What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT- Obstruction plays

Stake Removed

First Grade
Already today there has been like 6 obstruction plays, everyone stands there defence makes the tackle game carries on.
The defence should stand there not make a tackle, the ref will have to penalise them, you can't be told to make a tackle.
If player with ball drops to ground, he will be penalised for a voluntary tackle.

SharkShocked

Bench
Already today there has been like 6 obstruction plays, everyone stands there defence makes the tackle game carries on.
The defence should stand there not make a tackle, the ref will have to penalise them, you can't be told to make a tackle.
If player with ball drops to ground, he will be penalised for a voluntary tackle.
Mate.

Legitimately when is the last time you can ever recall this happening.

No chance a referee rules this.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Mate.

Legitimately when is the last time you can ever recall this happening.

No chance a referee rules this.

Chad dived on a loose ball the other night and just lay there like a petrified log. Defender standing over him looking at the ref as if to say "Hey mate, this is a voluntary tackle" Nothing happened so he put his hands gently on Chad's back. Should of employed Hornswoggle's Tadpole Splash

SharkShocked

Bench
Chad dived on a loose ball the other night and just lay there like a petrified log. Defender standing over him looking at the ref as if to say "Hey mate, this is a voluntary tackle" Nothing happened so he put his hands gently on Chad's back. Should of employed Hornswoggle's Tadpole Splash
It’ll either go one or two ways each time. It gets embarrassing for the bloke on the ground so he makes the smallest possible effort to crawl into a tackle / minimal movement to get up.

Or the defence get bored of looking like a statue and put a hand on or throw their body weight on for the easy body check.

It may still be in the rule book. But it’s gone from the nrl interpretation memo that they all run off.

Quigs

Immortal
The best way, well it was in the good old days, to treat a player laying there in a voluntary tackle was to rapidly approach the prone player from the refs line of view so as to obstruct any actual contact. i.e he (the ref) could only watch your back as you moved between him (the ref) and the prone player.

When closer you actually swerve a bit angle wise and appear to body slam the player on the ground. Usually across the back or if he is on his back across the chest. With your closest arm held higher then as you are coming down you hold your furthest arm close and tight to your chest with a rigid clenched fist.

At the same time as your body weight impacted the grounded player your clenched fist would impact the jaw or the cheek of such player usually rendering him unfit to play the ball or continue in the game.

I would assume that with the current state of the game and the fact that there are 49 thousand cameras around the field then that type of fun would not go unnoticed or detected.

Bloody modern game has gone to shit

Ozzi_78

First Grade
Wariors win came from a blatant obstruction.... i couldnt believe it when i saw the replay

Stake Removed

First Grade
That’s what I expected to read when opening this thread. Or the bomb contest for our try. Not this stuff.
I don't believe that McInness did anything wrong the Dragons blocker was at fault, if he gets out of the way, there player has a chance.

In the Raiders Knights game. There was incident Miller went to take bomb looked like he was hit mid air by Raiders player he blew up, again his own player took him out by accident.

The blockers cause issues, we have been caught on this before you seem them moving back no intention of catching the ball just trying to put off the attacker

Quicksilver

Bench
Diving on a ball isn't really a voluntary tackle though.

Stake Removed

First Grade
A friend of mine years back said Ian Roberts had photo of Garry Jack in his office, the one where he got his jaw broken

morton's beanie

Juniors
Im surprised as players relax / basically surrender standing up, that someone hasn’t attempted to strip the ball 1 on 1.
Probably get penalised because he'd surrendered and placing a hand on him constituted a tackle.

I agree with OP. The ball carrier cannot advance or pass the ball without being penalised for the obstruction he's already committed. If the defence refuse to make the tackle and the attack can't move the ref is gonna have to do something to get things going and to my knowledge his only option would be to penalise the obstruction play.

It'd look like shit though.

Stake Removed

First Grade
Probably get penalised because he'd surrendered and placing a hand on him constituted a tackle.

I agree with OP. The ball carrier cannot advance or pass the ball without being penalised for the obstruction he's already committed. If the defence refuse to make the tackle and the attack can't move the ref is gonna have to do something to get things going and to my knowledge his only option would be to penalise the obstruction play.

And it should be a penalty, it always was a penalty but for some reason the NRL dosent want to penalise

SharkShocked

Bench

Not if he’s standing. Which happens heaps when they pull up after a player has run the wrong line. They stand there waiting to be hugged / relax. That’s when I’d go for it.

Latest posts