What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Pokies -Tougher times ahead

How much do we get from the NRL each year?

I would think this is a major source of income ... well it SHOULD be except Gallop has continually undersold the game.

And generally NRL sponsorships are massively undersold (when you compare to AFL)

I think it is about 3.4 Million, the grant that each club gets, which is a slice of the TV pie, plus our slice of the Merchandise revenue, which the NRL makes money off and not us, because be it the current logo or the retro logo, the Parramatta Eels do not own the copyright on the logo and hence see no royalties from its use.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Who cares if problem gamblers lives are wrecked by pokies. At least we get to see football.

If pokies weren't invented I wonder if footy would have survived.

Who cares if problem gamblers lives are wrecked by pokies. At least we get to see football.

As the Son of a problem gambler, I have seen first hand the devastation gambling can have, but I honestly believe that is a problem for the gamblers and their addiction, and to a point lack of self control, and a bigger point their self delusion that playing the Machines can get them out of an financial strife they put themselves in. A Majority of people can play the machines for entertainment and a flutter with no adverse financial effects, it is a small percentage who can not.

All Gambling is rigged towards the house, you gamble the same ammount everytime the house will take you. That is all Gamblers simply need to understand, but they delude themselves that the 1 in a million shot will get them if they gamble long enough.

born an eel

Bench

and as long as you can pick up your pay check week. :crazy:

Families are also wrecked by alcohol, maybe we should stop selling that as well. :sarcasm:

Delboy

First Grade
I am not sure the issue would be raised the way it is, pokies , if the govt had not put them in the pubs to befriend the pub industry under the then Minister.

That appears to have done more damage than the club industry, but then people voted them in and we continue to pay the price.

Problem gamblers have an addiction, much like my mother which was not gambling but alcohol, they would have found something to keep them addicted. I think the only positive is that the clubs provided support for junior sport and their patrons, this has obviously been sucked dry in this state.

parra pete

Referee
I say 'thank god' for poker machines. They bumped up the price of our pub when we sold it. The buyers were only after the pokie licences. As soon as they brought the pub, they shifted them out of town, delicensed the Hotel, and sold it off to people who are, in the long run, going to use it as a Steak House.
The town was 'overstocked' with pubs. Fifteen years ago there were 7 pubs, four Clubs, 2 Licenced Supermarkets, a Winery. After a couple of Hotel fires, plus the delicensing of our pub, there are now just four pubs, two fully operating Clubs and the Winery. This for a population of 3000...
It is amazing how things change. When Jack Argent and his group of the time built the PLC it was seen as necessary for the Club to compete.
Now it seems the PLC is there for the Club to survive.
As for poker machines, I know how they are 'slanted for the house'. There would not be as many in Clubs if they were there for the 'players'. We had one customer (he's dead now) who used to put his whole wages through the machines. It was no good telling him not to play them. He would walk across the road and play them at the Club. He was in denial. He had some big wins, but we got it all back, plus some in the long run. But he accepted it. I often asked him if he wanted to be 'excluded, but he didn't. He was a single bloke, who owned his own house and car - it was his choice to play them and who am I to tell another person how to spend their money.
(RIP Poor old Bob, great mate, a good bloke who was well liked by all who knew him.)

eels81236

Bench
W'ell be OK. It was guaranteed. Plus there was a plethora of sponsors that signed the very day that DF left was there not?

carson

Juniors
They have banned smoking, now they are trying to cure us all from our gambling addiction, I guess the next evil sin that will need to be stomped out will be our alcoholism.

Very soon a trip to the leagues club will mean a nice chin wag over a cuppa!!!

Fine times ahead!!!

parra pete

Referee
Perhaps instead of the Leagues Club propping up the football Club, deals could be done with a couple of the Hotels...especially the Pubs around Cabramatta, Fairfield.

parra pete

Referee
W'ell be OK. It was guaranteed. Plus there was a plethora of sponsors that signed the very day that DF left was there not?

Denis was only kidding when he said he could not guarantee the existence of the Club in five years. He was being a bastard.
He should have adopted the Three Wise Monkey pose, hear no evil, see no evil speak no evil.
He was such an amateur, who knew absolutely nothing on how to read the signs after 30 years in the business.

