What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Origin 2013 NSW side

BennyV

Referee
Merrin & Fifita should be certainties, and Woods would be pretty bloody unlucky to miss out. It's going to be an outstanding pack if Daley actually picks the right blokes, with a cracking back-line (as long as there's no Merritt). B. Moz might be a late inclusion v Penrith tomorrow night so hopefully the Brothers Neckless can run riot in game one

Daley will split them up again - B.Moz will be on the left with Jennings, Fergo will be on the right outside J.Moz...seriously, it's not difficult is it...PUT THE NEAR-TELEPATHICALLY CONNECTING TWIN BROTHERS TOGETHER!!!

jimmee007

Juniors
i would just like to see gidley replaced with another prop possibly Tim Grant and start Lewis from the bench if there is a requirement to cover any injury

Keffola

Juniors
pls F**K No kurt gidley.

Theres a reason why we went so much better last year..... and that was because of no f**ken captain of the bench kurt gidley.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Gidley outside, that's a pretty handy side Vic has named.. what's your source Viccy?

Brandy and John Gibbs named it on sports today. They said barring injury/suspension that will be the team. Alexander is close with Daley and Gibbs with Fulton so id trust them.

They said the only slight change could be gidley for a forward but didn't name anyone.

Keffola

Juniors
Daley will split them up again - B.Moz will be on the left with Jennings, Fergo will be on the right outside J.Moz...seriously, it's not difficult is it...PUT THE NEAR-TELEPATHICALLY CONNECTING TWIN BROTHERS TOGETHER!!!

Have them swap shirts mid game and it'll confuse the cr@p outta everyone too!

big hit!

Bench
I don't get the hate with Gallen playing prop, if anything he is better there, that way he doesn't interfere with the ball playing which he is terrible at imo. As long as they play him reasonable minutes (40-50) it'll be perfect

he defends in the middle. not a big difference between the way a middle forward and prop plays there.

but in attack, he has to be adept at bending the line and getting the defence going backwards. that's what a prop does. Gallen is undersized to consistently do this as well as shoulder the load in the middle of defence..........and in origin.

Gallen plays as a small forward. he runs to the line, looks for holes in the line, looks to offload before or at the line, that's his normal game. But so 'he doesn't interfere with the ball playing' or to fit other players in (and that is to fit Merrin into this squad), we're going into one of the most important positions in a football team with an undersized, bit part option when NSW have real prop forwards to take on this role.

and if you believe Gallen will only play 40-50 mins, then your're in la la land. Pandering to individual players egos is yet another mistake NSW make and will end up ruining NSW chances.

If Merrin is considered to be the better option as a small forward, then go with him without weakening another part of the team. If it means leaving Gal out or on the bench, so be it. But all of Watmough, Merrin & Gal should not be in this squad. To do so, Daley has to weaken other areas, like Stuart did. If you go small, it's imperative to win the completed set count. It's the only way that you have a chance of to win the trench battle, otherwise the smaller pack will end up being dominated by bigger bodies from too much defending. Stuart went with this gameplan, NSW did not win enough of the ball and QLD forwards eventually wore down the NSW mobile pack in the crucial 50-70 min period of games.

big hit!

Bench
Apparently this is going to be the team:

1. Hayne
2. Morris
3. Morris
4. Jennings
5. Ferguson
6. Maloney
7. Pearce
8. Gallen
9. Farah
10. Tamou
11. Hoffman
12. Bird
13. Lewis

14. Gidley
15. Watmough
16. Merrin
17. Fifita

so only two fair dinkum props. we deserve to lose.

if the inside word is this is the selected team, then the starting formation is Hoffman on the left where he plays at Melbourne, Lewis on the right and Bird shifts into the middle. So that's Gal, Tamou, Bird & Farah vs (probable) Scott, Shillo, Myles & Smith. QLD are bigger. The only other prop injection in there is Fifita. Watmough will get a run in there but he's yet again a smaller option. The use of Merrin is up for debate. Could be another prop, could be the the Bird replacement as the smaller middle forward.

Talk of NSW being mobile and taking advantage of QLD's tiring bigger forwards can only succeed if NSW can complete more sets. In addition, QLD actually use their bench effectively. They rotate their middle forwards off the bench keep them fresh. NSW in recent times historically don't. They keep Gallen in there for most or all of the game.

