What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

origin

Slippery Morris

First Grade
The way that NSW selection pick their halves really makes no sense. They give Pearce ANOTHER chance and Hodkinson is playing like crap but still gets picked. Why couldn't Soward be given another chance? Last year he was brilliant for Penrith and this year proved what an impact he has had to the side as when he has not played they have struggled big time. He has had 2 games under his belt and is looking like continuing his good from from last year. He was no way near as bad as Pearce to not get a 2nd chance? I am pretty sure he played a big part in a game NSW won when he played setting up the winning try to Mini.

As for Hodkinson, Josh Reynolds has stood out more than Hodkinson same with Mbaye. What game is Laurie watching? QLD must be laughing big time at the squad. Great pack but nothing to support them if they make the yards.

Blake Austin, Alex Johnson, Frizell should have been picked for sure on form. One thing we learnt is City v Country is a waste of time and has no bearing on selection. We say this every year and honestly when it comes to that game people believe that they are auditioning for a spot in NSW? The selectors have devalued that game big time.

tumbidragon

First Grade
Friz got his call up into camp. Happy for him, he's been enormous this season. How he didn't make the original 17 I don't know..

Friz got his call up into camp. Happy for him, he's been enormous this season. How he didn't make the original 17 I don't know..

Little disappointed that Thompson didn't get the call up as well as we have the bye this week thought he really earned it also, but it's great friz has got this little taste I have a feeling we are going to see him go to another level

denis preston

First Grade
Has everyone forgotten what made QLD strong by not making too many changes ?

Also has anyone considered that their stars are one year older and looked suspect against a big Kiwi side ?

As someone said , the hitup metres that Gallen & Bird were taking was from a lot of hitups that didn't necessary hurt their opposition.Perhaps the NSW big boppers picked will.

RED73V

Juniors
The way that NSW selection pick their halves really makes no sense. They give Pearce ANOTHER chance and Hodkinson is playing like crap but still gets picked. Why couldn't Soward be given another chance? Last year he was brilliant for Penrith and this year proved what an impact he has had to the side as when he has not played they have struggled big time. He has had 2 games under his belt and is looking like continuing his good from from last year. He was no way near as bad as Pearce to not get a 2nd chance? I am pretty sure he played a big part in a game NSW won when he played setting up the winning try to Mini.

As for Hodkinson, Josh Reynolds has stood out more than Hodkinson same with Mbaye. What game is Laurie watching? QLD must be laughing big time at the squad. Great pack but nothing to support them if they make the yards.

Blake Austin, Alex Johnson, Frizell should have been picked for sure on form. One thing we learnt is City v Country is a waste of time and has no bearing on selection. We say this every year and honestly when it comes to that game people believe that they are auditioning for a spot in NSW? The selectors have devalued that game big time.

Slippery Morris what are you thinking , best thing we ever did was get rid of Soward . He recently had a back operation they say they couldn't find his backbone . The bloke DOES NOT take the line on EVER . The only time he runs the ball is when no one is in front of him . He would be a serious liability in SOO all the big boppers would be running straight at him knowing his defence is ordinary & also all the tackling he would do or lack there of would suck the petrol out of him . Widdop is ten times better than Soward & I'm so glad Soward was shown the exit so we could buy Widdop :crazy::)

Hutty1986

Immortal
Slippery Morris what are you thinking , best thing we ever did was get rid of Soward . He recently had a back operation they say they couldn't find his backbone . The bloke DOES NOT take the line on EVER . The only time he runs the ball is when no one is in front of him . He would be a serious liability in SOO all the big boppers would be running straight at him knowing his defence is ordinary & also all the tackling he would do or lack there of would suck the petrol out of him . Widdop is ten times better than Soward & I'm so glad Soward was shown the exit so we could buy Widdop :crazy::)

lol, what a load of horseshit, 5 year-old horse shit to be accurate. Soward's defence has been fine for a few years now and he's easily one of the best two halves in NSW. He won NSW the game in game 2 2011 & it's a joke he hasn't been given another chance when oxygen thieves like Mythchell have.

And I'm sure Penny fans would argue Soward's been a better buy for them than Widdop's been for us, and on the whole they'd probably be right.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Another Price f$&ck up.

Soward would of been a great halfback, and cheaper than widdop/Marshall. And who's to say that we still couldn't buy widdop or Marshall even if Soward did stay? Old news now, both parties have moved on.

BlackDuckSaint

Juniors
Another Price f$&ck up.

Soward would of been a great halfback, and cheaper than widdop/Marshall. And who's to say that we still couldn't buy widdop or Marshall even if Soward did stay? Old news now, both parties have moved on.

As much as I loved Soward when we played under Bennett. His ability to control field position was unparalleled, that is a fact. I don't care what anyone thinks, we won the premiership and 2 minor premierships off the back of his boot.

But, I am much more excited about Widdop and Marshall... I watched NRL 360 on Tuesday and Marshall was talking about how their partnership was evolving since the start of the year, pretty much all their pre-season stuff was thrown away, controling 1 side of the field each wasn't working. He said, because Dugan is a running fullback they had to adapt, so depending on which side of the field they ran the ball, the other would link around and play the modern day full back link position. It is a really intelligent solution, especially when you have the added bonus of Dugan being a threat with his hard running game. I think we saw the culmination of that against the Raiders and it will only get better. The Dragons halves are revolutionising the way the spine could work. I'm sorry but anyone not seriously excited about that doesn't like footy...

