What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ot. Rules in the game.which annoy us

Victoire

Juniors
Sorry my bad. I haven’t explained my rant properly.
You seem to forget Covid times. No fans at the game were allowed. The FA TV, KAYO, and Foxtel ratings and subscriptions sky rocketed 1000%.
NRL many times have hinted we don’t need bums on seats at the grounds. The above mentioned stakeholders pay more than tickets sold at the game.
Watching the game on a screen at home and not witnessing the ridiculous GREY subjective calls made by one ref this week then let go by another ref next week live at the game is ruining the game for hardcore rusted on fans like me. Yes I go to almost every home game.

It’s the casual supporters who also watch the AFL and the NRL will decide if this game will grow.
AFL in Melbourne gets over 70000 fans to just 1 local game. And over 20000 to just a training session.
We will be lucky to get 10000 to our next game against the Dogs.
Get rid of the subjective new rules or never grow the game support bigger.
We weren't the only sport that played to empty stadiums in covid though.
And with respect, grey subjective calls by referees have been happening since the game was invented. I highly doubt it's causing fans to leave the game, any more than it did back in 1975 when Johnny Raper wrote this article in RLW:

(Fancy complaining that noted Saints hater Kevin Roberts would help out the Dragons. Chook must have lost his mind coaching Cronulla.)

And I never watch AFL (from my perspective it's an incoherent mess that barely looks like it has any discernible rules??) but I think it's attendance figures are more a deeper cultural thing in Victoria as well as a game-viewing experience (presumably it looks less shit in person?) rather than referee related.

kit66

Bench
I was reading over the game rules on the NRL website recently to double check some rules that the refs seem to ignore lately, namely voluntary tackles that should be penalized and the marker stepping around the tackled player and diving on a played ball when no dummy half is in position to pick it up - this is allowed provided that player doesn't then lay there in a voluntary tackle but attempts to rise and play on - but the refs always seem to penalize it.
The voluntary tackle penalty should be enforced like it's meant to be as it happens way too often. I'd be directing my players not to lay a hand on the guy and demand a penalty if he doesn't get up.
One thing I couldn't confirm in the rule book, although I'm certain I have right is that a team kicking a field goal gets the ball back from a kick off - correct ? In which case, why don't teams ever employ that as a 6th tackle option when nothing else is on, at least you'll get the ball back for another set. I realize there's the risk of giving away a 7 tackle set if it goes dead but if you're in a really good position and have a decent kicker - not Hunt obviously - why not and it could just as well end up in goal rather than go dead if you miss. Also handy in close games.

Someone suggested that the 6 agains are overkill and would be better to be worth an extra 2 or 3 tackles rather than 6. Not a bad idea as 6 agains don't account for additional fatigue they introduce to often already fatigued players.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Great point Kit66 on voluntary tackles. As soon as a player falls to the round without being touched he should be penalised if no attempt is made to get up and run. Instead a player drags him over the line in 1 motion and is penalised.

Is there a rule about feeding scrums in the middle as well as from memory as soon as the ball went in the second row it used to be a differential penalty. Why was that rule changed.

justadragon

Bench
I actually have been noticing the outcry's particularly about 6 agains and the ability of the ref to determine the outcome. Taking into account where 6 agains are given usually when a team is right on the attack, I understand the theory trying to keep the game flowing and exciting and usually the attacking team scores, the crowd is pumped either way blah blah blah. I think the purpose is correct but the punishment is too great and has a massive effect on the game via fatigue. I would still like to see the same concept but instead of 6 again make it 1 more and if you impinge max of 3 times then its a penalty, if you impinge consistently throughout the game then it will be a sin bin. That way it still allows the attacking team to have a couple of extra tackles and the defending team not have to cope with up to 20 tackles in one set in their red zone. My theory anyway, feel free to shoot me down anyway you want :)

