What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT : Beer

carcharias

Immortal
I am a bit of a beer lover.

My go is to head up to Dan Murhpys on a friday arvo get a 30 pack of new cans and then grab half a dozen single beers from the imported/boutique section.
Of the ''weird beers'' I have come across a few crackers.

An Indian one called Kingfisher is quite good.
Kokokein (spelling?) is a canadian one that is very easy to drink.
I tried an Aussie one called Milson or Milford desert ale...absolute cracker.
Leather Jacket is anothe good aussie one that has just come out.
Lord nelson Brewery have also just put out one of their best tappies out in a bottle, I think it is the famous 3 sheets...I will have to confirm.

anyone else got any tips?

PJ

First Grade
THere was a limited release beer from the Malt SHovel called the Great White Shark or something along those lines.

It was a great summer beer.

I like Hoeegarden which is a Belgian I think, but again a summer beer. You can get it on tap at a few places.

Kingfisher is great as you said and there is a Chinese beer called Tsing Tao which I also really enjoy.

Another one I really like is Sol, for mine it is way better than Corona

newman

First Grade
Hey Carch, its Kokanee. And its like VB in the western states of Canada.

Another great Canadian beer worth checking out is Alexander Keiths from Nova Scotia if you can get your hands on it. Great stuff. Its a Pilsener.

Ive been getting some great bargains from La Nita in the Nulla. $10 six packs of Holsten (while not the best beer in the world, very drinkable and heaps cheaper than the local equivalent). They also do cases of Becks for $39.00

McLovin

Staff member
It's either Coronas or Crownies for me. I just cant drink anything off tap, absolutely hate it...

edit: another i hate and cant get down without a pipe are Heineken. Tastes like rubber and nearly spewed as it touched my mouth for the first time...

sharknows

Bench
Some of my favs
Carlsberg - best European Beer
Asahi - Japan
Kingfisher - agree with carch
Steinlager - NZ
Coopers Pale Ale best of the Aussies.

But nothing in a bottle can beat draft beer - VB or Carlton for me

Surely

Post Whore
MC84 said:
It's either Coronas or Crownies for me. I just cant drink anything off tap, absolutely hate it...

edit: another i hate and cant get down without a pipe are Heineken. Tastes like rubber and nearly spewed as it touched my mouth for the first time...

I love heineken, put it on tap for myself, stubbies were costing to much, i also like steinlager.

I absolutly cant stand corona or crown lager, so there u go :)

Funny thing about Steinlager is the Kiwis seem to hate it, its the NZ equivilant of Fosters, I like it, but my fav at the moment of the mass produced beers is Tooheys Pils.

newman

First Grade
Asahi is one of the best beers in the world. Strange that it is a mass produced giant out of Asia.

I dont know how you cant like Corona. Sure, its hard to get through more than six or seven without feeling sick, but on a hot day, a couple of ice cold Coronas with a bit of lime or lemon is like heaven.

Crownies are just MB in a nice bottle. Drink MB and you are a hard legend, Crownies are for uneducated boat shoe wearing yuppie twigs.

lolesi

First Grade
I brought a case of Kokanee from Dans on saturday for the long weekend, it was $77, but i really enjoyed the beer.

Though my favorite is Heineken and its my beer of choice, i do like VB, and carlton on tap

newman

First Grade
$77 Dollars?!! Holy sh*t.

Its like the equivalent of $35 aussie dollars in Canada, and about the quality of VB or new. Its whats on tap at every pub, they sell it at concerts and sporting events. I should start importing it and reselling.

Surely

Post Whore
sharknows said:
Some of my favs
Carlsberg - best European Beer
Asahi - Japan
Kingfisher - agree with carch
Steinlager - NZ
Coopers Pale Ale best of the Aussies.

But nothing in a bottle can beat draft beer - VB or Carlton for me

Yeah i like that one, at the goldy we went into a pub after breakfast to check it out for later. they had $5 arsehi's, we didn't leave till 7pm.

sharknows

Bench
Surely said:
Yeah i like that one, at the goldy we went into a pub after breakfast to check it out for later. they had $5 arsehi's, we didn't leave till 7pm.

You would've been talking Japanese by then!

newman said:
Ive been getting some great bargains from La Nita in the Nulla. $10 six packs of Holsten (while not the best beer in the world, very drinkable and heaps cheaper than the local equivalent). They also do cases of Becks for $39.00

Becks is now Aussie made and IMO not as good. It's almos impossible to find the real German made stuff now. I was asking at a bottle shop the other day and was told Wollies and coles now own just about all the bottle shops in Australia. They have done a deal with CUB and Lion Nathan to only sell the Aussie stuff Becks, Heineken and Stella.

Latest posts