What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Origin 3 sold out

Green Machine

First Grade
LESStar58 said:
It's called fear. Plain and simple! Sydney fears that Melbourne will take their trophy off them and Melbourne and the AFL fears that the Storm will move in and take a decent chunk of their market!

It’s about two things; The Super League War and trying to justify why Super League was wrong and they were right. From the haters of Rugby League, knocking Rugby League expanding outside NSW and QLD is a way of them justifying their attacks on the game. That’s it in a nutshell,

Its being held at a top-notch venue - Testradome is an awesome stadium. Comparing that with Olympic Park is like comparing Jennifer Hawkins to Miss Piggy.

Once the Storm have decent facilities, and increased marketing emphasis - they will come. All the major AFL sides now have top venues they play at, most of them ditching their homegrounds for the MCG, Telstradome etc etc - because the old venues were stuck in the stone age - as is Olympic Park (no offence to Storm Fans).

And yes - I do know that they used Telstradome some years back with limited success - but the marketing at the time was negligable.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
If league were to get a decent share of the market the corporate dollar will follow this is the reason AFL fears league and soccer to. These are the only two sports that have a potential to eat into their corporate sponsorships.

Surandy

Bench
LESStar58 said:
We get no promotion on TV. Even the ads for Storm and Origin 3 are relegated to late at night when, not so long ago, they were on in prime time on the evening news.

Sorry mate but I have to correct you on this one. I saw the Storm ad for the Raiders match this Sunday on Channel Nein's 6pm news, was the first ad before the sports part iirc on Tuesday this week. It was the theatre one. Alas, poor Yorrick...UGH!

Surandy

Bench
Bring back John Fifita said:
Its being held at a top-notch venue - Testradome is an awesome stadium. Comparing that with Olympic Park is like comparing Jennifer Hawkins to Miss Piggy.

Once the Storm have decent facilities, and increased marketing emphasis - they will come. All the major AFL sides now have top venues they play at, most of them ditching their homegrounds for the MCG, Telstradome etc etc - because the old venues were stuck in the stone age - as is Olympic Park (no offence to Storm Fans).

And yes - I do know that they used Telstradome some years back with limited success - but the marketing at the time was negligable.

No offence taken, the only good thing about Olympic Park is that we've won the last 10 in a row there. :D

On the Storm's use of Telstra Dome (or Colonial Stadium as it was then called) in 2001, the deal was pretty sh*t. The team only were allowed to train on the ground a couple of times for the entire season due to the crappy surface not getting enough sunlight due to poor design. The atmosphere was severely lacking compared to OP. OP has a good atmosphere with small crowds whereas TD needs 30k plus for a good atmosphere from my experiences. The best game at TD was against the Broncos when the seats were moved in for the game and the crowd was up close to the playing surface, as Rugby League should be viewed!!!

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
(1) Give me a good reason why they shouldn't make standing room tickets available?
(2) Are they playing with the roof closed or open?

It is possible league could obtain the ground record attendence over AFL. Then we could engrave it on a plaque and hang it above the urinals.

Hoops

Juniors
LESStar58 said:
Of course it barely rates! Nobody stays up that late!
That didn't stop nearly 600,000 in Melbourne staying up to watch the socceroos on Monday night for a 11:00pm kick-off.

it is only on late because the fella in charge of programming, Len Downes, has an anti-RL agenda and the excuse he ALWAYS offers up is that RL doesn't rate in Melbourne, particuarly with the female audience.

I don't know how he expalins the 450K people who watched the GF last year or the 300K odd that watched the decider that was on at 9:30 last year. ;-)
There is no consipracy:roll: The cutthroat industry of commercial television, means that the people in charge will program what will give them maximum ratings. sporting alleginaces are put aside it's about maximising viewers or its their head on the chopping block.

I firmly beleive that we were shut out by the media in Melbourne after our premiership in 1999. The holier than thou attitde of the melbourne media wankers is that how dare a foreign code take away press from our precious AFL.
That's crap, all forms of media jumped on the Storm bandwagon. AFL has been put behind the World Cup in the past few weeks, with soccer getting back page most if not all this week and even front page coverage

We get no promotion on TV. Even the ads for Storm and Origin 3 are relegated to late at night when, not so long ago, they were on in prime time on the evening news.
I wouldn't be surprised if the "you can't aviod Rugby League ads were the most played ads on C9 even in Prime Time. not to mention the daily, yes daily ads in the Herald Sun.

It's called fear. Plain and simple! Sydney fears that Melbourne will take their trophy off them and Melbourne and the AFL fears that the Storm will move in and take a decent chunk of their market!
No-one fears about RL in Melbourne, even the people running the AFL has claimed thet soccer is the biggest threat in this city, but RL never gets a mention.

Stop trying to blame someone or something else for the coverage of RL in this city, The Herald-Sun has at least a page each day on the NRL and the Storm which is token coverage due to the lack of interest for the sport here, Yes I know SoO 3 sold out, but in this fair-minded city that was always going to be the case.

Calixte

First Grade
Hoops said:
That didn't stop nearly 600,000 in Melbourne staying up to watch the socceroos on Monday night for a 11:00pm kick-off.

There is no consipracy:roll: The cutthroat industry of commercial television, means that the people in charge will program what will give them maximum ratings. sporting alleginaces are put aside it's about maximising viewers or its their head on the chopping block.

