What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: New tactic to motivate the players?

When most teams are sliding haplessly towards relegation, their fans traditionally decide that the best way for them to help their faltering heroes is by shouting very positive things extremely loudly for the entire duration of each game - or at least until their side go 3-0 down, at which point they can start muttering under their breath about it being the "same old rubbish", and asserting that "we've got no chance if we play like that. No chance", on the condition that they resume shouting positive things at the start of the next game.

In Argentina, however, they do things rather differently. Yesterday morning Natalio Mirkin, the home ground of relegation-threatened Primera División side San Martín de Tucamán, was raided during a first-team training session by a group of 50 or 60 gun-toting fans. As bullets were fired into the air, the players were told that failure to win each of their three remaining matches would lead to their families being targeted, and missiles being fired at their cars.

"There were threats that if we didn't win the nine points we would have to face the consequences," sobbed forward Cristian Canio. "Then they began to draw their weapons. They went away shouting and arguing and firing shots into the air. We are all worried as we have families." The players were so worried that most of them turned up for the afternoon training session by taxi, leaving their cars well out of missile-firing range. "What happened doesn't scare me," responded manager Carlos Roldán. "But it has hurt us. We needed to work on the players' physical and mental health - now we must work harder to make them feel no pressure."
Club president Roberto Dilascio, meanwhile, has tried to play down the whole palaver. "One should not exaggerate what happened," he claimed. "The players understand that this is football. When you're having a bad season, it is normal that the fans try to address the situation." It's tough to argue with Dilascio, especially when our basic grasp of amateur psychology would suggest that Michael Owen and co might have pulled their fingers out if an enterprising Geordie had pointed a missile-launcher at their Baby Bentleys. A trick for Alan Shearer to keep up his sleeve for next season, perhaps.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/fiver/0,,415657,00.html

McLovin

Staff member
FK Yeah!!! I've got a spare remington bull-action rifle if anyone needs it...

chewsta

First Grade
and i just happen to have a few WWII sticky bombs lying around..

(No pun or subtle threat intended Ricky). :)

newman

First Grade
That made me LOL so loud. Seriously.

The players were so worried that most of them turned up for the afternoon training session by taxi, leaving their cars well out of missile-firing range

spider

Coach
Yesterday morning Natalio Mirkin, the home ground of relegation-threatened Primera División side San Martín de Tucamán
ha ha

merkin of a stadium to play at

FK Yeah!!! I've got a spare remington bull-action rifle if anyone needs it...
Say Mclovin Is that a typo ? do you mean Remington Bolt Action? If so is it a tube fed one? 22 calibre?If so you have a fine varmint rifle. The longer Barrel and tube feed give it more weight towards end of Barrel and it therefore kicks up less and can be held more steady.The superb action of the bolt feed also made subsequent shots much more deadly. That is my theory anyway . I had one as a kid and shot many roos ,rabbits , foxes and other cute furry creatures.My mates easily outshot me on a rifle range but not out in the bush.Oh yeah-- I dont think the tube fed ones were too common for some reason so if you really do have one you better hang on to it
However as its more modern day urban warfare being advocated here I think the AK-47 would be far more effective.