Rant over

Bent Shooter

RED73V

Juniors
lol, what a load of horseshit, 5 year-old horse shit to be accurate. Soward's defence has been fine for a few years now and he's easily one of the best two halves in NSW. He won NSW the game in game 2 2011 & it's a joke he hasn't been given another chance when oxygen thieves like Mythchell have.

And I'm sure Penny fans would argue Soward's been a better buy for them than Widdop's been for us, and on the whole they'd probably be right.

I'll grant Soward that he does have a good kicking game that's for sure but that's it !! He was & still would be Greg inglis's speed hump & BTW Soward was made to look better than he actually was because we had a bloke by the name of Darius Boyd playing as a second 5/8 & Beau Scott protecting his little arse . Stats speak for themselves to that is why he HASNT BEEN PICKED SINCE HAHA :lol::lol::lol:

Como Connection

First Grade
I'll grant Soward that he does have a good kicking game that's for sure but that's it !! He was & still would be Greg inglis's speed hump & BTW Soward was made to look better than he actually was because we had a bloke by the name of Darius Boyd playing as a second 5/8 & Beau Scott protecting his little arse . Stats speak for themselves to that is why he HASNT BEEN PICKED SINCE HAHA :lol::lol::lol:

Agree 100% with this comment

Wait, what? We're talking about St George legend and hero of 2010 Jamie Soward? The Jamie Soward whose field goal wins us the semi? The Jamie Soward whose inch perfect kick set up our first try in the Grand Final? That Jamie Soward?

Who else are we going to bag out in the thread? Lord Ted because he went to Newtown? Rocket Reddy because he went to the Steelers? Norm Provan because he coached the Scum? Nathan Fien because we were too stupid to sign a halfback in 2012?

There have been a lot of clowns who've played at this club and not been fit to wear the jersey and plenty who've f****d us over and deserve our undying contempt. Pile right on to Bronko D'Jura, Shoeboxhead Robinson, Michael O'Connor and Tallis. But every bloke in that 2010 Grand Final winning side has a free pass for life and is honoured in the red and white pantheon for eternity.

Feel free to act like a rock star Jamie. You are one.

The Nick

Bench
Wait, what? We're talking about St George legend and hero of 2010 Jamie Soward? The Jamie Soward whose field goal wins us the semi? The Jamie Soward whose inch perfect kick set up our first try in the Grand Final? That Jamie Soward?

Who else are we going to bag out in the thread? Lord Ted because he went to Newtown? Rocket Reddy because he went to the Steelers? Norm Provan because he coached the Scum? Nathan Fien because we were too stupid to sign a halfback in 2012?

There have been a lot of clowns who've played at this club and not been fit to wear the jersey and plenty who've f****d us over and deserve our undying contempt. Pile right on to Bronko D'Jura, Shoeboxhead Robinson, Michael O'Connor and Tallis. But every bloke in that 2010 Grand Final winning side has a free pass for life and is honoured in the red and white pantheon for eternity.

LOL Craig Young gets hammered from pillar to post here, Ben Hornby copped it non-stop the year after he lifted the premiership trophy.... Being a club legend gives you zero immunity from these keyboard coaches.

Dragon_psa

First Grade

:clap:
Well said.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors

Agree about scott, but in 2009 Boyd was an average player with zero passing game. And we still finished minor premiers. Boyd only learned how to pass the ball during the off season leading up to 2010.

since77

Juniors

Well said Dr Fruitbasket. Not to mention the play he put on to get us back in the game in the grand final qualifier. Tigers had shut him down with a great game plan all night and he took the one and only half chance they gave him to set up that break down the right side that led to the try to level us up.
I still think he's the best 5/8 eligible for NSW, not that he'd get picked.

LOL Craig Young gets hammered from pillar to post here, Ben Hornby copped it non-stop the year after he lifted the premiership trophy.... Being a club legend gives you zero immunity from these keyboard coaches.

Some people have short memories don't they?

I'm off work this week and have been swanning around the house in my Dragons supporters sweat pants, top and beanie, and giving my Dragons stubby cooler a real good workout. The cooler is well worn now, but on it I can still read;

"Most points in a game for the Dragons = Jamie Soward - 22 points in 2007". And;

"Most points in a season = Jamie Soward - 234 points - 12 tries - 90 goals & 6 field goals".

Lest we forget.

BennyV

Referee
Sowie would be a brilliant choice for NSW. The guy can direct the team around, control field position and create try scoring opportunities. On top of that, he is one of the most underrated big-game players around - if saints were tied up in the dying minutes of a finals game, he'd be the 1 player I wish we had, cause hes got proven ability to finish it off under pressure time and time again.

The fact that he was barely considered is ridiculous.

FlameThrower

Bench
God help The Blues, we are up against a very stable QLD team and our NSW Blues look a bit band aid solution???

Latest posts