That's crap, all forms of media jumped on the Storm bandwagon. AFL has been put behind the World Cup in the past few weeks, with soccer getting back page most if not all this week and even front page coverage

I wouldn't be surprised if the "you can't aviod Rugby League ads were the most played ads on C9 even in Prime Time. not to mention the daily, yes daily ads in the Herald Sun.

No-one fears about RL in Melbourne, even the people running the AFL has claimed thet soccer is the biggest threat in this city, but RL never gets a mention.

Stop trying to blame someone or something else for the coverage of RL in this city, The Herald-Sun has at least a page each day on the NRL and the Storm which is token coverage due to the lack of interest for the sport here, Yes I know SoO 3 sold out, but in this fair-minded city that was always going to be the case.

So when RL gets those figures (600,000) for the NRL Grand Final in Melbourne it means nothing whereas for soccer it is some sort of breakthrough? (Even allowing for the late kick-off in the soccer, it was the Socceroos biggest game ever...)

It must really hurt that the game has sold out, huh Hoops? And three weeks out too. :lol:

If Nine Melbourne give the game a chance re- coverage, the third match will rate very, very well in Melbourne.

Hindyscrack

Bench
Hoops,

One of Australia's biggest ever sporting moments was always going to rate at the 11pm time slot... I dare say it would be a record audience for its time slot...

Paullyboy

Coach
He is right though, soccer is a much bigger threat than rugby league ever will be in Victoria. They are a state brought up on non-contact sports and soccer will be right down their ally.

Hoops

Juniors
Calixte said:
So when RL gets those figures (600,000) for the NRL Grand Final in Melbourne it means nothing whereas for soccer it is some sort of breakthrough? (Even allowing for the late kick-off in the soccer, it was the Socceroos biggest game ever...)
I'm yet to see the NRL get 600,000 even for primetime in Melbourne. But because the NRL GF get's an average audience,- yes 500,000 odd for C9 on a sunday in that time-slot is average, then why shouldn't they show the NRL GF, thats why the NRL decided to go for prime-time coverage of their GF in the first place to maximise viewers.

It must really hurt that the game has sold out, huh Hoops? And three weeks out too. :lol:
no its good, it might put an end to most of you guys on here claiming that we are insular and not willing to give other sports a go, we always turn out for events. but in the end you guys just say what ever suits your argument at the time.

If Nine Melbourne give the game a chance re- coverage, the third match will rate very, very well in Melbourne.
and for that reason, along with the hype building around the game, then I think that the people from C9 in Melbourne will show it live, like I said it's all about ratings, sorry to dissapoint their is no conspiracy

Calixte

First Grade
Nice rabbit on, Hoops.

The NRL GF peaked at around 600,000 in Melbourne from memory.

You wish you could tell us how there were plenty of tickets left for SOO III. Shame about that. :lol:

Your media is remarkably insular when it comes to rugby league.

Try comparing the coverage in Brisbane and Sydney for AFL and the coverage for RL in Melbourne. And yet Melbourne has hosted a crowd of nearly 90,000 for RL. Unfortunately, neither Brisbane or Sydney have ever had an AFL crowd near this size.

Your arguments are flimsy and wrong. Back to bigfooty.com for you...

Hoops

Juniors
hoops said:
but in the end you guys just say what ever suits your argument at the time.
exhibit A
Calixte said:
Try comparing the coverage in Brisbane and Sydney for AFL and the coverage for RL in Melbourne. And yet Melbourne has hosted a crowd of nearly 90,000 for RL. Unfortunately, neither Brisbane or Sydney have ever had an AFL crowd near this size.

stormman

Juniors
Hindyscrack said:
Hoops,

One of Australia's biggest ever sporting moments was always going to rate at the 11pm time slot... I dare say it would be a record audience for its time slot...

I belive it is the 2nd highest ever rated show(1st is The Dream with Roy and HG) in Melboune at the 11pm period.

It beats the last time State of origin was on at 11pm, which is last year.

I think hoops need to listen on SEN, The ammount of Complaints regarding the fuddy duddies match and wanting the State of Origin. Even Fox Footy Commentators wanted it on Live.

robbieando

Juniors
I think hoops need to listen on SEN, The ammount of Complaints regarding the fuddy duddies match and wanting the State of Origin. Even Fox Footy Commentators wanted it on Live.

500,000 watched the fuddy duddies match which is more than would of watched Origin in Melbourne if Channel 9 had decided to show that. Hence why Channel 9 went with the fuddy duddies match.

stormman

Juniors
robbieando said:
500,000 watched the fuddy duddies match which is more than would of watched Origin in Melbourne if Channel 9 had decided to show that. Hence why Channel 9 went with the fuddy duddies match.

Have you listened to SEN?

mind you, i am speaking to a BigFooty Troll.

We had Hoops now you.

LESStar58

Referee

Look, while I'm glad that the Socceroos are in the world cup....soccer in 2006 is what rugby union was in 2003. Once the WC is over the stats quo will resume and nobody will give a toss about the A leage and go back to their "first" code. The Socceroos? Yes. The European Leagues? More than likely. The A-league? Same or lesser interest.

That's crap, all forms of media jumped on the Storm bandwagon

yeah they did....but how long did that last?

LESStar58

Referee
Calixte said:
Nice rabbit on, Hoops.

The NRL GF peaked at around 600,000 in Melbourne from memory.

You wish you could tell us how there were plenty of tickets left for SOO III. Shame about that. :lol:

Your media is remarkably insular when it comes to rugby league.

Your arguments are flimsy and wrong. Back to bigfooty.com for you...

If memory serves around 700K watched the 1999 decider.

Latest posts