons in the finals.

Quigs

Immortal
Just digressing for one moment. Did anyone watch this arvos Knights Pennies game.

I chuckled to myself when right at the beginning of the game the young Knights fullback scored the great solo try. The first bloke he blitzed was Luai. Luai just grabbed at the back of his jersey and was at sixers and sevens.

Commentators: "He just slipped under Jame's attempted tackle"

I thought to 'meself' just imagine if that was Nicho that made that attempt to tackle and how the miss resulted in a try.

They'd be going on about it right up until halftime.

Generalzod

Immortal
In a way I’m glad that no Sharks player was included in the team, cause if the NSW team losers again, i Wonder who these supporters going to blame this time?

R-15-3

Bench
Think Nicho will be disappointed but relieved at the same time no more thinking about what if he f**ks up and the weight on his shoulders would have lifted. 2 bye over the next few weeks to have him fresh as a daisy for the run home.

bluefox68

Staff member
The QLD team after hearing that Connor Watson is playing:

BWAHAHAHAAHHHAAAAA…!!!!!!!

toomuchsoup

Juniors
Be stuffed banning Madge from Shark Park. I reckon we should ban our goose of a ground announcer from Shark Park.

Watching the game on Mr Kayo and then hear that stupid .... "Sharkieze, Sharkieze..... Sharkieze." blaring over the ground speakers is soooo far can embarrassing.
Absolutely embarrassing. It’s such a stereotypical ‘sports’ chant. Very uncreative

If Nicho was a qlder and got picked with Munster out, Slater would have plan for him DCE would work for him.
NSW it's like your in team and if we lose we blame you.
McInness was no where near worst he gets dropped, he will just run harder next sharks game.
No API or Stefo I think that's Madge still annoyed being sacked.
Burton dropped as 18th man, that is because dogs complained
Latrell in team, how about players in position I hope QLD pumps us and Latrell and Luai stink the joint up.
And Jurbo plays like 10 minutes

Chimp

Bench
On the face of it, I actually think these changes make sense - if Moses and Murray had been fit for game 1, neither Nicho nor Cam would have been picked.

Nicho or Moses - Moses is the more traditional 7, miles better kicking game, so it makes sense. Nicho even at his best is not a traditional 7, he’s erratic and I’d say there’s a fair argument that in a rep team with limited prep, it’s easier for a team to gel around a traditional 7. So a fair call.

Cam or Murray - Murray over Cam is probably a fair call. I actually prefer our Cam, and whilst I like Murray, I don’t think he’s anywhere near as good as the media make him out to be. I’d be more included to drop Yeo and keep Cam, but then you’ve got 2 smaller forwards.

I have a bigger issue with some other selections and the wider make up of the team.

Watson - not a clue why he’s suddenly been talked up in the media (presumably he got matey with M Johns whilst at Newcastle). But once he was being talked up, he was in…. And he’s average at best - playing ok, but absolute cannon fodder at Origin level.

Luai - the errors and missed tackles in his game appear to be completely ignored by the media

The pigs - we only have Haas and Spencer as genuine pigs. Yes Haas is near on 80 minutes, but Spencer is 20….. Bench should be 3 big boppers and then a Sifa type bloke who can play middle, edge, centre.

Hooker - Robson over Api is an abomination. Api is lights out the best available hooker, but also then provides halves cover if something happens in game, as Murray/McInnes (if selected) can cover 9.

Of all the Sharkies, Sifa is the one who’s unlucky in my opinion - he’d be my 14 every time.

Peach & Apricot

Juniors
I don't think Hynes should have been picked but he has been treated pretty badly. Think about it:

1. Fittler picks him as a bench utility without a plan to actually use him. Then throws him on at centre out of position and they clearly haven't trained for that contingency and then gets blamed for losing the game because of 1 missed tackle.

2. Hynes was clearly not fit for Game 1 due to his calf issue. Yet he gets picked anyway and Madge ignores the 'all players must train from day 1 policy' to include Hynes.

3. Sualii gets sent off and NSW play with 12 men for 70+ minutes. Hynes then gets scapegoated for this loss.

bluefox68

Staff member
Just focus on getting healthy and confident for a Sharks Finals run…

I’ll always support NSW, but it’s like supporting Wests Tigers - you expect the wooden spoon every year.

DJDL

Bench
Absolutely embarrassing. It’s such a stereotypical ‘sports’ chant. Very uncreative

Word.

I remember when I first moved to the UK I was discussing with work mates about the singing that goes on in the EPL.

Knowing I was an NRL fan, they asked me what kind of chants we have.

I replied "My team is the Sharks, so we all chant 'Sharkies, clap-clap-clap, Sharkies, clap-clap-clap'"
I then told them our mortal enemies are the St George Illawarra Dargons, whose fans chant "Dargons, clap-clap-clap, Dargons, clap-clap-clap"
And on I went for the rest of the comp.

They were gobsmacked.

Word.

I remember when I first moved to the UK I was discussing with work mates about the singing that goes on in the EPL.

Knowing I was an NRL fan, they asked me what kind of chants we have.

I replied "My team is the Sharks, so we all chant 'Sharkies, clap-clap-clap, Sharkies, clap-clap-clap'"
I then told them our mortal enemies are the St George Illawarra Dargons, whose fans chant "Dargons, clap-clap-clap, Dargons, clap-clap-clap"
And on I went for the rest of the comp.

They were gobsmacked.
Back in the 98-99 Ashes series I was drinking at the Bat and Ball with some Barmy Armies. We were giving each other light hearted shit and then they asked me the same line of questions.
I told them the Sharks, they asked what colour, I said predominantly blue.
Within 20 seconds they started singing

WE'RE BLUE,
WE'RE HARD,
WE'LL KICK YOUR F*%KIN ARSE.
WE'RE THE SHARKS,
WE'RE THE SHARKS!

Obviously it was a chant that was already from somewhere else but I knew no wiser.
I told them it was better than anything I'd heard for Cronulla

oh except "Stevie Rogers walks on water, tralalala lalalala"

Back in the 98-99 Ashes series I was drinking at the Bat and Ball with some Barmy Armies. We were giving each other light hearted shit and then they asked me the same line of questions.

WE'RE BLUE,
WE'RE HARD,
WE'RE THE SHARKS,
WE'RE THE SHARKS!

Obviously it was a chant that was already from somewhere else but I knew no wiser.

Mate, I remember going to games and chanting that one. Also, the old "Steve Rogers is God" or whatever it was, banner.

f**k I'm an old merkin.

shadowboxer

First Grade

WE'RE BLUE,
WE'RE HARD,
WE'RE THE SHARKS,
WE'RE THE SHARKS!

You’d be cancelled down at the swamp for that one. It is too clever for most as well.
Management would probally rather the pre-recorded sharkies chat at 11 volume.

Latest posts