Dragon David

First Grade
I actually have been noticing the outcry's particularly about 6 agains and the ability of the ref to determine the outcome. Taking into account where 6 agains are given usually when a team is right on the attack, I understand the theory trying to keep the game flowing and exciting and usually the attacking team scores, the crowd is pumped either way blah blah blah. I think the purpose is correct but the punishment is too great and has a massive effect on the game via fatigue. I would still like to see the same concept but instead of 6 again make it 1 more and if you impinge max of 3 times then its a penalty, if you impinge consistently throughout the game then it will be a sin bin. That way it still allows the attacking team to have a couple of extra tackles and the defending team not have to cope with up to 20 tackles in one set in their red zone. My theory anyway, feel free to shoot me down anyway you want :)
All good with your theory justa. However, I think the rule makers will stick with what it is on the basis that the defending team just has to comply with things like being on side, no ruck infringements etc so basically if you don't want to be hit with 6 agains, stay on side and allow the attacking player the chance to play the ball etc. If you don't foul then no 6 agains.

justadragon

Bench
All good with your theory justa. However, I think the rule makers will stick with what it is on the basis that the defending team just has to comply with things like being on side, no ruck infringements etc so basically if you don't want to be hit with 6 agains, stay on side and allow the attacking player the chance to play the ball etc. If you don't foul then no 6 agains.
I agree with what you are saying Dave, in a perfect world where each Ref applied the 6 again in exactly the same manner for exactly the same offence that would be fine,,,,,,,but how often have we seen multiple interpretations by different refs being applied in a very harsh way. All I'm doing is just trying to lessen the impact they have on the game in total, we are seeing some very lob sided scores due to the ref absolutely demolishing one side and gassing them completely for the rest of the game.

Dragon David

First Grade
I agree with what you are saying Dave, in a perfect world where each Ref applied the 6 again in exactly the same manner for exactly the same offence that would be fine,,,,,,,but how often have we seen multiple interpretations by different refs being applied in a very harsh way. All I'm doing is just trying to lessen the impact they have on the game in total, we are seeing some very lob sided scores due to the ref absolutely demolishing one side and gassing them completely for the rest of the game.
I see this too justa, if the Dragons of course are the benefiting team with the 6 agains then I am all for it and bugger the opposing team if they get gassed but yes, all round though each ref has a knack of making life difficult for certain teams and once the opposition can sense that they go all gung ho and lift to make sure the defending team runs out of puff to the extent of being able to score once they get multiple repeats.

We did cop it pretty bad in a few of our games and whether or not they were genuine offences, it's any ones guess. As I have said in another post, how do we know who the ref is "barracking" for in games?

Slippery Morris

First Grade
A great example of how the 6 agains are used to massage results and change momentum. Saints leading Dogs at half time. Dogs had nothing on Saints up until then. Then Ref starts giving 6 agains. Addo-Carr does a flop and nothing given yet Saints before that are smashed. It is so blatant that on the Matty Johns show on Sunday they show the Addo-Carr flop as a joke which was not penalised.

By the way Dogs still deserve to win that as the Dragons folded like a deck of cards after a couple of bad calls. They were still in it and have themselves to blame. But if they did lose by a few then this game would have been more heavily scrutinised. Saints saved their officials backsides and probably why they are most penalised side because they know if they do give a few bad calls, they will fold and cover their obvious bad calls.

justadragon

Bench
I hate all the rules that will be ignored because it is "origin".

If it is good enough to penalise the club sides then it should be good enough to to penalise the origin teams otherwise f**k those rules off all together.
Cant let a simple rule get in the way of a spectacle OT, you know that, got to keep the ratings up and its all about the visual experience :) BTW I totally agree with you !!

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
I hate all the rules that will be ignored because it is "origin".

If it is good enough to penalise the club sides then it should be good enough to to penalise the origin teams otherwise f**k those rules off all together.
I agree. I find it funny how they relax on certain rules because they know people are watching. So what, it's acceptable to make every other game shit by applying soft calls?