What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Speed Cameras

McLovin

Staff member
I know there's a fixed camera pointed towards Woolooware on Captain Cook Drive near Toyota Park. Is there one pointed in the other direction towards Miranda?

Eion

First Grade
I know there's a fixed camera pointed towards Woolooware on Captain Cook Drive near Toyota Park. Is there one pointed in the other direction towards Miranda?
It only tracks one way (towards shark park). A mate who works at the RTA told me that and you can tell by the lines dug into the road, they run across the road, are close together with hoops on the end - apparently what triggers the camera is built into the road, unlike the mobile ones which use the radar.

Now I've been told about the hoops, you can see them around all the fixed cameras, including in the eastern distibutor, where you can't see the actual camera.

Generalzod

Immortal
Talking about speed cameras the RTA just erected a new safety camera on the Kingsway near Dino's auto electrician.

carcharias

Immortal
I am the mellowist driver getting around.
I rarely crack 100 even on the highway.

I have 2 points left.

all from speed camera's...71 in a 60 is my standard breach....plus one 51 in a 40 zone ( 4 points ).

Never been pulled over for speeding or had an accident in 22 years of driving.

they MUST make the fines more and the points lost less.

It is a bloody joke that someone like me could lose their lic for a just few harmless infringments.

Generalzod

Immortal
It's going to get even worse when those Macquarie bank owned mobile speed cameras start operating.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
NSW cameras can't photogrpah you front on apparently, so all camera are one way unless they are on both sides of the road. Privacy laws.
QLD are different. I got busted in 1 & I'm having a coffee & talking on my phone in the picture. So distracted, no wonder i got caught speeding.

carcharias

Immortal
mate I got caught 2 times in one day by the same camera doing the same speed.
71 in a 60.
Henry Lawson dr at picnic point
I wrote a letter and got it downgraded to 1 fine only.
first fine was for 11.11am
second was for 1.11 pm
I tried to argue that the cam was busted

samshark

Juniors
NSW cameras can't photogrpah you front on apparently, so all camera are one way unless they are on both sides of the road. Privacy laws.
QLD are different. I got busted in 1 & I'm having a coffee & talking on my phone in the picture. So distracted, no wonder i got caught speeding.

This is correct. Was just about to post the same.
I am not sure about the fancy new all in one cameras that are rolling out but the existing cameras that have been around for a while only photograph the rear of the car. Dont think its to do with Privacy, more the case that in NSW its not compulsory to have a front number plate on your car.

This is correct. Was just about to post the same.
I am not sure about the fancy new all in one cameras that are rolling out but the existing cameras that have been around for a while only photograph the rear of the car. Dont think its to do with Privacy, more the case that in NSW its not compulsory to have a front number plate on your car.

If that's the case (and the new cameras are confirmed that they can capture both directions of traffic) then everyone should rip off their front numberplate so as to reduce your chances of getting caught.

Eion, confirm with your mate (and this reference did confuse me as you have none) at the RTA and see if the number plate business is correct.

I am also expecting that with these new mobile cameras everyone will have their eyes peeled and as soon as anyone spots one of the basterds they should ring up the radio stations and let them know so that everyone slows down accordingly.

For someone that does close to 200 clicks a day I could be without a license real quick with all these new revenue raisers on the road.

Eion

First Grade
If that's the case (and the new cameras are confirmed that they can capture both directions of traffic) then everyone should rip off their front numberplate so as to reduce your chances of getting caught.

Eion, confirm with your mate (and this reference did confuse me as you have none) at the RTA and see if the number plate business is correct.

I am also expecting that with these new mobile cameras everyone will have their eyes peeled and as soon as anyone spots one of the basterds they should ring up the radio stations and let them know so that everyone slows down accordingly.

For someone that does close to 200 clicks a day I could be without a license real quick with all these new revenue raisers on the road.
Alright you pr!ck it was a mate of a mate. I had him bailed up at a BBQ. Poor bugger was surrounded by about 15 blokes bombarding him for inside info.

Regarding front number plates, motorcycles are exempt and vehicles manufactured where a front plate is not practical. So you can't just go and rip it off your kia.

NUMBER PLATE EXEMPTION
The Roads & Traffic Authority have advised that they have issued an exemption notice in relation to the display of number plates under the provisions of clause 10 of Sch 2 of the Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulation 2007. This exemption took effect on 1 February 2010. The exemption covers clause 61(2)(c)

Clause 61 (2)(c) regarding the display of number plates on a registerable vehicle does NOT apply if:
a) due to the original construction of the vehicle it is not practicable to comply with that subclause; or
b) the number-plate is affixed in a manner that complies so far as practicable with the subclause.

