What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Current Affairs and Politics

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
If successful, Brisbane 2032 could demonstrate a viable model for hosting the Olympics that balances ambition with practicality, potentially reshaping how future Games are planned and executed.
I think its a big if. Miles has often repeated that the IOC have made it clear that cities shouldn't spend excessively on new infrastructure to support the olympics, but seeing the 100m event at a half patched up QEII sounds a bit shit tbh.

He's in a tough spot. Spend less now for political gain and run the risk of being linked to a shitty olympics or invest in new infrastructure and have people flame him for spending too much in the lead up to an election.

I bet he wishes they never bid for it.

ImTheMan

Juniors
What he is doing is politically sensible. All of the polling suggests people in QLD are more interested in cost of living than the Olympics.
A problem of their own making, or as Bandwagon says, "Muh cumsock *smashes penis* on keyboard, re3eeeee racist SCOMo!n!! ok Alexa search Tony Abbott with his shirt off show me what a real alpha looks like'

ImTheMan

Juniors
You really are a dumb merkin. I mean really f**king dumb, not everyday dumb, but village idiot poke a stick at him and he makes funny noises kinda dumb
Is every comment on that most recent SMH article this and you are the special one? Oh dear. God forbid you look at anything right of center you sensitive soul

"Zero population growth is the way to go for a liveable society and sustainable environment"

Wow this is the SMH Most Respected

Hahahahahah

"
Always a sham commitment. Will they now shave a corresponding amount from immigration for the period? ":(

"Government could take the easy option and pause immigration until we work out a population that is sustainable and has infrastructure in place to support it."

:eek:

Top comment:

"
Totally self inflicted.

Cut population growth to manageable rational levels and watch the housing crisis evaporate."

:eek:

"Hi Mitch (Bandwagon), increased demand leads to higher prices, higher prices lead to increased supply. You don't just get new supply magically appearing without prices increasing.
In the same way a large supply of new labour in the form of new immigrants pushes labour prices down. It's why real wages have been falling in Australia.
That's just supply and demand economics 101."
See just listen to me bro. I told you this before you went on thousand word rants of trash.

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
QLD would have known through experience that the Feds can giveth and then taketh away. They should have planned for that scenario.
They should have known in 2019 that there would be a global pandemic which would impact the world economy akin to the GFC ? Is that realistic?

———-8<———

The Australian federal government has committed to significant financial support for the Brisbane 2032 Olympics, including a promise to cover half the costs of critical infrastructure, which includes sports venues, the Olympic village, and necessary transport infrastructure. This partnership involves a 50/50 funding split between the federal government and the Queensland state government, amounting to an estimated $4.9 billion USD for the Olympic venues.

https://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parlia...p/BudgetReview202122/BrisbaneOlympicGames2032

However, there have been discussions about the potential for cost overruns. The federal government has emphasized that funding will only support infrastructure deemed crucial for the Games, overseen by a joint Olympic Infrastructure Agency to ensure responsible spending.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1114368/brisbane-2032-cost-to-exceed-estimates

https://swimswam.com/aussie-government-injects-5billion-into-brisbane-2032-olympic-venue-investment/

The Australian government has not backed down on its financial promises but has put measures in place to manage costs effectively.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1114368/brisbane-2032-cost-to-exceed-estimates

ImTheMan

Juniors
Bandwagon realizing having an alternative, obscure opinion doesn't make him special, just stupid

furry-cry.gif

You are still special to your 576 gender community Cumwagon, it's okay :x Maybe My Little Pony has an episode on economies or something

Gronk

Staff member
Definitely a problem of their own making. An own goal in a stadium without seats.
It has seats FFS. The current government have gone down this path, after following the advice of John Coats.

Both parties in QLD are backing the tightening of the purse strings.

In 1948 the London Olympics, shortly after WWII, was deemed the Austerity Games, however in the wash up it is known as one of the great Olympic Games, where the focus was on the althletes.

The 2032 Olympics bidding process, with Brisbane the only city making a submission, is a warning shot over the bow that it could become the Uncle Charlie of sport, like the Commonwealth games.

1721768030260.png

Bandwagon

Staff member
Bandwagon a partisan hack, literally not a single leftwing comment agrees with you on SMH articles of the last two years on the subject.
What's wrong Cumwagon? Sort comments by "Most Respected". You aren't smart or even useful to be honest. You are a very tiny minority with an agenda even with your own kind.
Is every comment on that most recent SMH article this and you are the special one? Oh dear.

You actually believe that directing me to the comments section of SMH articles to make your argument is somehow compelling?

Geez, you are so much more special than I ever thought, so so special

Lolz, just so many lolz.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
They should have known in 2019 that there would be a global pandemic which would impact the world economy akin to the GFC ? Is that realistic?

———-8<———

The Australian federal government has committed to significant financial support for the Brisbane 2032 Olympics, including a promise to cover half the costs of critical infrastructure, which includes sports venues, the Olympic village, and necessary transport infrastructure. This partnership involves a 50/50 funding split between the federal government and the Queensland state government, amounting to an estimated $4.9 billion USD for the Olympic venues.

https://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parlia...p/BudgetReview202122/BrisbaneOlympicGames2032

However, there have been discussions about the potential for cost overruns. The federal government has emphasized that funding will only support infrastructure deemed crucial for the Games, overseen by a joint Olympic Infrastructure Agency to ensure responsible spending.

https://swimswam.com/aussie-government-injects-5billion-into-brisbane-2032-olympic-venue-investment/

The Australian government has not backed down on its financial promises but has put measures in place to manage costs effectively.

I know how state and commonwealth funding on major infrastructure projects work and am basing my comments on what is actually happening rather than what is being reported. The criteria around what the Feds will fund is problematic as it is on many other infrastructure projects across the state.

Agree that COVID is a significant factor and something they couldn’t have predicted, but I wasn’t suggesting they should have.

ImTheMan

Juniors
You act like all other opinions are bizzare or idiotic. Yet those on the left of politics agree with me and espouse the same Economic theories. It just proves you are either a troll or as dumb as a bag of Kamala's. Goonwagon has very special, obscure opinions.

Cumwagon posting steps:
1/ Disagree, accuse of racism
2/ Strawman, Source?
3 / lol x as a source is hilarious
4 / Ad hominen, cries

Routinely boring

*Sips Suntory*
Kanpai!

Gronk

Staff member
I know. I watched a shit load of Broncos games there during my uni days. Even saw U2 do their Pop Mart tour with the big f**k off olive.

They are benches rather than seats but you can definitely sit on them.
The SMH link I posted refers to temporary seating, so it's going to be upgraded.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
The SMH link I posted refers to temporary seating, so it's going to be upgraded.
Yeah 14,000 of the f**kers for a period of 4 weeks. Not the greatest return on investment but it’s still significantly less $ than a rebuild of the Gabba or a new stadium at Herston.