Stagger eel

Staff member
See the problem here is that, in my opinion some people are missing the big picture and are holding on to a notion that Membership will be our savior, if the Leagues Club were to ever fall, if the Leagues club could not manage to put in a single cent, then memberships, which were much maligned by the old administration would save the day.

I certainly don't carry that opinion however I do believe we should be less reliant of them.

The maths on that is wrong, purely, simply, wrong.

From the seating figures at Parramatta stadium, if we were to get the entire venue sold up as members. That is not a single seat for sale for any opposition or casual Parramatta fans, 21,487 Members, the clubs revenue from that is a tick over 5.1 Million dollars.

Then you have to counter that with the costs of hire for the stadium. Taking Mr Libertini's numbers which were discussed with Suity and I after the AGM, which indeed are numbers we have heard from various sources in previous administrations, you need to get Parramatta Stadium, approximately 33% full before you make a profit. You need approximately 7000 members across all membership groups before the club makes a single cent after stadium Hire each year.

I have taken each seating type, and then taken 33% of those and translated that into Membership numbers, and then membership revenues. These figures will not be completely accurate, but they point to a cost of about $1.68 Million to hire the venue per year. That indeed might be on the cheep side considering the discount members receive and that I have taken evenly from all 5 seating types..

have you taken the corporate facilities into account? or are they 1 part of the 5 seating types?

Last time I checked, the leagues club was tipping in more than $6 million a year, indeed going into the notional red to pay its way.

But if that is the case then memberships could only fill at a Maximum a black hole of $3.4 million to the club. Now I know people also felt Parramatta were well undersold on sponsorship revenue, but you are talking about an increase of 2.6 Million in sponsorship. I honestly don't think we were that undersold.

But hey at least we arn't publicising the situation at the moment, we can sit home happy and concentrate on believeing that we could acheive the seemingly impossible to ensure our club is free of this issue.

how do you come to the conclusion that we weren't undersold in sponsorship? out of that 2.6 million, how much have we given back to our clients? I'm told that that the quantity of sponsors isn't an issue but we appear to be over generious to our corporate partners with their packages.

Stagger eel

Staff member
isnt he the sponsor man?

mmmm!! yeah i guess...

I believe he's still involved in the club in some way but I'm not entirelly certain that he carries the same position as he's always had, you'll probably need to confirm that with the club...

I certainly don't carry that opinion however I do believe we should be less reliant of them.

The problem with that, as I see it is that we wish to replace what is a largely predictable income stream with one that as far as I can see over the last 4 or 5 years evidence that I have been looking into is completely transient based on the clubs on-field performance. Indeed something Ozzie spoke about keeping during lean times at the AGM and the "Rewards Booklet", So the club regognise this may be an issue. I want a club to be there in the fine or foul, and Memberships at this time is not an income method that has been successfully sustained without sustained victories. So Unless we are Man United, we can expect a Dip in membership numbers on a trend if we have a poor year. The Memberships Numbers 07 - 08 - 09 - 10 show that to be self evident. 5000 - 5500 - 3870 - 5300 (so far publicised)

have you taken the corporate facilities into account? or are they 1 part of the 5 seating types?

There are about 750 seats difference between the Thornett and Cronin stands, but on a whole I would suggest that apart from the Boxes (the 750) the two stand share a similar number of corporate seats, I will admit I did not remove those 750 from the tally, but I think we can all agree they are valued far grater than the notional $300 I would have added to those extra 750 seats.

how do you come to the conclusion that we weren't undersold in sponsorship? out of that 2.6 million, how much have we given back to our clients? I'm told that that the quantity of sponsors isn't an issue but we appear to be over generious to our corporate partners with their packages.

Firstly this seems to be two different issues, well at least to my mind. First how do I come to the conclusion we were not undersold? I believe I said I was of the opinion I don't think we were well undersold. Apart from a few key points our stadium and club sold its signage, Indeed we got a new kit sponsor for the Grand Final as far as I can tell.

The 2.6 million is a figure you would have to generate extra in sponsorship if the entire stadium was sold to membership and the leagues club funding was reduced to zero.

The issue you are discussing in your post is small change comparative to securing an extra 2.6 Million in sponsors funding. I would think you are talking about a low 2 figure % of sponsorship revenue, I am talking about increasing sponsorship revenue by as far as I understand it 100%. As far as i can see, right now, Pain away aren't throwing that sort of money about are they? Especially if the news in the Press was correct about Ozzie courting Pirtek once more.