What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: correct grammar & usage of words

Cagey Mac

Bench
Three of my top four bug-bear are already listed (there/your/too). The missing one is the shortened version of until. Everywhere I look (including some 40+ year-old books) it's shortened it to till. It's in advertising, reputable news services, everywhere. I would love to be corrected, but isn't a till a money drawer, while the shortened version of until is 'til ?

To use in context: It's only three months 'til the Dragons win the premiership.
Truly an apostrophe catastrophe

Kola Emcee

Juniors
nope. too many asterix's. ;-)

I saw asterisks in big pat's post, but Asterix was nowhere to be seen?

Asterix01.jpg

Kiki

First Grade
bad spelling and grammar sh*ts me too. but i never use proper punctuation on here coz i am too damn lazy.

SIR LANCELOT

Juniors
as much as i will cop s**t for posting this, i'm sure i'm not the only one who gets frustrated when they see words used in the wrong manner..

so.. here's a crash course in our language for the two groups of three of the most commonly interchanged words..

there - used to describe location or distance, eg, we are going over there
their - used to describe 'belonging', eg, it's their football
they're - is a shortening of two words - they & are. eg. they're going over there

to - this is a linking word, eg. he's going to that club. it's quarter to three
two - it's a number people. it's not that hard..
too - used to describe excess, in addition or as well. eg. i'm going there too. that's too many hamburgers, mr weyman.

i know it's a forum & people don't use the proper grammar (hell, i don't even use captials) however spelling is something that gets right up my nose.. any more common errors out there that we keep on seeing?
HMMMMMMMM !!!! Check it Lad.

Cheers LANCELOT:sarcasm:

St John

Juniors
"The first person singular pronuon is meant to be capitalised. As is the first letter of the first word in a sentence. You can't be a grammar nazi while at the same time ignoring captilisation conventions (and yes, I saw your admission)."

Nazi should always be written with a capital n.

The word "Nazi" has been one of Germany's greatest gifts to the English language.

boxa777

Coach
I'm pretty much like the Kikster.. Bad grammar sh*ts me if I'm reading something that is meant to be professional but on a forum I am simply too lazy to keep up proper punctuation, nor do i expect others to..

The only one that sh*ts me is Fien and Fein. Get it right.

W.Smith

Juniors
The xample with 'Mr Myles is this your poo in the corridor' was a cracker !!

good done muzby :lol:

Slackboy72

Coach
Here's one that always make me open threads thinking somethings wrong:

resigned/re-signed - Always open a thread thinking one of our players quit, when in actual fact, hes extended his contract.

That's my big bug-bear too.

Come on people, this is stuff we learned in third grade (year 11 in Queensland apparently).