Gidley? can only be used effectively if there's an injury.

too many ball players in this squad and it limits their individual effectiveness. not enough blokes who can actually muscle up and win the war of attrition when the chips are down.

Daley has looked at the probable QLD team, realise that they're two front line props down on last year, and is banking that Stuart's strategy will finally succeed against the QLD weaker link.

NSW need an error-free and foul-free game for it work.

Tyko7

Juniors
Just a few questions guys..

Do you select a Josh Morris who I am pretty sure hasn't scored a try since last season or do you select an inform Blake Ferguson and put him in his preferred position at centre?

Can Ferguson play well on the wing?

Hutty1986

Immortal

I think you're right mate. They would be f*cking dynamite together on the same side but it won't happen

kickback

Juniors
Just a thought but why is Mason not up there? He has been killing it at the knights this season, he is also a big game player, has experience in origin and is a leader on the field. Don't think NSW have won a series since he was there!

Our boys will be loving this team. ha ha Gidley just don't get it with this muppet

big hit!

Bench
Just a thought but why is Mason not up there? He has been killing it at the knights this season, he is also a big game player, has experience in origin and is a leader on the field. Don't think NSW have won a series since he was there!

Our boys will be loving this team. ha ha Gidley just don't get it with this muppet

i don't disagree with you. I'd rather go with Mason at prop than Gal.

I think (based on Vic's post) Daley is going for continuity in terms of the game plan Stuart had last season. Afterall, Daley was there wasn't he? If this is the case, I think continuity should really extend to the halves too, but it looks as though he may have punted Carney for Maloney. I think this club combination BS is really just that. Halves from the same club side aren't really going to be successful because of their combination, but more because of their support crew. The Roosters forwards are only second to Souths in the way they have been dominating the opposition this season.

I'm hoping that there is a plan for Gidley rather than just a contingency. The latter is a poor approach to selecting a squad because if the cause of those contingencies don't eventuate then there is a player sitting on the bench who isn't going to be effectively contributing to the team.

chrisD

Coach
Hayne
Morris
Morris
Jennings
Ferguson
Carney
Pearce
Gallen
Farah
Tamou
Hoffman
Bird
Merrin

Woods/Fifita
Mason/Gidley
Watmough
Lewis

big hit!

Bench
Just a few questions guys..

Do you select a Josh Morris who I am pretty sure hasn't scored a try since last season or do you select an inform Blake Ferguson and put him in his preferred position at centre?

Can Ferguson play well on the wing?

J Moz gets a crack at the Tigers this round, so Loz may justify his inclusion on a season break out performance tonight. Given the revolving door the Tigers defence was last week, I think it means squat.

J Moz and the other Bulldogs backs have been less effective than last year because Kasiano and Graham have also been out for most of this year. I constantly go back to it, the go forward has to be provided in the middle from the big blokes for the others to look half decent. Kasiano and Graham make a big difference to that Bulldogs middle rotation and that fortunes of the team.

To answer your Q though, I would go for Fergo at RC ahead of J Moz if there was another Origin calibre option for RW. Uate & Merritt have weaknesses, B Moz & Gordon have injury concerns, and Tafua is a young bloke who has played almost exclusively LW at Manly.

It could very much end up looking like J Moz @ RC; Fergo @ RW with Jennings @ LC; B Morris/Gordon @ LW.

MacDougall

First Grade
J Moz gets a crack at the Tigers this round, so Loz may justify his inclusion on a season break out performance tonight. Given the revolving door the Tigers defence was last week, I think it means squat.

J Moz and the other Bulldogs backs have been less effective than last year because Kasiano and Graham have also been out for most of this year. I constantly go back to it, the go forward has to be provided in the middle from the big blokes for the others to look half decent. Kasiano and Graham make a big difference to that Bulldogs middle rotation and that fortunes of the team.

To answer your Q though, I would go for Fergo at RC ahead of J Moz if there was another Origin calibre option for RW. Uate & Merritt have weaknesses, B Moz & Gordon have injury concerns, and Tafua is a young bloke who has played almost exclusively LW at Manly.

It could very much end up looking like J Moz @ RC; Fergo @ RW with Jennings @ LC; B Morris/Gordon @ LW.

The Bulldogs aren't playing the Tigers this week.