The Dodger

First Grade
Lol

carch, do you really think speeding in a school zone is a nothing offense?

My take on all of this.

I read the old flash cameras cannot take pictures of cars head on because of safety reasons (flash interferes with you're eyesight), but the new infa red cameras canbecause they have no flash.

The camera on the Hume highway near the three swallows is evidence of this.

I used to hoon around.

Ended up losing my license for four years.
Worst time of my life.

Can't take chicks out on a date.
Mates always have to arrange to come and pick you up.
Sucked bad.

I have had my license back for over 8 years now.
Still got my twelve points too.

I have heard after July, they will go back to the old ways of using anymodel car as a radar.
Only warning they need to put up is a sign twenty metres after the spot they are sitting.

And don't get me started on the new safe-T cameras.
More like reven-U cameras.

carcharias

Immortal
Lol

I don't consider 51 to be speeding...and I am a very careful driver.
I consider 40 kmph to be a money grabbing swindle by the gov.

In my defence it was going through that cesspool Beverlly Hills.
2 seperate speed cams in the space of about 5oo mtrs.
I thought I was just going with the flow of the traffic ...it was about 3 in the arvo...heaps of traffic.

Generalzod

Immortal
Lol

My take on all of this.

I read the old flash cameras cannot take pictures of cars head on because of safety reasons (flash interferes with you're eyesight), but the new infa red cameras canbecause they have no flash.

The camera on the Hume highway near the three swallows is evidence of this.

I used to hoon around.

Ended up losing my license for four years.
Worst time of my life.

Can't take chicks out on a date.
Mates always have to arrange to come and pick you up.
Sucked bad.

I have had my license back for over 8 years now.
Still got my twelve points too.

I have heard after July, they will go back to the old ways of using anymodel car as a radar.
Only warning they need to put up is a sign twenty metres after the spot they are sitting.

And don't get me started on the new safe-T cameras.
More like reven-U cameras.

I think speeding at schools zones is a nothing offence, What gets me is the amount of people mainly mothers parking illegally around schools..I see that more a problem than speeding.

The Dodger

First Grade
i agree 40km zones are pathetic.

and zod, i totally agree with the double parking, some days i just wich i had a bull bar.

i find the 50km zones in the back streets even worse.
you get fools that go 40km through these streets and when driving home trying to beat traffic, its frustrating.

the reason why i think 40km speed limits are required through school zones is;

the kids, someone needs to think about the kids (although i probably wouldn't have had this frame of mind had i not had a child)

look back and see how many accidenst invloving kids being hit by cars through school zones and you will see why they are more strict in these parts than anywhere else.

anyone remember the little girl who got hit by a car driving through the class room wall?
the thrid degree burns she copped?

not only that, but she also got hit by a car again after that incident, not sure if that was a school zone or not.

but there is one example i can come with.

jc155776

Coach
I have no problem with clearly labelled camers set up to stop people speeding in certain areas with sufficient warning to slow down.

If you are dumb enough to get done by one of those then cop it sweet. These ones actually work at slowing traffic and stop accidents in high accident areas.

I do have issues with the sneaky hidden mobile cameras that you have no idea about until three weeks later. They do nothing to stop someone while they are actually committing the crime.

In QLD the police minister just announced an extra few million to get undercover radar cars. The head of the Police Union came out saying they don't reduce speeding or speed related fatalities and they want the money spent on extra police and higher visibility policing. The actual police are ignored and instead the Government trot out the "more speed cameras = safer roads nonsense".

More speed cameras and undercover cars have been established in Victoria I think it was and yet their toll has gone up.

Nothing slows you down like the sight of flashing lights.

The Dodger

First Grade
actually, in the article i read about the increase in cameras, they will also be getting an external party for this.

which means, it wont be police officers doing it anymore, it will be a team of people hired specifically for this.

might have some truth since reading JC's post.

McLovin

Staff member
Well that clears it up i guess. Was driving down to Miranda the other night and could have sworn i saw a flash of light in my rear view around the same place as the Toyota Park facing camera. Doing about 75 in a 70 and completely forgot about the zones around that area. Was probably some bored kid flashing passing motorists...

samshark

Juniors
actually, in the article i read about the increase in cameras, they will also be getting an external party for this.

which means, it wont be police officers doing it anymore, it will be a team of people hired specifically for this.

might have some truth since reading JC's post.

Its all about revenue raising. Its been proving that speed cameras havent reduced the number of speed related fatalities. If you think these new fancy mobile speed cameras sound farked now just wait until Macquarie Bank gets their hands into them, which is what has been reported. Anyone parked at Sydney Airport recently, bloody highway robbery.