What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Joey drugs bust

Gronk

Staff member
Joey Johns caught with ecstasy

Thursday Aug 30 05:00 AEST
By ninemsn staff
Rugby league legend Andrew Johns has been arrested for possession of an ecstasy tablet in London.
Police stopped the 33-year-old former Australian Test captain at Kings Cross underground station on Sunday afternoon.
Johns was found with one ecstasy tablet, and was released with an official warning — meaning he now has a criminal record in Britain. The rugby great had reportedly been partying at The Church, an all-day club at Kentish Town that is popular with Australian expats and tourists.
He was not charged over the incident and is free to return to Australia, but if he is ever caught in another similar situation he could face court.
Johns was searched as part of a British Transport Police operation in the London underground to catch drug users travelling to the Notting Hill Carnival.
The former footy star was one of 206 people arrested for drugs possession in London over the British holiday weekend.
Police confirmed last night that "an Australian man in his 30s was arrested and cautioned for possession of an ecstasy tablet".
Johns had been holidaying in Britain, and had spent the previous week attending the Challenge Cup final at Wembley stadium and coaching the rugby union club Harlequins.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=291063

bartman

Immortal
One tablet? Stopped at Kings Cross station?

There must be over a million people pass through there each day in peak hour... trust Joey to be the one to get stopped by the Bill and caught with that night's party starter in his pocket!

bartman

Immortal
Mind you, thinking about that area of London, I wouldn't be surprised if he had just bought it somewhere in the surrounding streets of Kings Cross station...

Gronk

Staff member
Drug dogs are at the top of the escalators at Bondi Junction station at least a few times a month. I suspect that's the way he got caught.

jk13

First Grade
nah u got it all wrong. an unknown person placed it in his pocket and he forgot to take it out. gees i'm getting sick of all these unknown people getting accused, who will stick up for them!

Suitman

Post Whore
His excuse is a poor and cowardly attempt to get himself off the hook.
I would have more respect if he had come clean, and used his predicament for the wider good. This is a very poor example to set to all those who see him as a hero.

I'm surprised he didn't use the Warney defence - "my mother gave it to me".

Suity

Parra R 4 Me

Juniors
The thing is what was he doing with 1 anyway? How many had he had or used prior to forgetting about the one left in his pocket. If he didn't have them or it in the first place he won't have got caught, he was only lucky he wasn't in Bali. The newspaper headlines might of being saying something different, Shame on you Joey.

Hindyscrack

Bench
Parra R 4 Me said:
The thing is what was he doing with 1 anyway? How many had he had or used prior to forgetting about the one left in his pocket. If he didn't have them or it in the first place he won't have got caught, he was only lucky he wasn't in Bali. The newspaper headlines might of being saying something different, Shame on you Joey.

Thats right, London and Bali are two DIFFERENT places...

There must of been hundreds of people passing through the same station with the same stuff on or in them that evening.

Sterling

Juniors
Parra Guru said:
I see now he's retired, the NRL don't have to pay the media to be quiet ;-)

exactly !

newcastle residents i know always told me he would be off his face every time they saw him out in a club .... big drug head .... was protected though ....

Suitman

Post Whore
Sterling said:
exactly !

newcastle residents i know always told me he would be off his face every time they saw him out in a club .... big drug head .... was protected though ....

Luke McDougall was tested and banned.
Was Joey never tested?

Suity

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
I would have more respect if he had come clean, and used his predicament for the wider good. This is a very poor example to set to all those who see him as a hero.

I just uttered the exact same thoughts to friends here at work - thats scary we are on the same wavelength!

carson

Juniors
Good lesson to all the kiddies out there, never walk around a train station or any other mass transport system with drugs in your pockets.

You should always take them all before you go out or buy them at the venue!!

Suitman

Post Whore
JessEel said:
I just uttered the exact same thoughts to friends here at work - thats scary we are on the same wavelength!

:lol: :lol:

Not really THAT scary Jess. :lol:

Suity