What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: NRL News: Tigers sideline Justin Olam talks, ARL considers State of Origin eligibility change

Frenzy.

Immortal
The NRL is pondering the biggest State of Origin eligibility shake-up in its history, in a move that could open the door for players from tier-one nations England and New Zealand.

One of Michael Maguire’s first jobs as NSW coach will be to provide advice on an overhaul of the State of Origin eligibility rules.

ARL Commissioner Wayne Pearce wants to be in position to put forward a plan for Origin’s future early in 2024, with a view to having new rules in place for next year’s series.

The biggest bone of contention is whether Origin should be open to players who meet the state guidelines but have pledged their allegiance to tier one nations England and New Zealand.

The rule change would allow the likes of Victor Radley to wear a Blues jersey despite playing their international football for the Poms.

Pearce wants to speak to the Origin coaches, which means Maguire and Billy Slater will have direct input into the future of the respective jerseys and who wears them.

Proposed Origin eligibility rule changes means players like Victor Radley could represent NSW despite pledging his international allegiance to England. Picture: Getty Images

Proposed Origin eligibility rule changes means players like Victor Radley could represent NSW despite pledging his international allegiance to England. Picture: Getty Images

Interestingly, Maguire may have been conflicted had he retained the New Zealand job. His only concern now is NSW and you suspect Maguire would be keen to have the option of selecting Radley if possible, particularly given the way the Blues have performed in recent years.

Likewise, Slater could suddenly have Jason Taumalolo at his disposal if the rules are changed Origin is opened up to a new group of players.

The issue has been a discussion point for years but ARL Commission chair Peter V’landys has charged Pearce with plotting a way forward, while at the same time ensuring the Origin concept isn’t diluted.

Maguire also came to the rescue of international rugby league this week when he personally chauffeured the Golden Boot back from New Zealand.

The award will be presented this week and Maguire carried it in his luggage across the Tasman before handing it over to officials when he arrived at NSW Rugby League headquarters for the press conference to officially unveil him as Blues boss.

The Origin eligibility shake-up could finally allow Jason Taumalolo to represent Queensland. Picture: Getty

The Origin eligibility shake-up could finally allow Jason Taumalolo to represent Queensland. Picture: Getty

DJDL

Bench
I think it'll get the go ahead.

With the current surge in wokeism, and the push to recognize people who 'identify as a woman/man' as their chosen gender, maybe it's time to accept players who 'identify as a Queenslander'.

Frenzy.

Immortal
I think it'll get the go ahead.

With the current surge in wokeism, and the push to recognize people who 'identify as a woman/man' as their chosen gender, maybe it's time to accept players who 'identify as a Queenslander'.
Maybe, but if this is the case why not merge the NRL with the NRLW and let all the genders, pronouns and phuqued up weirdos play together.

Geez, I'd even give Greta Thunberg a contract.

Maybe, but if this is the case why not merge the NRL with the NRLW and let all the genders, pronouns and phuqued up weirdos play together.

Geez, I'd even give Greta Thunberg a contract.
I’d love to see Greta getting put into the turf by a couple of big angry forwards.

Latest posts